W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Race Fuel Ban - What a joke but not surprised

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55, 06 Range Rover SC, 99 Vette, 86 Callaway Vette, 04 Super-Comp Vette (retired)
CA Race Fuel Ban - What a joke but not surprised

It seems the Republik of CA, has done it again in the attempt to Curb emissions by banning the sale and use of Race fuel to (basically stated) cars with License Plates. You will now need to prove:

- What car it's for?
- What event the race is for
- VIN #
- Etc., Etc.

Records will now be kept.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...e-gas-ban.html

Here is a quick excerpt: (I know it's from an import site. I was directed there by 6-speed ol).

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...ood/index.html

"If CARB attempting to scare the performance industry out of business isn't a bad enough thought, think about this: They just announced that it is illegal to sell, supply, and run race fuel in your street car.
And the situation is worse that it appears. Not only will the owner of any California-registered car break the law by filling that car with race gas, the shop or supply store who sold them the fuel could also receive a hefty fine if caught. Local race tracks offering race gas are also affected by this law, and legally have to stop selling race fuel to vehicles with a license plate. Service stations or performance shops will now have to keep records of who is buying the race gas, for which vehicle it's being used, and in which race it's to be used. The new ban will have a far-reaching effect on enthusiasts who race their high-performance street cars on the weekends, as well as those who participate in local autocrosses and privately organized track days, many of which may not be sanctioned race events recognized by CARB.

At least this is still allowed (only at the "pump" it seems and as VP100 is unleaded, it should be OK for now): Fortunately, enthusiasts are still allowed to pump 100-octane CARB-approved fuel at various service stations"

Here is the CARB link:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs397.pdf

I know it states that the CARB order is dated "January 2010" however, I don't see any other enforcement or "In-effect" date so I am assuming it already went into effect, unless anyone sees something here that I don't.

Sorry, had to vent as I am sure this won't stop here...

Last edited by DmanRox; 06-04-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
I guess the license plates have to come off at the track now.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 PM

Takes the bus.
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
I guess the license plates have to come off at the track now.
lawl
Old 06-04-2010, 11:03 PM

CLS55
I guess I will be running race gas in my AHEM "lawn mower and dirtbikes"

Last edited by RRnelcheeze; 06-04-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I didnt read the links but if 100 unleaded is still A.O.K. then where's the cut-off? IE anything LEADED seems to be banned which none of our cars use anyway?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 PM

2010 C63
Some of us use leaded gas in our engines.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 PM

E CLASS
If you're running the RFG high octane....nothing has changed.....If you've got a classic car that needs leaded high octane...time to get a valve job
Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 PM

335i
I wonder if this includes racing methanol? You would think not, as it is very clean burning.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by RRnelcheeze
I guess I will be running race gas in my AHEM "lawn mower and dirtbikes"
Another example of CARB’s draconian Board authoring a feel-good statute.
It’s curious --or not-- that they’re all appointed, as opposed to being properly elected by constituents they allegedly serve. Their clusterfuch racing fuel purchasing bureaucracy is not altogether unlike buying my son’s prescribed pseudoephedrine at the neighborhood dispensing chemist.

DOT approved five gallon containers in the bed of my GMC have yet to raise an eyebrow from our local performance savvy hydrocarbon retailer.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:56 PM

2006 E55, 06 Range Rover SC, 99 Vette, 86 Callaway Vette, 04 Super-Comp Vette (retired)
Originally Posted by Thericker
I didnt read the links but if 100 unleaded is still A.O.K. then where's the cut-off? IE anything LEADED seems to be banned which none of our cars use anyway?
Kind of agree, which is why I stated it in the post as a good thing (for now) however, it seems to state that you can only get 100 "at the pump".

However, now you can't get MS-109 (5-points +) or even a couple of other mixes from VP in the drum (which are "unleaded" for high boost cars

In the past, I have always just gotten it through distributors and taken what I have needed (5gal drums, etc.) for previous street cars. Nice-n-easy.

Kind of unrelated, for my Super-Comp car, we just had the 55-gallon drums of C16 delivered to the shop in Fullerton, no questions asked. Now every delivery will be "tracked" no matter what it is.

