Sponsored by:

Headliner question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63 AMG & 96 Impala SS
Question Headliner question

Sorry for the long post, but please bear with me as I explain what has lead me to this question.

I had a couple of issues a while back; the driver's door handle was not unlocking when the handle was pulled, the key fob (summer) window option and rear sun shade quit working. So I took it to the dealer, car only had 49,500 miles (still under the factory 4/50 warranty). They said they had to order the door handle, I said fine, I'll bring it back for everything when you get it. I take it back a 2 weeks later and leave it; car has 50,500 miles. The next day the service guy (same guy I spoke to 2 weeks earlier) calls me and says, "Your rear sun shade repair is not covered by the "CPO Warranty" I was about to "remind" him that I was there 2 weeks earlier, BEFORE the factory warranty ran out, when he says, "But as a dealer courtesy, we will cover the $800 repair." So I pick up the car and head home. I'm driving about 40mph with the windows down when I notice something. I look in the overhead rear-view mirror and the rear of the headlines is just flapping away in the wind. I get home and look to make sure its not something simple. I stick my hand between the headliner and the roof to feel for some push-snaps or hooks (I don't know how these things are attached) but I don't feel anything.

So the next day I drop it off again and they "fix" it...or so I thought. On the way home, I'm stopped at a traffic light and I look in the mirror and that's when it hit me. The headliner looks like part of the map for The Tail of the Dragon. I get home and look through the back window and I see a couple of 2"x2" Velcro pads holding the headliner to the roof?! WTF! These appeared to be new since they weren't installed uniformly; one on the driver's side, one in the center and none on the passenger side. Yes, there is a gap and the Velcro is in plain view through the rear window. Unfreakinbelievable.

Now I ask you, "Did MB actually use Velcro to attach the headliner to the roof in a $93,000 car?"
Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
WOW...That is some crappy work...My rear sunshade is Out of Order right now too...I really hope messing with the headliner is not status quo for that repair...By the way, did you see my track videos..? Got the E doin some road course work Figured you'd appreciate them...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by citylightva
My rear sunshade is Out of Order right now too...
Sorry, but I was referring to the rear overhead (Pano) shade, not the rear window shade. My bad for not being clear about that. I don't think the rear window shade would require headliner removal...but don't quote me.

Originally Posted by citylightva
By the way, did you see my track videos..? Got the E doin some road course work Figured you'd appreciate them...
Yes I did and they were great. Awesome track.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 PM

germans
My car is a 55 w/pano, not sure if they are different from the 63. No velcro anywhere on the headliner. The metal framing on the front and rear of the one peice headliner keep it up with the other accessories screwed in.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by gonzjed
The metal framing on the front and rear of the one piece headliner keep it up with the other accessories screwed in.
And THAT is what I would have expected it to be.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
They could have at least used some class and duct taped it