W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
After something like five weeks, my car is back home again with a new fuel tank. The Evap Valve is the item that was hosed up and they replaced the whole tank as part of the deal. This determination was made after multiple trips for new seals and a set of modules. The dealer said that the new tank has a different part number and is a new item.

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Okay found the issue on my fuel leak/smell.

The Evap Valve which is located on the saddle and goes to a 1" vent line cracks and leaks.

It's not the tank, it's the evap valve. when it leaks the fuel will flow down to the pump/sender basket and pool on the pump or sender.

The ONLY way to see the evap valve leak is to drop the fuel tank (After you drop the exhaust and drive shaft)

so there you go we know know what the problem is
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 PM

E55
One more thing....

And my check engine light is on. I'm not inclined to go down there for the 80th time, so I'm going to use a code scanner and send it to the guys to look at. I'm starting to wonder if my intercooler pump is gone because it didn't feel as strong as it used to, so I may as well get some of my own data before plunking down for another deductable on my extended warranty.

Originally Posted by cruz3
After something like five weeks, my car is back home again with a new fuel tank. The Evap Valve is the item that was hosed up and they replaced the whole tank as part of the deal. This determination was made after multiple trips for new seals and a set of modules. The dealer said that the new tank has a different part number and is a new item.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:50 AM

2004 MB E55 AMG
I am having exactly the same issues posted on this forum. We bought our 2004 E55 AMG in Dec of 2009 with 47,000 miles, the recall was completed in June 2008 with 40,500 miles. I love driving this car and dreamed for years of owning a vehicle like this. It soon became a real pain. At first the jerking/hesitation started as discussed on this forum. The car was so fast and smooth at full throttle but jerked around town like a person learning to drive a standard, at part throttle. I took it to MB for service and informed them it was likely the charcoal canister or a fuel related issue. But they went straight for the expensive options and tore the engine apart, replacing intake sensors and MAP sensor. They kept the car for over a month and wasted a tank of gas without a solution. They wanted to replace the ECU for $3000 (I declined) and eventually gave up on the car, stating they could not fix it. The check engine light has illuminated intermittently since they worked on it. The hesitation is gone but so is the power. The red flashing gas cap warning on the dash goes off frequently, even though I have purchased a new one. In the past few weeks the fuel smell is getting worse, especially after filling up. The car just failed Air Care and I will have to take it in to MB again. I hope they can fix it correctly this time under the recall campaign funds. I thought MB was a great brand and stood behind their products, especially AMG. How wrong was I? I have never had so many issues in such a short time with any vehicle I have ever owned.
This forum is great and I appreciate the assistance, wish me luck!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
I just took my car to the dealer to have both sending units replaced. I talked to my Service Advisor and she said that the only thing that they can do is offer me 10% off of the bill since me car is not under warranty. I called MBUSA and they said that a "case agent" will be contacting me with what MB can do for me. I expressed my concerns and that may if not all E55 owners are having the same issue. Waiting for a call back from this "case agent". I stressed the fact that I bought a MB because of the safety and reliability of their product and did not expect to have my 2 year old sitting on a puddle of gasoline! Car only has 80k miles on it.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 PM

04 E55
I am working with Diana at extension 7834

Waiting to hear back from her. I am going straight to the point with her. MB should be covering my 1,200.00 repair bill with no questions asked or I may seek legal council and will definately report it to the feds.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 AM

E55
Check engine light goes off, owner messes car up

Check engine light went off after about 1/3 tank. Of course, the very next day I dropped my laptop on the rear seat HVAC vents and knocked the louvers out. I also noticed that a piece of trim fell off of my rear passenger side ashtray. Perfection is not cheap at about $400 installed for both. I tried and tried to re-assemble the HVAC vent, but gave up when one piece went down into the vent.

No more fuel smells - so maybe the demons are gone.

