W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Can you scan or get this release posted on the board so we can look it over? I would tell Mercedes to get bent on this release.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Here's the letter that was sent to MB's engineer it seems.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...2001-50231.pdf
Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
It is understood and agreed that for and in consideration of the full discharge and release of any and all claims that have arisen and/or accrued or which reasonably should have arisen and/or accrued up to the date that this Release is formally executed by Releasor, his heirs, representatives, successors and assigns, with respect to any losses, bodily injuries or damages of any form whatsoever alleged to have arisen as a result of Releasor’s purchase, ownership, lease and/or use of a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG automobile, Vehicle Identification Number XXX (hereinafter "the Vehicle"), Releasor will receive the compensation specified herein. This Release Agreement applies to all claims, whether known or unknown, on the part of Releasor and shall be a full, binding and complete settlement between Releasor and Releasees.
I
In consideration of a full and complete Release as stated above and other undertakings stated herein, Releasees shall, at no cost to Releasor, provide Releasor with all of the necessary parts and labor to repair the Vehicle’s fuel system in order to specifically address an issue involving a fuel odor in the Vehicle compartment. Releasee MBUSA shall retain possession of all parts replaced in the Vehicle as part of the subject repair. Releasees provide this consideration to Releasor as a goodwill gesture to promote customer satisfaction.
II
In further consideration of the undertaking by the Releasees under this Release, Releasor represents that he has not filed, nor will he file, a lawsuit, complaint and/or claim of any kind against Releasees and all of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents, servants and/or employees, with any Court, governmental body or Federal, State and/or local agency with regard to any claims that have arisen and/or accrued or which reasonably should have arisen and/or accrued up to the date that this Release is formally executed regarding his purchase, ownership, lease, use and operation of the Vehicle.
III
In further consideration of the undertaking by Releasees under this Release, Releasor, being of lawful age, does hereby fully release, settle, acquit and forever discharge Releasees and all of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, agents, servants and/or employees, from any and all actions, causes of actions, claims, demands, damages, costs, expenses, compensation or obligations, which Releasor has against Releasees that have arisen and/or accrued or which
reasonably should have arisen and/or accrued up to the date that this Release is formally executed that pertain to and/or involve his purchase, ownership, lease, use and operation of the Vehicle.
Notwithstanding any other provisions stated herein, Releasees will continue to honor the remainder of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty that came with the Vehicle.
IV
It is understood and agreed that this settlement is a compromise of doubtful and disputed claims and the payments made and consideration given in connection with this Release Agreement are not intended, nor are they to be construed, as an admission of liability on the part of any persons, firms or corporation hereby released.
Releasor hereby acknowledges that the consideration stated in Paragraph I hereof has satisfied all obligations and duties, responsibilities and liabilities, which could or might conceivably be imposed on the Releasees by the terms of this Release Agreement by the Releasor, his attorneys and representatives.
In entering into this Release Agreement, Releasor acknowledges that he has not relied in any way upon the representations or statements made or pertaining to the Vehicle by the Releasees.
Releasor expressly waives the provisions of the California Civil Code, Section 1542, which provides:
"A General Release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in creditor’s favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by creditor must have materially affected creditor’s settlement with the debtor" or any similar law or statute applicable to this Release.”
This Release is made, executed and entered into and is intended to be performed within the State of California. Releasor hereby confirms and admits that he has read and understood this Release and has been fully advised and represented by counsel with respect to this Release and all negotiations giving rise to it and that Releasor has fully discussed the execution of this Release and all of its terms, consequences and ramifications with his counsel or that Releasor has freely and voluntarily chosen not to consult counsel.
V
This Release is confidential and Releasor agrees that the contents of this Release, including the amount of consideration paid hereunder and fact of settlement, are not to be discussed, inferred or referred to in any way by Releasor or counsel for Releasors, except for income reporting purposes, if applicable, as may be required by any Local, State or Federal government.
VI
It is understood and agreed by Releasor that the terms of this Release are considered material contractual terms and not merely recitals and that the consideration described in this Release constitutes the entire agreement between the parties regarding the payment of any sums or the giving of any consideration in connection with this matter. This Release is intended to and does hereby bind Releasor and each and every one of his heirs, executors, administrators, and representatives, attorneys and assigns from this day forward.
Releasor states that he has carefully read the foregoing Release, know its contents, and has consulted with his attorney (or voluntarily decided not to consult with an attorney) regarding its meaning and effect and has signed it as his own free act and deed.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Guys u won't beleive this my car had everything changes alittle over a week ago and today I smelled fuel again
this is rediculous!
I'm going to another dealer after I contact mb USA
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd contact MBUSA and try to hold off on further work till MB answers this NHTSA investigation. We're pretty close to an answer as it appears they have not filed for an extension. Let's see what kinda repair ideas they came up with. My bet is on a fancy overly thick O-ring of some kind or something of the sort. Perhaps another .02 cent metal collar for the outside of the nipple tahts cracking now as well. lol
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Hulk - I feel your pain....Sorry