Again, where will this stop. I assume that CARB, at some point will eventually not allow even the pumped version of 100 stating something like... "All manufacturer's sell cars in CA that require "no more than" 91, or something like that.

Some of us use leaded gas in our engines.
Absolutely.... Go over the the Lambo site and all the guys running UG or Heffner TT cars are running up to and including C16.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by DmanRox
Kind of agree, which is why I stated it in the post as a good thing (for now) however, it seems to state that you can only get 100 "at the pump".

However, now you can't get MS-109 (5-points +) or even a couple of other mixes from VP in the drum (which are "unleaded" for high boost cars

In the past, I have always just gotten it through distributors and taken what I have needed (5gal drums, etc.) for previous street cars. Nice-n-easy.

Kind of unrelated, for my Super-Comp car, we just had the 55-gallon drums of C16 delivered to the shop in Fullerton, no questions asked. Now every delivery will be "tracked" no matter what it is.

Again, where will this stop. I assume that CARB, at some point will eventually not allow even the pumped version of 100 stating something like... "All manufacturer's sell cars in CA that require "no more than" 91, or something like that.

Absolutely.... Go over the the Lambo site and all the guys running UG or Heffner TT cars are running up to and including C16.
If it gets that bad I'll convert it to run E85 or phuking Moonshine...

[edit] Turbocharged engines
E85 gives particularly good results in turbocharged cars due to its high octane. It allows the ECU to run more favorable ignition timing and leaner fuel mixtures than are possible on normal premium gasoline. Users who have experimented with converting OBDII (i.e., On-Board Diagnostic System 2, that is for 1996 model year and later) turbocharged cars to run on E85 have had very good results. Experiments indicate that most OBDII-specification turbocharged cars can run up to approximately 39% E85 (33% ethanol) with no MILs or other problems. (In contrast, most OBDII specification fuel-injected non-turbocharged cars and light trucks are more forgiving and can usually operate well with in excess of 50% E85 (42% ethanol) prior to having MILs occur.) Fuel system compatibility issues have not been reported for any OBDII cars or light trucks running on high ethanol mixes of E85 and gasoline for periods of time exceeding two years. (This is likely to be the outcome justifiably expected of the normal conservative automotive engineer's predisposition not to design a fuel system merely resistant to ethanol in E10, or 10% percentages, but instead to select materials for the fuel system that are nearly impervious to ethanol.)

Fuel economy does not drop as much as might be expected in turbocharged engines based on the specific energy content of E85 compared to gasoline, in contrast to the previously-reported reduction of 23.7% reduction in a 60:40 blend of gasoline to E85 for one non-turbocharged, fuel-injected, non-FFV. The reason for this non-intuitive difference is that the turbocharged engine seems especially well-suited for operation on E85, for it in effect has a variable compression ratio capability, which is exactly what is needed to accommodate varying ethanol and gasoline ratios that occur in practice in an FFV. At light load cruise, the turbocharged engine operates as a low compression engine. Under high load and high manifold boost pressures, such as accelerating to pass or merge onto a highway, it makes full use of the higher octane of E85. It appears that due to the better ignition timing and better engine performance on a fuel of 100 octane, the driver spends less time at high throttle openings, and can cruise in a higher gear and at lower throttle openings than is possible on 100% premium gasoline. In daily commute driving, mostly highway, 100% E85 in a turbocharged car can hit fuel mileages of over 90% of the normal gasoline fuel economy. Tests indicate approximately a 5%-20%increase in engine performance is possible by switching to E85 fuel in high performance cars
http://www.raceone85.com/

Last edited by Thericker; 06-05-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:01 AM

2010 C63
http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html

This is what I've been running in my NOS Viper and my 30+ psi 4 banger. Not as good as race gas (C16), but it converts 91 octane to 105
Old 06-05-2010, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html

This is what I've been running in my NOS Viper and my 30+ psi 4 banger. Not as good as race gas (C16), but it converts 91 octane to 105
I used Torco frequently in past, though it's no where close to perf gains to be had in pure 100-109 Race Fuel. I've run both on Dyno & no way in hell is Torco = to 105 when mixed w/CA 91 vinegar flavored hippy douche...

