Not an E but a Benz with Style

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
Cool

Originally Posted by Max.H
Vic, It's too bad that common sense just doesn't seem to apply here... You can lead a horse to water. But, you can't make it drink.
Correction - you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it THINK.....
Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
Some of you guys are tight. Having been a member on this forum for quite a while now, this forum is great for technical information and for mods that are consistent with the prevalent thought of most forum members. However, once someone differs in thought than what is prevalent on this forum, that poster gets jumped upon.

He's grown. He'll make his own decisions. Whether you agree with them or not, they are ultimately his decisions. I can understand stating your opinion, but to keep pounding it in is too much.

Vic and those of you who are also on myMB will know what I mean when I say that people are much more open-minded to mods over there.

"Stretch and poke" may not be your style. It may or not be "safe", but it's been done for years over in Europe, so it's probably a lot safer than you think. Is it less practical to run a stretch setup on an AMG? Probably, but, again, that's his decision. He's happy with his set-up, so let it be.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by tbone
Some of you guys are tight. Having been a member on this forum for quite a while now, this forum is great for technical information and for mods that are consistent with the prevalent thought of most forum members. However, once someone differs in thought than what is prevalent on this forum, that poster gets jumped upon.

He's grown. He'll make his own decisions. Whether you agree with them or not, they are ultimately his decisions. I can understand stating your opinion, but to keep pounding it in is too much.

Vic and those of you who are also on myMB will know what I mean when I say that people are much more open-minded to mods over there.

"Stretch and poke" may not be your style. It may or not be "safe", but it's been done for years over in Europe, so it's probably a lot safer than you think. Is it less practical to run a stretch setup on an AMG? Probably, but, again, that's his decision. He's happy with his set-up, so let it be.
I agree, and my comments were about the functionality over the looks of the mod.

We dont need to bring this to a lynch mob style of thread. The OP did post his pics so therefore he will face the scrutiny of the reviewers and that has to be expected. Just make sure its done with respect.

Ill argue all day the safety of an over stretched tire outside of the section width of a rim as being not safe or functional on a high performance car. The car does look pretty good standing still.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
1999 E320
Looks great, know you have some other stuff in the works to pull it al together. I said it then and I'll say it again in your thread - my hat is off to you good sir
Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 Silver Pewter Metallic
the car looks sick!!!! i love the look and it took alot of ***** to do. as far as the safety aspect i think you will be more then fine. a few buddies of mine have 600+hp vw's with alot more stretch and poke then what you are running and i havent heard or seen of any issues.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic

Thank You Very much, a lot of people can't seem to understand things like you on this forum, but it is ok. I don't take things to seriously, I like the look and to me that counts the most, if I did it for others I would post a thread before doing it asking everyones opinion on the wheels and how they would stand. I'm very happy there are forum members such as you who are open minded and can see not only the negative side of things but also look the other way.

Thank You Again.

Kamil

Originally Posted by nelson09
Looks great, know you have some other stuff in the works to pull it al together. I said it then and I'll say it again in your thread - my hat is off to you good sir
Thank You Nelson, thanks for the support right from the get go

Originally Posted by dblnikel
the car looks sick!!!! i love the look and it took alot of ***** to do. as far as the safety aspect i think you will be more then fine. a few buddies of mine have 600+hp vw's with alot more stretch and poke then what you are running and i havent heard or seen of any issues.
Same here, I did some research and found a bunch of cars that weigh in around 4K lbs or even more that make huge power and run a even more agressive stretch and are fine.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Keep doing what you're doing. We mod to please ourselves, not to please others.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 AM

E63
like it!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:16 AM

2005 E55 AMG; 2005 CLK 500 (sold)
there you go kam...some better photos on the same link

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-get-done.html
Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
saltydrizzle yours doesn't sit out as far as Kamil's ... look at where the wheel lips are on Kamil's pics...the lip is outside the wheel arches with the tire stretched to the bead with the wheel lip heavily exposed. I think Kamil's is much more aggresive that your setup...and your car seems to be sitting a lot higher...was it a rubbing?

You guys have your "stretch and poke" style...I don't understand it...to me it's unsafe and not my style regardless...but to each their own...just don't blow a bead and cause an accident where someone else can get hurt.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sunir
saltydrizzle yours doesn't sit out as far as Kamil's ... look at where the wheel lips are on Kamil's pics...the lip is outside the wheel arches with the tire stretched to the bead with the wheel lip heavily exposed. I think Kamil's is much more aggresive that your setup...and your car seems to be sitting a lot higher...was it a rubbing?

