Am I SOL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Am I SOL?

I know there was somewhat related posts on the issue, but I just paid for and am having installed the Mbrace system on my car for the lifetime subscription price of $299. However, last year (although I cant remember when), I paid the yearly subscription price for Tele-aid. Now, assuming that my year wasnt up, does anyone have any story of where they got a partial-refund for upgrading to Mbrace before their subscription was up? I know the story of someone who bought a 09 S550 and he paid $895 for a teleaid package, but wasnt sure if he got any sort of remuneration.

Anyone have any idea?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I highly doubt it since they are two different vendors. You could likely make a stink with MB and get something. Even a box with AMG stuff inside but I doubt they will cut a check without pressure.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
When I bought my 63 in 09. I got the tele-aid package with one year subscription. Went to set it up, and was told I couldn't because they weren't taking any newcomers. Mbrace was replacing them, but I couldn't have it till Nov '10. It's a joke. Everyone I call at Tele-Aid, or MBrace has no idea about anything. So I assume I'm out all the money, but I won't know for sure till Nov '10 when I can try to activate MBrace.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
I would imagine that anyone in any authoratative position at Tele-Aid should be able issue a partial refund prorated on the number of months remaining?
If nothing works then MB should pick something up as Jangy said, since they are afterall the ones encouraging owners to subscribe.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
No refunds, pro-rated or otherwise. These telematics companies are independent contractors, MB has nothing really to do with them. ATX is the company that runs TeleAid (it's also known as BMW Assist for BMW owners.) Hughes Telematics runs MBrace.

Hughes paid MB a big chunk of $$ to get the contract. The reason it's so confusing (November 2010 date for cars bought before November 2009, etc..) is because there was a lawsuit between ATX and MB (remaining contract issues.)

MBrace offered the lifetime deal to get TeleAid customers. But now MBrace is offering a lifetime deal on "legacy" cars, i.e., 2008-2009 models (the earlier lifetime offer on cars bought after November 2009 is officially over.)

Both MBrace and TeleAid offer pretty close to the same services. ATX also provides telematics to Rolls Royce. Hughes is new to the automobile telematics game. MB is their first customer.

Neither company will give refunds once you've paid for a subscription. But both will offer deals now. TeleAid will reduce the price if you just ask them. Whether you want MBrace or TeleAid is up to you. You don't have to use MBrace if you don't want to.

Last edited by 220S; 05-21-2010 at 02:55 AM.