W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re. engine rebuild (oldtimer straight 6)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Question re. engine rebuild (oldtimer straight 6)

Long time since I've been here!

I'm putting this question out here because I used to hang here a lot (had an E55 estate) and recall this as the most heavily trafficked forum, so perhaps some of y'all can provide a ballpark.

Although I sold the E55 awhile back and now drive a porsche, I'm looking to pick up an early 70's E class (the 250/280 coupe or sedan) as a 4-seater and fun project car. I test-drove a physically intact w114 coupe yesterday that I really like except that I'm guessing it will need a rebuild of at least the engine and possibly also the transmission (automatic) before it's quite ready for primetime. It's a 250C with the straight-6 gasoline motor in it.

Can anyone provide a ballpark estimate of what it would cost to get the engine/tranny rebuild work done on one of those motors? I did a rebuild about 17 years ago on a Chrysler but that was then, and that was also a domestic. I'm completely in the dark when it comes to pricing out this sort of thing on an oldtimer Benz. Oh, and if it's important (maybe so), I'm in Los Angeles.

Thanks for your help, and happy motoring!

vic