Sponsored by:

GAS SMELL Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Stage I RennTech E55
GAS SMELL Please Help!!

hi! so heres a lil background info on my problem. ive noticed my exhaust note got a lil bit deeper about 2weeks ago out of nowhere. the only thing i did was wash my car. so i thought perhaps i was just going crazy and thought it was just me. so just 2days ago the sound is even louder. no exhaust mods. best way to describe it will be to say it has laryngitis. so when i got to my car yesterday, i smelled gas. went to start the car, kept trying to crank and then after about 6-8seconds the engine turned over. i had been smelling the gas my entire drive to jersey. a mile into the trip, i gassed up and looked underneath and saw it dripping in two spots. reached under and wiped it with my finger, turned out to be water but it was in two spots. my initial thought was it was the flanges on my headers either rotted or got loose where it meets the rest of the exhaust and thats why it sounds louder. now the gas smell, i have no idea!!!!!!! could it be that my engine is running rich and im smelling it throw whatever could possibly be escaping if that flange is loose??? or will my car self-destruct in 5seconds???
any thoughts or if anyone else has experienced this please it would help m out a lot! thanks!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 AM

i also went to start it today and it wouldnt, tried and after 10seconds it stopped. tried it again and it started up.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Check engine light came on and the engine is shaking now
Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
gas smell

I dont know about the exhaust problem, but in regard to gas smell, I had exactly same problem. I smelled gas when I fueled full and was gone after driving a while. Then, "check engine" sign lit up so I took it to the dealer.

They took a while to fix this problem. They finally figured it was the cracked gas tank, but eventually they replaced the fuel pump as well. I think the fuel tank was about $800 and $300 for the fuel pump.

Thank gosh Fidelity warranty decided to cover everything because it came out to be $2600 w/ labor... I bet fidelity wanna drop me so bad

Also refer to previous post by searching: DIY Gas Smell Fix