You guys have your "stretch and poke" style...I don't understand it...to me it's unsafe and not my style regardless...but to each their own...just don't blow a bead and cause an accident where someone else can get hurt.
ok just to respond to this. sorry kamil, dont mean to threadjack...kamil just wanted to see better pics of my car since i just got it done last friday. I was just posting updates. you are correct, my wheel has no poke, its pretty flush to the fender. I understand that his setup is much more aggressive. yes my car is sitting high...right now. i still have some work to do. needs a camber adjustment, and new pirellis. then i will lower it a bit more and adjust the damp. im on 225/35 front, 245/30 rear (10" wide rear wheel) and i have no problems. the only reason im not on standard tires is because they will rub without the camber adjustment. when i get the camber adjusted on the rear i will be switching tires.

as for your comment about his stretch and poke being unsafe.......please post a citation as to where you found that info. people have been stretching tires for a loooong time. Ive see much more aggressive stretches than that with no issues.

thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by saltydizzle
ok just to respond to this. sorry kamil, dont mean to threadjack...kamil just wanted to see better pics of my car since i just got it done last friday. I was just posting updates. you are correct, my wheel has no poke, its pretty flush to the fender. I understand that his setup is much more aggressive. yes my car is sitting high...right now. i still have some work to do. needs a camber adjustment, and new pirellis. then i will lower it a bit more and adjust the damp. im on 225/35 front, 245/30 rear (10" wide rear wheel) and i have no problems. the only reason im not on standard tires is because they will rub without the camber adjustment. when i get the camber adjusted on the rear i will be switching tires.

as for your comment about his stretch and poke being unsafe.......please post a citation as to where you found that info. people have been stretching tires for a loooong time. Ive see much more aggressive stretches than that with no issues.

thanks
Let me preface this with saying that I am an engineer. I can tell you that it's an engineering design fact that a given part has a set of design criteria and specifications which must be adhered to with any other parts that operate in conjunction to an assembly. In this case a wheel (whatever that wheel's size may be) is made to mate with a tubeless radial tire along the bead of the lip of said wheel. A range of acceptable tire widths are provided in the spec and part drawings with an optimal tire with issued for testing purposes. As such a proper tire size is specified in the design criteria for that specific engineered and built part. Anything outside of that design criteria is directly comprimizing the safety of the proper operation of that part..PERIOD.

This is not a matter of "wow that's cool looking" or "I like that style" ...this is pure engineering basic protocol...plan and simple.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sunir
Let me preface this with saying that I am an engineer. I can tell you that it's an engineering design fact that a given part has a set of design criteria and specifications which must be adhered to with any other parts that operate in conjunction to an assembly. In this case a wheel (whatever that wheel's size may be) is made to mate with a tubeless radial tire along the bead of the lip of said wheel. A range of acceptable tire widths are provided in the spec and part drawings with an optimal tire with issued for testing purposes. As such a proper tire size is specified in the design criteria for that specific engineered and built part. Anything outside of that design criteria is directly comprimizing the safety of the proper operation of that part..PERIOD.

This is not a matter of "wow that's cool looking" or "I like that style" ...this is pure engineering basic protocol...plan and simple.
I understand how wheels and tires work. all i am saying is that people have been stretching tires much more aggressively that kamil with absolutely no problems what so ever. people have been doing this for decades. i could honestly care less what your profession is. it does not impress me and for all i know you could be a cook at mcdonalds. please post a few citations from reputable sources. just because a tire shop does not recommend stretching tires does in no way mean that a stretched tire is unsafe. if you drive like an ******* any tire can be considered unsafe.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Stretch tires are common in the drift scene, too. I think this is pretty extreme driving.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM

Please don't cite drifting for anything to do with handling.

As for stretching - Sunir is spot on - it's basic engineering principles.

Here's from Dunlop - probably know more about tires than anyone here:

This is an excerpt from Dunlop Corporations recommendations for rim width:
"RIM WIDTH
Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.

If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat buildup in the lower sidewall, which reduces tire life and could result in failure. Either too narrow or too wide of a rim can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement. "

Wider rims may offer some performance advantages over narrow rims. A wider rim increases the distance between the beads, which results in a straighter sidewall, which stiffens it. This results in quicker steering response and higher cornering forces.
Negatively, the straightened sidewall transmits more road shock to the wheel and suspension, placing greater stress on chassis and suspension parts and delivering a harsher ride. The straighter sidewall exposes the rim, making the wheel more susceptible to damage.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:25 PM

i understand all of that uber...but no where does it say that using a stretched tire is dangerous only that it COULD result in failure, but using any tire COULD result in failure depending on driving habits, the quality of the rubber and road conditions. if it was really as dangerous as some members imply, why have people been stretching tires for decades? Tbone was just citing that even under the most extreme driving conditions, stretched tires will hold up, not fail and become "dangerous". Im not arguing against the uneven wear, reduced traction, or harsher ride claims. i agree with that, but dangerous is a different story.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
Please don't cite drifting for anything to do with handling.

