Sponsored by:

What exactly does a TCU tune do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
What exactly does a TCU tune do?

I've changed my solenoids to the Blue Tops and the car doesn't slip anymore and goes into limp home mode.
But the tranny still feels like it's far from 100%. On the highway it doesn't "hook up" under 3000 rpm.

Feels like it's kind of dead under 3000 rpm and then slowly starts to hook up the torque and throws the car away towards 6400 rpm.

Will a TCU tune fix this, or am i having a tranny that is slipping a little bit under 3000rpm and i might need to upgrade it?

I have a nice contact that can upgrade my tranny to a "SL65" spec mod, but i want to be sure that it's slipping before i do it. So you guys who have done TCU tune, what exactly does it do?

Thanks // Magnus
Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I was about to comment until I noticed you have the W210. Not sure how many torque limiters they put on the W210.

The W211 is LOADED with torque limiters on the tranny for obvious reasons. TCU tune removes/reduces those so as the mountain of torque hits the tranny, she doesn't tell the ECU "Holy *****, major stuff going on back here...can you back it down a touch"

Obviously reduces her life but ohhhhh so much fun meantime.

To W211 guys, it has been proven over and over...DO NOT PUT IN SOLENOIDS OR ANYTHING ELSE ON THE 722.6. Blows them everytime I have seen it happen.

Only tune and rebuild from a pro shop (stronger clutches etc)
Old 07-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I was about to comment until I noticed you have the W210. Not sure how many torque limiters they put on the W210.

The W211 is LOADED with torque limiters on the tranny for obvious reasons. TCU tune removes/reduces those so as the mountain of torque hits the tranny, she doesn't tell the ECU "Holy *****, major stuff going on back here...can you back it down a touch"

Obviously reduces her life but ohhhhh so much fun meantime.

To W211 guys, it has been proven over and over...DO NOT PUT IN SOLENOIDS OR ANYTHING ELSE ON THE 722.6. Blows them everytime I have seen it happen.

Only tune and rebuild from a pro shop (stronger clutches etc)
Ok, thats what i guessed. Removes the torque limiters. I guess my car is fully loaded with these limiters now since it's pushing around 800 NM instead of the stock 530 NM

Why not the blue tops? Just curious...

Thanks!