(not trying to put you dwn, just stating my personal findings)
Old 06-05-2010, 04:43 AM

2003 E55 AMG
I've been running E85 in my other car for over 30k miles. 105 octane with great cooling properties equals great performance. Only real downside to E85 are the changes that you have to make to your fuels system to support it (bigger injectors and double fuel pump in my case).
Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by hotrod182
I wonder if this includes racing methanol? You would think not, as it is very clean burning.
Don't confuse the issue with clear logic and common sense. I'm sure the state of California didn't.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Time to open Jakpro's Race Gas shop on the NV state line.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:19 AM

2006 corvette
If you can get away with the E85 thats ther way to go but Torco Accelerator is awsome..

racegearonline.com
Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Time to open Jakpro's Race Gas shop on the NV state line.
....or for JR Cartage, Inc. To add a couple tankers to its fleet and make "house calls". When I hear stuff like this I really start to feel sorry for the car guys that live in Cali, but then again you guys get beautiful weather all year long, I can drive up to the station a block from my house and get 100 and 102 or drive 6 miles and get leaded 109 at the pump in the town next door so I guess were all all even.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
OK everybody - - - If you really want gray exhaust pipes instead of black and you have no cats or O2 sensors, here's the real deal. Just don't get caught with it on public roads. Except for the exotic unleaded blends the F1 boys use, nothing beats TEL (and F1 would still use TEL if permitted)

http://www.kemcooil.com/products.php?cId=4
Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jrcart
....or for JR Cartage, Inc. To add a couple tankers to its fleet and make "house calls". When I hear stuff like this I really start to feel sorry for the car guys that live in Cali, but then again you guys get beautiful weather all year long, I can drive up to the station a block from my house and get 100 and 102 or drive 6 miles and get leaded 109 at the pump in the town next door so I guess were all all even.
I would sign up in a heart beat for something like this

This is crazy.... soon they'll ban 100 octane and I bet even 91 octane as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed maximum octane to go up to 89 only
Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 AM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I would sign up in a heart beat for something like this

This is crazy.... soon they'll ban 100 octane and I bet even 91 octane as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed maximum octane to go up to 89 only
I may be wrong, but I've always thought that 91 puts out better emissions than 87 or 89. Either way, I'm planning to do my next tune with e87
Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 AM

2003 E55 AMG
I may be wrong, but I've always thought that 91 puts out better emissions than 87 or 89. Either way, I'm planning to do my next tune with e87
I will be curious as to the outcome of your tuning, specifically what will be needed to offset the 20-25% increase in fuel needed when running E85 over regular gasoline. I know that with my evo I had to double the size of my injectors and add an additional fuel pump to meet the increased fuel demand and I would like to find out the limits of the merceded fuel system.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
..I'm planning to do my next tune with e87
As you’re well aware, BSFC is significantly altered when consuming E85.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by jrcart
Enjoy your petrol, we will enjoy driving our cars in year 'round sunshine...I think we have the better end of the bargain j/k

I agree, this type of legislation stinks. I think they know who runs 100+ octane fuel though, typically the cars with no catalyst systems (street cars) that SHOULD have catalyst systems. The law still sucks but whaddya gonna do.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
You are absolutely correct, the truth of the mater is the guys running race fuel for the most part have highly and finely tuned engines that burn fuel more effeciantly than that 2003 Chrysler minivan running 87 octane. Race fuels(unleaded) and higher octane fuels are more pure clean to begin with and leave fewwer carbon deposits after combustion so this ban makes absolutley no sense whatsoever.

I have passed emmisions test in Illinois with a couple of my vehicles that do not even have cats or had "dummy" hollowed out cats with a tube run straight through them so they could pass the visual inspection. With newer cars its a little bit more difficult now because they plug into your electronics and scan for CEL's, but a good tuner can bypass this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CA Race Fuel Ban - What a joke but not surprised