As for stretching - Sunir is spot on - it's basic engineering principles.

"RIM WIDTH
Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.

If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat buildup in the lower sidewall, which reduces tire life and could result in failure. Either too narrow or too wide of a rim can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement. "

Wider rims may offer some performance advantages over narrow rims. A wider rim increases the distance between the beads, which results in a straighter sidewall, which stiffens it. This results in quicker steering response and higher cornering forces.
Negatively, the straightened sidewall transmits more road shock to the wheel and suspension, placing greater stress on chassis and suspension parts and delivering a harsher ride. The straighter sidewall exposes the rim, making the wheel more susceptible to damage.
I did not cite drifting in regards to handling. I cited drifiting in regards to the posts regarding the danger of a stretched tire and the potential for it to pop off. I am not disagreeing that a properly-sized tire IS safer. Rather, a stretched tire is not AS dangerous as some people are making it out. Drifting on a stretched tire poses a much higher probability of the tire popping off than does daily driving.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM

Drifting is NOT the most extreme driving conditions - they are not really stressing the tire because they are intentionally losing traction. The tires WEAR like crazy, but the loads are not extreme due to that fact.

Put those stretched puppies on a car on a road coarse, or on a long high speed sweeper and you risk unseating the bead.

Tires are designed for a specific rim width - all manufacturers specify a range of wheel widths for a particular tire. They know far more on this than we do - and once you do something outside their recommendations - you are decreasing performance and ultimately - risking the bead - which is truly a safety issue.

Anyone that has done "real" performance driving - wouldn't touch this stretching fad.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
I did not say drifting is the MOST extreme. All I said is drifting is more extreme than daily driving, which is what the OP seems to be doing. I don't see where he indicated tracking his car. I would tend to think that if the OP has plans to track his car, he most likely will run a separate set of rims/tires.

Last edited by tbone; 05-26-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:12 PM

i agree that using a stretched tire would not be beneficial in performance driving on a road course. when trackin, you want all the rubber on the road you can get. but we arent talkin performance driving here. were talkin about driving everyday on a stretched tire being dangerous, which, imo from what i have read, is not as dangerous as some members lead you to believe.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:13 PM

I did not say drifting is the MOST extreme. All I said is drifting is more extreme than daily driving, which is what the OP seems to be doing. I don't see where he indicated tracking his car.

i said that but i didnt mean most extreme...just alot more extreme than daily driving. sry for the confusion.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Ugh - perhaps I am not being clear.

Taking an on ramp sweeper at 75 or 80 MPH and pushing the adhesion limits of a tire, or driving the Tail of the Dragon or other curvy backroads can easily surpass the lateral G loads of a drift car. By definition, the drifter is breaking traction - and therefore NOT stressing the sidewall / bead of the tire - they are SPINNING THE WHEELS and simply not pulling the g's.

I would no more trust a stretched tire for my more spirited on-road driving than I would a tired that was underinflated by 20 pounds.

As someone said early on in the conversation - form should follow function.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I agree with uber wagon...but then again what the hell do I know, I've just been racing with BMW, PBOC, NASA GTS Challenge since '03 and instructing for Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, and MB club schools since '04 ....enough with my engineering mumbo jumbo - who knows I could just be some ignorant guy flipping burgers at McDonalds whilst saving money to get some oversized wheels and skinny rubber for my Nissan Silvia drift car...with 2 Jay-Z's in my engine...whatwhat! Hova!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 AM

Moped
Originally Posted by Vic55
Ill argue all day the safety of an over stretched tire outside of the section width of a rim as being not safe or functional on a high performance car. The car does look pretty good standing still.
Because high performance is just a wheel change away. Some like the style, some don't. As you stated the car looks good (subjectively) standing still. He can certainly conform to the mbworld status quo any time he wants (assuming he has another set of wheels.)

It's not uncommon for the "stretch and poke" crowd to have several sets of wheels all at different fitments.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:00 AM

Moped
Originally Posted by Uber Wagon

"RIM WIDTH

Ironically Dunlops stretch pretty well, so do yoko S-drives

18x11 225/40/18

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not an E but a Benz with Style