Need some fanatic advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Need some fanatic advice...

I got my car used. 05 E55, 46K miles. The summer in LA has finally arrived and now I have to run the AC.

My question is this, has anyone replaced the AC filters? When I first run the AC the hot musty air that comes out of the vents smells like a mix between dirty wet socks and and that abandoned house at the end of the block. I was hoping there was a way to replace the filters and not have that awful smell. One would think those filters should be replaced every xxxx miles...

Thanks for your input!!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E55
my car was doing that. Took it into dealer under warranty at around same mileage (mine was a 2006). They apparently used some spray they spray into the system to kill mold etc that makes the smell. A week or so later smell was gone!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
05 E55 AMG
I too have this problem. There was some talk about this problem in the detailing section of this forum I think. I know there was talk about replacing the filter and I heard that might solve the problem. I also can speak from experience that when I had my Chevy silverado, I had this same problem and my mechanic sprayed some stuff into the air vents that got rid of the smell. Hope this helps.