W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket HID Head Lights - Problem, Need Advice - Long Post - Thanks in advance

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Aftermarket HID Head Lights - Problem, Need Advice - Long Post - Thanks in advance

Hello,
I have the HID EXTRA low beam kit....
Since day one, I have had multiple issues.
The company has been accommodating, but I am getting tired not only of contacting them but also of bothering them.

I always start car first, turn on headlights.... turn off headlights, then turn off car (so not to cause extra voltage draw on aftermarket ballasts.)
So here is the issue - I have long documentation but this is summed up.
Installed the system/Capacitors (which I understand Bmw, MB, Audi need) - no issues.

About two days later, when turning on headlights - the left one came on but immediately went out. I flicked the headlights on and off repeatedly, it never came back on at all. No message ever appeared on dash to check low beams.
Drove home with one headlight.
The next evening, turned on headlights and of course the left one remained out (no flicker or anything), but now the right side went out after first lighting up. Would not come back on despite restarting car, locking, etc. Drove home with no headlights and got pulled over. Did not have headlights the rest of the evening, messed with it at home.

Took to my mechanic the next day to test system. He checks over everything and says it all looks good, no bad connections, etc..... Still no lights. Nothing. We do some swapping, etc etc - he determines BOTH bulbs and BOTH ballasts must be bad.

So after speaking to the company, they tell me to remove system so I can mail it in. Did not drive car at night for two days while waiting for their answer. Go to mechanic to remove entire system - before doing so, we turn on lights and they both pop right on. No issues at all. He shakes connections and taps on glass, etc - lights will not shut off - they remain on.
So we leave it.... He is absolutely dumbfounded.

The next day in daytime wanted to test the lights. They both came on - but both went out almost immediately. THEN (FIRST TIME) I got a message on dash to check low beams, left and right. No headlights, no matter what I did - good thing it was day time !

After speaking with installer, he decided the problem must lie in the capacitors. He said the bulbs and ballasts are both fine if they fire up SOMETIMES. Company sent me new capacitors. Installed and both lights worked great..... So forgot about it. The next evening (yesterday) turned on lights to run an errand - LEFT one went out immediately !! Message showed up on dash to check left low beam. Turned off lights and turned back on, it "came back to life".... Drove the car for a bit, stopped a few places while turning car/lights off - no problems.

This evening, switched on lights to test - SAME issue - LEFT bulb flickered out right away, message on dash. Like a repeat from yesterday, once I switched on for the second time, no issues/both beams appeared. Subsequently turned off & on switch about 75 times, combination of car running, not running, accessory position, locked/unlocked car to simulate entry, etc -- both lights were on without fail....

So needless to say I am quite confused. Issue does appear to be fixed on right side, could left ballast possibly be bad - causing it to not "power up" occasionally? This is frustrating and obviously I need headlights !
Almost why I pulled the trigger on $1500 OEM Xenons - reliable !!

Thanks much.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
My aftermarket lights have never had any issues. But I also have the 55w units which is equivalent to the draw of the stock non HIDs that came on the car so I do not have the need or capacitors,etc . Very bright and reliable. From what I understand you can change the settings to HID 35w bulbs. Perhaps that will help you, else you have a unreliable kit.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
That is the ONE thing we have not done - get in STAR, and enable "Bi-xenon Present" option....
But he said it should not be necessary, since the ballast is basically simulating the wattage of factory system, and the car should not know any different...?
But he is a Porsche/Audi guy, so maybe I just need to enable that setting....
Thanks in advance....