W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearview mirror (internal) installation???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
Rearview mirror (internal) installation???

Dumbest thread/topic/thought ever. So I'm trying to put anything in the glove compartment other than the giant book Mercedes includes there. As you know, no room left over for anything else (gloves, for example) so this takes a bit of cajoling. So while I'm doing this, I end up leaning over and... smashing my head into the rearview mirror. No big deal, except that the wonderful safety mechanisms caused it to pop out of the roof liner and dangle from the wires connecting it. The SOS/onstary button area popped out as well. There seems to be a spring-loaded mechanism to actuate/secure the mirror, but I'm confounded on reinstalling it. This might be super simple, or I might have to take out a screwdriver and remove some panels. Any guidance/diagrams on this installation? Nothing looks broken/popped...

Thanks in advance... impossible to find anything in searches other than carbon fiber mirror covers and hacks to fold your mirrors from your keyfob.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by perullo
Dumbest thread/topic/thought ever. So I'm trying to put anything in the glove compartment other than the giant book Mercedes includes there. As you know, no room left over for anything else (gloves, for example) so this takes a bit of cajoling. So while I'm doing this, I end up leaning over and... smashing my head into the rearview mirror. No big deal, except that the wonderful safety mechanisms caused it to pop out of the roof liner and dangle from the wires connecting it. The SOS/onstary button area popped out as well. There seems to be a spring-loaded mechanism to actuate/secure the mirror, but I'm confounded on reinstalling it. This might be super simple, or I might have to take out a screwdriver and remove some panels. Any guidance/diagrams on this installation? Nothing looks broken/popped...

Thanks in advance... impossible to find anything in searches other than carbon fiber mirror covers and hacks to fold your mirrors from your keyfob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3M8yRvcus&NR=1

Look simply enough..
Old 07-16-2010, 08:00 PM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
wow - that guy is super fast -- 2 min !! I bet it will take you a lot longer to do that -
Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 PM

2012 CLS63
yeah...

PLUS that clown shows you how to take it apart, but you are high and dry for putting it back together! Seriously - thanks it was certainly helpful, but still a pain. They show you removing the mirror, then the console around it. It would stand to reason you could assemble in the reverse order, but you can't really get the mirror back in with the console there... it takes some serious effort/tools... It was a serious dance but its finally back together - had to use a tool to compress the pins while popping the mirror in, and had to fanagle the tool in since the fascia had to be very close to in-place before the mirror was seated or there was no way to get it in.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:13 AM

wdbjf55fxtj020203
Hello
I have 1996 E320 , The interior rear view mirror is NOT repairable. ( took it a part and all the plastic taps are damaged ).
My question is, if I replace it with another used one,, does the new one has to be reprogrammed to match the remote fob frequency or it will work fine without farther mating?
Can some one help me please??????
Thank you all
Old 05-03-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 MERC E55
no coding...

no coding will be necessary. just replace and on your way! I did it but it was on a 2004 e55, just try and stay with similar year and it has all the "buttons" yours have so to retain/work the same functions.