W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

05 E55 - Door lock and tire sensor problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG Sedan
05 E55 - Door lock and tire sensor problems

I searched the board and couldn't find any relative posts so I thought I would put these out there in case others have seen them before;

1. Tire pressure sensors - sometime back the tire deflation light would come on, I would check the tire pressure and reset the sensor. After some time - varied from minutes to hours - the light would come on again. Getting sick of this I turned the tire sensor off. This just left an annoying message that the sensor was off every time I started the car. Recently I now get the message something like - Tire pressure sensor deactivated - drive car to shop. Anyone else seen this? Can I reset it somehow?

2. Push button door lock on driver and driver side rear door not working. When I leave the car I used to lock it by pressing the button on the driver door. That stopped working some time ago. Ok, then I locked it by pressing the button on the driver side rear door. Now that's stopped working. Passenger side front and rear door buttons still work. Anyway to reset this.

If I disconnect the battery to do a full system reset what problems can arise? What settings will be lost? Does the radio have a security code? I bought the car used and don't have a radio code.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
F-250
The two problems you are having are common for the year. The TPMS sensors have a battery life of 3-4 years. You are there, and they are likely beginning to fail. It only takes one to fail, and the system will error.

Solution- New TPMS Sensors

The door handle, especially the drivers door seems to fail at about 5 years. I did a lot of reading, and it seems to just be due to the use. Sounds like you wore out the rear drivers side too.

Solution- Replacement

Again, these are very common for a 2003-2005. Best bet is take it to the dealer if you have warranty, or a local indy that you trust if you are paying. Both fairly simple fixes, but propbably not super cheap.

TPMS sensors are around $150/ea, and you have to replace all 4 (at least you should)

Door handles, I have no idea, however - I would guess $700 ea installed. If it were more, I would not be a bit surpsised. Hope that helps
Old 05-31-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG Sedan
Thanks for the reply Bramage,

The tire pressure sensor battery theory sounds about right. Not sure it's worth that kind of money to have that fixed. The door locks are really just a nuisance and again probably not worth fixing. Small problems really.

I did think that a system reset might help the door problem but if it is, as I believe you are suggesting, a problem with the door lock itself, not the system SW, then a system reset wouldn't help.

Cheers
Old 05-31-2010, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
F-250
Agreed, small problems, but annoying. And I did mean the hardware, not sw on door handle(s).

On the TPMS, I know the E55 uses the 315MHZ sensors, and I have found a number of others that are MUCH cheaper. From what I have read, the ones that work in our cars are made by Beru. It so happens there is a Beru sensor for the Hundai that looks the same. (Also one for a VW by Beru) I am too chicken to try it, but they run about $50/ea. I know there have been a number of threads, and I think most people do what I am doing.. Skip past the message