Sponsored by:

Visit Workshop: ABS Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
05 E55 AMG
Visit Workshop: ABS Malfunction?

So I went to the gym this morning, everything is fine, I get home everything is fine. A few hours later I go and wash the car. I go to back it up into my parking spot and notice that the steering is hard to turn, like power steering went out, I look at the dash and see the "Visit Workshop" message. "ABS Malfunction". What the hell happened? Could I have done something when I was washing the car? I did wash the wheels pretty good, sprayed water into the wheels and brakes. Anyone have this happen before? How do I reset the "Visit Workshop" message.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM

05 E55 AMG
I just noticed it also says "ESP Malfunction".
Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM

05 E55 AMG
So I drove around the block and now I also got a third message "Service Brakes". I think I really f'ed some sh*t up when I was washing my front wheels. The only thing I can think of is I hit a sensor with the brush I was using when I was cleaning the front wheels. I need advice guys!!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM

05 E55 AMG
Update: So I took the car to a local Benz mechanic I know and he quickly looked at it and told me to drive it around a while and see if the messages go away. He said I must have got some water on a sensor. I drove it around for about 20 min and parked it. An hour later got back in it and turned it on, no messages, car runs normal again. So it looks like I did get some water somewhere I wasn't supposed to. What's weird is that the car was running like sh*t, hard to steer, suspension was bouncy and stiff, and the car just felt jerky in general. Oh well, hope it never comes back.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e280
Hi Nasty50-five,I got the same issue.I was wondering: Did it came back?And how do you wash the car now?ThanksRonald.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM

2005 E55
Brake Pedal Sensor....
Old 05-17-2011, 05:45 PM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rmw211
Hi Nasty50-five,I got the same issue.I was wondering: Did it came back?And how do you wash the car now?ThanksRonald.
No the problem never came back, I still wash the car the same I just pay more attention when I'm cleaning the wheels and try not to bang around too much with the brush. Have you tried driving around and seeing if the codes clear??
Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
I have washed my car 10 million times with high pressure water and have hit the brakes many times with zero problems so thats weird.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM

e280
Originally Posted by Nasty50-Five
No the problem never came back, I still wash the car the same I just pay more attention when I'm cleaning the wheels and try not to bang around too much with the brush. Have you tried driving around and seeing if the codes clear??

Yes, and the messages disappeared. Now steering and suspension are normal again . I just wonder what the connection is between abs esp messages and suspension/steering? .
Thanks for the reply
Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Its happened to me too at the car wash.. Took the battery off of ten minutes and it was gone. If your gonna drive your car immediately after you wash it, let the car coast and lightly apply the break. This should evaporate any water on your rotors and pads.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
oh, I missed the point, whenever I washed the car, I let it dry completely before driving again, at least 90% of the time I do, still no problems.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
I know this is an old thread, but I experienced this yesterday. I'd driven the car on the highway for about an hour. On the off-ramp the symptoms you mentioned occurred: ABS light, ESP malfunction, brake sensor message, visit workshop, steering became heavier, speedometer went to 0, rev counter still worked and the engine would rev but it wasn't putting down near as much power, and after I parked I tried reverse and it wouldn't go into reverse.

Turned off the car, turned it back on, and the errors cleared. Drove it to my mechanic where it currently sits. I'll update when I get more info in case it helps someone.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:03 AM
J J

I’ve had it happen twice, once after replacing the front strut. once random out of nowhere. Restarted fixed the error.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:43 PM

2005 mercedes e500 4matc
Originally Posted by ahalibut
I know this is an old thread, but I experienced this yesterday. I'd driven the car on the highway for about an hour. On the off-ramp the symptoms you mentioned occurred: ABS light, ESP malfunction, brake sensor message, visit workshop, steering became heavier, speedometer went to 0, rev counter still worked and the engine would rev but it wasn't putting down near as much power, and after I parked I tried reverse and it wouldn't go into reverse.

Turned off the car, turned it back on, and the errors cleared. Drove it to my mechanic where it currently sits. I'll update when I get more info in case it helps someone.
Hey, I have the same issue happened to me today after getting the car wash. exact same thing. My car is parked for the moment. what's the update on yours could you please, let me know. I don't want to take to mechanic if this problem can be fixed itself like mentioned above...
Old 04-18-2020, 10:07 AM

2003 Mercedes E500
Originally Posted by FourOne6ix
Hey, I have the same issue happened to me today after getting the car wash. exact same thing. My car is parked for the moment. what's the update on yours could you please, let me know. I don't want to take to mechanic if this problem can be fixed itself like mentioned above...
Hi,

I'm new to this amazing website. So long story short I just had the same issue, but the engine didn't die on me. ABS sign suddenly went on and steering wheel got a bit heavier than usual.

I decided to pull over, turned the car off, wait for few minutes and turned it on again. Everything went back to normal.

Should I be concerned about replacing Brake Pedal Sensor?

Your wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2020, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
95 SL600
Please make sure the front SAM (fuse box) cover is on correctly and locked. Water intrusion here is bad and can cause serious problems after car wash. This may not be your problem, but I have seen this make cars catch fire because of this. It turns many things in at once and shorts things out. Putting the covers on is tricky sometime, and they are in a location to collect water from the windshield.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:57 PM

2003 Mercedes E500
Thanks, man. Your reply is greatly appreciated. I'll definitely have a look at it real soon!
Old 05-15-2020, 01:55 AM

bmw s3
So I went to the gym this morning, everything is fine, I get home everything is fine. A few hours later I go and wash the car. I go to back it up into my parking spot and notice that the steering is hard to turn, like power steering went out, I
Showbox jiofi.local.htmltplinklogin look at the dash and see the "Visit Workshop" message. "ABS Malfunction". What the hell happened? Could I have done something when I was washing the car? I did wash the wheels pretty good, sprayed water into the wheels and brakes. Anyone have this happen before? How do I reset the "Visit Workshop" message.

I just wonder what the connection is between abs esp messages and suspension/steering? .

Last edited by martino ermando; 05-15-2020 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:40 AM

E55 AMG
So I went to the gym this morning, everything is fine, I get home everything is fine. A few hours later I go and wash the car. I go to back it up into my parking spot and notice that the steering is hard to turn, like power steering went out, I look at the dash and see the "Visit Workshop" message. "ABS Malfunction". What the hell happened? Could I have done something when I was washing the car? I did wash the wheels pretty good, sprayed water into the wheels and brakes. Anyone have this happen before? How do I reset the "Visit Workshop" message.
any update on how you got this fixed? This happened to me last night however the messages & symptoms are still there this morning even after I disconnected battery
Old 06-25-2022, 10:41 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ahalibut

any update on this brotha?