Tracking the E63.!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Originally Posted by rondocap
Awesome video! That track's layout is easy to follow too, sometimes they can get confusing with all of those orange cones, lol.

What was the E63's strongest points that you felt on the track? The straights?
Thanks man I know, I ignore the cones after the first session. I'd never been on this part of the track, but it was pretty easy to pick up and get quick on.

The E was pretty good all around on this track. I could stick with a C63 w/ P30 and KW Variant 3's for about 5 laps until my tires would get really hot. The weak point would probably be the hairpin and the long right after cresting the hill. Just didn't have quite enough stick to get around them quick enough. The straights were definitely a good part I hit 85-90 on all four of them. Brakes were pretty impressive given the super heat too.!

It's an intense little track since you are pretty much turning the whole lap.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
imho, I think the E63s actually handle better than they feel. By that I mean they don't inspire a great amount of confidence, but if you really push them without thinking that they handle like a pig then you can make them do pretty well.

I've run up in the back mountain twisties with friends who have lighter and stiffer suspension cars and can still do alright keeping up. Those massive brakes really make the difference. imho, the 63 gives you excellent braking power to go into the corners and ample torque to really pull out of them.

I do think they can do better than we think. There is still that massive weight moving around back and forth, and the steering has a less than perfect feel to it, but the power and the brakes make up for a lot, imho. I've also found that PS2s work well on this car to give it sharper turn-in.

What about brake fade while you were out there?

I really love the brakes on this car. And although I sometimes wish I had a steel suspension and coilovers, the airmatic system does what it should be doing on the freeways. Bottom line is these cars are best as autobahn cruisers, imho.

p.s., great video to watch. It would be nice to have another camera on the steering column and watch your rpms and gear selection at the same time on a split screen.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree...they hustle around corners a lot better than most think. My one wish would be to not have my pano roof. Lots of weight in the wrong place.

I got a lot more steering feel and made the steering a lot less light when I put on the 19's and Nitto NT-05s.!! They are great on the track. I think real street tires would have melted yesterday. Brake fade was not too bad, but it happened. Tough to avoid when it's that hot. I'm sure running Motul 600 helped in that respect too. I would get a lot of ABS kicking in near the end of the sessions.

I only ran 2,3,4 the whole course. Only time in 2nd was the hairpin. The rest of the corners were all in 3rd.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Part 2. This part is just sloppy since the tires were greasy and the brakes were starting to burn. Lots of missed apexes slithering around corners. Still fun though, and I almost throw it off at the end of a short chute near the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BhockMImww