Interestingly for me, the problem seems to only be noticeable / bad when the tank is more than 3/4 full.....
Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's the temporary fix people have been using when they didn't want to pay out of pocket for repairs. It works, just annoying.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Everything has been changed on mine
now is the time I will start slapping them!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Problem is they are replacing it with the same no good parts. Some work for a lil while, some last a lil longer, eventually they all fail again though. Much sooner then they should. They should be in the midst of cooking up a fix for this, probably not available to dealers just yet though.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
They better because I have had enough of the bs
everything regarding fuel has been changed
Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Met with moosejaw tonight , we wsome put some gas and then drove around a bit, then we took off the backseat and checked on both sides, brand new sending units and bone dry, so I have no idea what's going on, the only thing that it could possibly be is the exhaust, so I will have that checked out
Old 03-15-2012, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by Hulk
Met with moosejaw tonight , we wsome put some gas and then drove around a bit, then we took off the backseat and checked on both sides, brand new sending units and bone dry, so I have no idea what's going on, the only thing that it could possibly be is the exhaust, so I will have that checked out
That is exactly like mine...there is a vapor leak, not a liquid leak....So my guess is that the seal is not 100%....I kind of want to take everything apart to figure out a fix, but my wife says no ....
Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Hmmmmm...
Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Throw a match at it and see which way the flame goes. Lol It wouldn't actually blow up, lilely wouldn't start a fire. At least not a serious one at first. Lol
Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
do you have long tube headers or catless? that will give a fuel smell too
Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by gaspam
do you have long tube headers or catless? that will give a fuel smell too
My car is 100% stock. That said, raw fuel smell is very different than the smell of a catless car....
Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by cij911
My car is 100% stock. That said, raw fuel smell is very different than the smell of a catless car....
raw fuel sometimes exits exhaust ports unburned, which is one of the 3 main functions of cats, to oxidize the unburnt fuel that escape the combustion chambers.

so catless cars can have raw fuel smell... many of my jeeps have had this... with long tube header its even more of the raw fuel smell.

but since your car is stock then thats not it
Old 03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I have secondary cat/resonator delete and will be adding the shardul specials headers
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gone but not Forgotten 2006 E55 Renntech
The gas tank has 3 "attachments", after replacing the sending unit my tank was found to be leaking from the small center attachment (I have the defective gas tank and will take photos next week) This may be your issue, if so a new gas tank may be in order. MB told me to pound sand when I looked for them to cover the fuel tank.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Everything relating to fuel has been changed it might the removed cats at this point
Old 03-16-2012, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I have to add I haven't smelled anything since the other day

Last edited by Hulk; 03-16-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Hey guys they got n extension..lol but not much...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...2001-50525.pdf
Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
As well, I'll my experiance.... I do not have any leaks what so ever from the sending units under the rear seat (bone dry). I do how ever have the following.

- In the Phoenix summer heat I get a very very strong fuel smell in the cabin and the passanger side wheel well after a trek longer then aprox. 1 hr of stop an go driving. So strong I cant be in the car. This happens at all tank levels.

- Now that it's cooler the only time I get the smell is when I fill up (not topping it off of course) and the strange thing is it's not in the cabin, only outside of the vehicle specificaly from the drivers side wheel well.

The dealer has preformed a pressure test and a smoke test with zero results.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Fuel vapor in the cabin is a major safety hazard (nerve damage and other respiratory issues)...If you have to drive your car, do so with the windows down to decrease the chance of an injury.

BoZoe55 - I have a similar problem and the dealer had a tough time finding the leak....at first they said no and then upon doing a more thorough smoke test and removing the back seat they found the leak....I am sure you have the same issue as most everyone else...

As for the delay, I suspect this will be a long long process...
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BoZo.E55
As well, I'll my experiance.... I do not have any leaks what so ever from the sending units under the rear seat (bone dry). I do how ever have the following.

- In the Phoenix summer heat I get a very very strong fuel smell in the cabin and the passanger side wheel well after a trek longer then aprox. 1 hr of stop an go driving. So strong I cant be in the car. This happens at all tank levels.

- Now that it's cooler the only time I get the smell is when I fill up (not topping it off of course) and the strange thing is it's not in the cabin, only outside of the vehicle specificaly from the drivers side wheel well.

The dealer has preformed a pressure test and a smoke test with zero results.
If you have not done so yet, please file a complaint with the NHTSA describing what happens to your car. Especially the strong fumes inside the car. The more they know about how many cars are effected the better it will be for their investigation.

I'm hoping for them to start acting on repairs by late summer or fall at the latest. I'm sure there will be some back and forth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.