Sponsored by:

Thinking of Getting a Bimmer again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes S430, 1993 Lexus SC400, 2003 Lexus ES300
yeah..that's why

Yeah, I agree that they stand by their product and will provide a replacement.

Actually I'm not a fan of mercedes reliablity either. On the s class there are numerous expensive issues I had to deal with

Also I was in a previous thread regarding lexus vs mercedes quality. I like the relability of lexus and just wished mercedes could meet those standards w/the performance they have and they'd have a winner.

But Bat, even if the engines are corrected....u can't buy a bimmer now that Chris Bangle has created the ugly stepchildren generations of 7s 5s and 3s?

He should be in a witness protection program or something..=)

I hope that I somehow have these new look bimmers GROW on me..

Like old algae...GROW...
hehe

Last edited by Nighttrain; 04-30-2003 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:11 PM

95 M3, 98 C280, 97 E320 (sold)
Exactly. I'd be worried if I were him too (disclaimer: that's not a threat to him from me or anything like that). I really didn't like any of the new style BMWs when they first came out either, but, they GREW on me, except maybe the Z4. I still don't like that one so much.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:33 PM

Porsche Twin Turbo, Supra Turbo, EVO Turbo
I bought my M3 about 2 months ago used. With like 10,000 miles. Leaving the dealership and driving the heck out of it in the highway shortly after it spun a bearing, they are known for that. However they installed a brand new short block and no problems ever since, I can't wait to get my E55 and see the difference of having a AMG. Ill sell you my M3 if you want..
Old 05-02-2003, 01:08 PM

I'd hold onto it if I were you. You might not like your AMG. I'm done buying cars for now. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Batman
I'd hold onto it if I were you. You might not like your AMG. I'm done buying cars for now. Thanks for the offer though.
That I might not like it? why is that? Fastest Mercedes production ever ...( supposely as they say)
Old 05-03-2003, 12:33 PM

I have 2 Mercedes (purchased new), and I'm not happy with either one of them. I've had and still have a lot of problems with both of them. Apparently, a lot of other people have had the same problems. I just hope you don't have as many problems as I've had with mine.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:36 PM

I have 2 Mercedes (purchased new), and I'm not happy with either one of them. I've had and still have a lot of problems with both of them. Apparently, a lot of other people have had the same problems. I just hope you don't have as many problems as I've had with mine.
If you don't mind me asking..what type of problems? perhaps you got a lemon? don't take it offensive but I would like to know what type of problem you encountered.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:23 PM

No lemon I'm afraid. Just Mercedes quality

97 E320
-Window Regulator (2 of them)
-SRS Contact Spiral (one dealer told me it was the airbag and they wanted $1200 to fix it. *******s. Same dealer said "It's not like we can just plug it in to a computer to see what's wrong with it, it'll take at least an hour to look at it" That's exactly what they do. they plug it in to a diagnostic computer to scan the codes. Jerks. I fixed it myself for ~$200, thanks to mbtech208 for advice)
-Steering Pump (may not be a common problem)
-Drive Pulley
-Paint chipping off the wheels
-Paint on the car chips pretty easily (flat black)
-Rust by the trunk lock (it's a 97 for crying out loud, this is a common problem by the way see DDAF88_50-U-200AUG 99 Corrosion at Trunk Lid in Area of Lock Cylinder at the AllData.com Information page for 97 E320 )
-Door check straps (according to the dealer anyway, the cause for squeaky doors)
-Headlights burn out very frequently, if it's not a headlight, it's a fog light, right now, one of the instrument panel lights it out. Dealer response: "well, these cars run a lot of high voltage" idiots. so do bmws, but I have yet to replace a bulb in my 95 m3.
-Not really a problem, but, no one-touch-up. it's a 97. my 95 m3 has it. Mercedes, 3 years later, (hey, one-touch-up is a good idea)

98 C280 (not as many problems as the E320)
-Drive Pulley (same as the E320, hmm)
-headrest fell apart
-dead key (not fun in the cold at 3am)
-dead AC (not fun while on vacation in florida)
-slight oil leak
-I haven't had this problem on this car yet, but it seems that it's prone to have it (DDAF88_50-U-200AUG 99 Corrosion at Trunk Lid in Area of Lock Cylinder from the
AllData.com C280 Information Page )
-couple of other problems in between that I don't remember exactly right now.

95 BMW M3
-Water Pump $70 (I think that's how much it was)
-Brake light switch $8
-Fuel guage (inaccurate reading) fixed under warranty
Those are the common problems I've had with the car.

Here is the list from the AllData.com 95 BMW M3 information page

These aren't Hyundai's, these are expensive cars. They should not have this many common problems. So, like I said, good luck with your car. Hope you got xenons.

