Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats or no cats, that is the question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
For my set up I already have the k2. So what i'm doing is cutting out the secondary cats, putting in kleemann high flow cats with 3inch piping. I decided to put in high flow cats just to keep the sound a little more quite.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Road Racer
Do you have LT headers also?
Which brand?
I have Floored Fabbed long tube headers. I'm running no cats, no resonator, x-pipe, and stock mufflers. Everything listed above except the mufflers were provided by FF.

Do you have any pictures of your exahust system seeing it from under the car?
No, but there are a few other that have posted them. Look for threads started by either Chiromikey or AMG Fan.

Im installing right now a set of LT headers, planing to remove all of the CATS, resonators but leaving the stock rear mufflers untouched.
But after reading all this, Im worried to have a lot of sound inside of the car, and that the car would sound like an old tow truck.
Who's LT's did you buy? What size tubing do you plan on going with? I have been inside a few cars with 3" exhaust systems and all I could say is "very loud, both outside and in". My biggest fear was the same as yours but Chiromikey reassured me I had nothing to worry about, he was right.

Does your car sound too loud outside that can be heard blocks away?
How about inside the cabin?

I havent decided what to do and my exahust system is about to get all chop and cut.
I just installed a 180 pulley, 82tb, cf air intake, and a ECU tune for all of this mods, plus NO cats.

Im not planing to race my car on a race track, just want to have a very strong car for the streets, but still want to keeps its Luxury car use and confort.
What would you advice me?
Typically going with LT's and straight pipes you will compromise a little of that MB comfort. IMO it sounds like you might be better off going with some shorty's and keeping the cats and resonator. All though once you hear and feel your beast after the install it will most likely put a great big on your face!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I have Floored Fabbed long tube headers. I'm running no cats, no resonator, x-pipe, and stock mufflers. Everything listed above except the mufflers were provided by FF.

No, but there are a few other that have posted them. Look for threads started by either Chiromikey or AMG Fan.

Who's LT's did you buy? What size tubing do you plan on going with? I have been inside a few cars with 3" exhaust systems and all I could say is "very loud, both outside and in". My biggest fear was the same as yours but Chiromikey reassured me I had nothing to worry about, he was right.

Typically going with LT's and straight pipes you will compromise a little of that MB comfort. IMO it sounds like you might be better off going with some shorty's and keeping the cats and resonator. All though once you hear and feel your beast after the install it will most likely put a great big on your face!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks a lot for all your help.

I bought a set of LT headers from Eurocharged, I have a 3" x-pipe. Im not sure if I use a 3" tube or a 2.75".
I know that straight pipes will sound horrible, with the x-pipe will equalize the sound better, but I dont know if it is going to be too much sound.
The ECU was programed to use without cats, so there is no CEL to worry about.

What OE section or what OE cats would you leave in the car??
The primary or secondary cats??... or just the middle resonator?
none of the above?

Thanks again
Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cornfed gtr and m3
Originally Posted by Road Racer
Thanks a lot for all your help.

I bought a set of LT headers from Eurocharged, I have a 3" x-pipe. Im not sure if I use a 3" tube or a 2.75".
I know that straight pipes will sound horrible, with the x-pipe will equalize the sound better, but I dont know if it is going to be too much sound.
The ECU was programed to use without cats, so there is no CEL to worry about.

What OE section or what OE cats would you leave in the car??
The primary or secondary cats??... or just the middle resonator?
none of the above?

Thanks again
Cant run primary cats with long tubes. You can run 3" tube since it should be easier to source then the 2 3/4". Straight pipes sound great with an x-pipe.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I installed the SuperSprint headers,cat delete pipes and x pipe and my ML63 sounded soooo raspy(ricer) it killed my joy, so i`m going to put back the resonators and hope for a deep sound.oh and i have to turn of the check engine light.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
I've been busy with work but thanks for all the info guys!