Last edited by Batman; 05-03-2003 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:55 PM

No lemon I'm afraid. Just Mercedes quality

97 E320
-Window Regulator (2 of them)
-SRS Contact Spiral (one dealer told me it was the airbag and they wanted $1200 to fix it. *******s. Same dealer said "It's not like we can just plug it in to a computer to see what's wrong with it, it'll take at least an hour to look at it" That's exactly what they do. they plug it in to a diagnostic computer to scan the codes. Jerks. I fixed it myself for ~$200, thanks to mbtech208 for advice)
-Steering Pump (may not be a common problem)
-Drive Pulley
-Paint chipping off the wheels
-Paint on the car chips pretty easily (flat black)
-Rust by the trunk lock (it's a 97 for crying out loud, this is a common problem by the way see DDAF88_50-U-200AUG 99 Corrosion at Trunk Lid in Area of Lock Cylinder at the AllData.com Information page for 97 E320 )
-Door check straps (according to the dealer anyway, the cause for squeaky doors)
-Headlights burn out very frequently, if it's not a headlight, it's a fog light, right now, one of the instrument panel lights it out. Dealer response: "well, these cars run a lot of high voltage" idiots. so do bmws, but I have yet to replace a bulb in my 95 m3.
-Not really a problem, but, no one-touch-up. it's a 97. my 95 m3 has it. Mercedes, 3 years later, (hey, one-touch-up is a good idea)

98 C280 (not as many problems as the E320)
-Drive Pulley (same as the E320, hmm)
-headrest fell apart
-dead key (not fun in the cold at 3am)
-dead AC (not fun while on vacation in florida)
-slight oil leak
-I haven't had this problem on this car yet, but it seems that it's prone to have it (DDAF88_50-U-200AUG 99 Corrosion at Trunk Lid in Area of Lock Cylinder from the
AllData.com C280 Information Page )
-couple of other problems in between that I don't remember exactly right now.

95 BMW M3
-Water Pump $70 (I think that's how much it was)
-Brake light switch $8
That's it. Only common problems on this car, and pretty much, the only problems I've had with it at all.

These aren't Hyundai's, these are expensive cars. They should not have this many common problems. So, like I said, good luck with your car. Hope you got xenons.
I'm very sorry to hear all your bad luck, Hopefully AMG quality will be better. I did ordered the Bi-Xenon Headlamps however I think its kinda dumb that you have to order those when most cars outthere come with Bi-Xenon from factory. How did you fixed your problem with the dead key @ 3am?
Man that is serious...
Old 05-03-2003, 05:01 PM

Batman:
If you look at the various quality assessment data sets which are available (JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc etc) you'll find that Mercedes (and BMW and Audi) haven't been highly rated in quite a number of years. Certainly not in the 1990's.
People expect expensive German cars to be as reliable as Japanese cars...largely due to MB's reputation from 2 decades ago and beyond.
Bottom line is, they're not.
And it's not just an MB problem.
And while MB has made a legitimate effort, it appears, to tighten things up as of 2 years ago, the jury is still out on whether there will be measurable improvement.

I love my AMG but I've owned many nice cars from many different manufacturers. I don't even expect problem-free performance any more. I consider the quality issues to be part of the deal if I want a German performance sedan.
If I want ultimate reliability I can always buy a Lexus LS430--at which time I'd probably start receiving mailings from the people who manufacture hearing aids, prostate therapies and retirement villas. No thanks.

Your frustration is justified, not unique and may be unavoidable.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:50 PM

Yeah, I've seen the reports and I agree with you. I would have to say Honda's seem to be pretty reliable, but, like you said, I won't be driving one any time soon. I'm just saying, I haven't been very pleased with my Mercedes or the service Mercedes provides. On the other hand, I've been pretty happy with BMW, so has my brother and my cousin. I like the braking and handling of BMWs, so, that's my preference (until I can afford a Porsche ). I suppose it has a lot to do with what the driver wants/expects out of the vehicle. To each his own.

Dead key fix:
Call Mercedes (so you don't have to wake your friends up) and have them pick you up, drive you home to get your spare key, drive you back to your car so you can pick it up (or I guess you could get it the next day if your car is in a safe part of town). Then get your key fixed at the dealer later.

Last edited by Batman; 05-03-2003 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:19 PM

Re: discussion of vehicle reliability, here's the 2003 JD Power initial quality rating list (52,000 buyers, problems during first 90 days):
Lexus: 76
Cadillac: 103
Infiniti: 110
Acura: 111
Buick: 112
Mercury: 113
Porsche: 117
BMW: 118
Toyota: 121
Jaguar: 122
Honda: 128
Volvo: 128
Chevrolet: 130
Audi: 132
Mercedes-Benz: 132
INDUSTRY AVERAGE: 133
Oldsmobile: 134
Chrysler: 136
Ford: 136
Dodge: 137
Lincoln: 139
Nissan: 139
Pontiac: 142
Hyundai: 143
Volkswagen: 143
GMC: 144
Suzuki: 144
Jeep: 146
Subaru: 146
Mazda: 148
Mitsubishi: 148
Saturn: 158
Saab: 160
Mini: 166
Kia: 168
Land Rover: 190
Hummer: 225
Old 05-09-2003, 02:34 AM

2003 Range Rover
E55 for M3 ?

In response to your post, I currently am driving an 02 M3( WHITE/Imola red , SMG w/19's ) ( 5000 mls ) I Absolutely love the car, BUT ,it is to small for me. The performance,handling, etc. is all Great, but still to small for what I use the car for. I just placed an order for an 04' E55 after driving the SL 55 my father bought. I was sold on the sound of the engine alone. The E 55 just is more practical for me for an everyday car. If you are going to need a lot of room without sacrificing performance then go with the E55. I f your looking for a small ,quick car and don't need the room for many passengers, go with the M . 20 G's is big price diff. to