Originally Posted by cruz3
And my check engine light is on. I'm not inclined to go down there for the 80th time, so I'm going to use a code scanner and send it to the guys to look at. I'm starting to wonder if my intercooler pump is gone because it didn't feel as strong as it used to, so I may as well get some of my own data before plunking down for another deductable on my extended warranty.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Black e55
two different Dealers two different answers.

Well here's an update to my gas leak issue that's been delayed for too long. I finally took my car which smelled like a gas big time after filling up to H0use of 1mports in Buena Park, Ca who had my car for 4 days (with no loaner) then tells me that since I have no service history with them who is to say if they fix it and I might not come back for future service. They offered to pay half of the repairs =$650. I couldn't believe this crap since it was a recalled part. So I took my car to a different dealer nearby and spoke with the advisor there who gave me a loaner car and eventually replaced all parts at NO CHARGE after I showed them the recall campaign letter. They replaced my whole fuel filter/sender module under the back seat on the drivers side (which is stated in the letter). I would like to note that I showed both advisors at both dealers a copy of the recall campaign letter, too. Never again will I go to ghetto H0use of 1mports. A business is truly only as good as its worst employee. I wish anyone else here having these issues the best of luck!

BTW, my e55 sure is "The Bomb"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AMG2008020001.pdf (59.2 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by lybones; 01-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:58 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Same problem here, Looks like the drivers side unit was replaced but I have a small puddle on the passenger side. Called MBZ dealer in Newport Beach and was told it had nothing to do with the recall since the recalled portion had been repaired. Service Manager directed me to the parts dept to buy a new seal. Will let the tank get low and replace the seal. I did notice there were t small pieces of rubber in the bowl that look like the seals for the electrical connector, I hope I dont need a new sending unit $$$.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/10078182.../E55FuelSmell#
Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM

none yet
just to add to all this, i took my 04 in to south bay mercedes to have the recall done due to gas puddling. i got my car back and went straight to fill up a block away. sure enough it was puddling again and back to the dealership i went. it was pretty obvious that the module had a crack in it and the recall sleeve was not going to cut it but they told me that my vin did not fall under a replacment module, only a metal sleeve and i would have to pay out pocket. i trusted them and ended up paying over $1600 cause i also needed a new fuel pump because the wiring had dracked off and the wires were completely exposed in the tank. the best part of the story is after the car had been sitting a few weeks in the garage i go and start it up and fuel starts pouring out the bottom. i open it up and the fuel line thats crimped on the module is squirting like old faithful. those stupid mothers cant even crimp a fuel line correctly. i have had it.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by soop95
just to add to all this, i took my 04 in to south bay mercedes to have the recall done due to gas puddling. i got my car back and went straight to fill up a block away. sure enough it was puddling again and back to the dealership i went. it was pretty obvious that the module had a crack in it and the recall sleeve was not going to cut it but they told me that my vin did not fall under a replacment module, only a metal sleeve and i would have to pay out pocket. i trusted them and ended up paying over $1600 cause i also needed a new fuel pump because the wiring had dracked off and the wires were completely exposed in the tank. the best part of the story is after the car had been sitting a few weeks in the garage i go and start it up and fuel starts pouring out the bottom. i open it up and the fuel line thats crimped on the module is squirting like old faithful. those stupid mothers cant even crimp a fuel line correctly. i have had it.
fwiw, I think South Bay is the worst dealer in the entire country (it's owned by Auto Nation.)

Try a good Indy like G&N in West LA. http://gnnmotors.com/

Also MB of Beverly Hills isn't too bad as a dealer (owned by Group 1 Automotive.) They're also a certified AMG Performance Center.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
What a joke! Costs $330 + shipping to replace the part + 45 minutes of work (taking it slow). I used a hose clamp, just be careful not to overtighten it. Most dealers are idiots, they don't have to try hard to stay in business, unlike Indys.

Originally Posted by soop95
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55
Cool

Originally Posted by turbo97se
What a joke! Costs $330 + shipping to replace the part + 45 minutes of work (taking it slow). I used a hose clamp, just be careful not to overtighten it. Most dealers are idiots, they don't have to try hard to stay in business, unlike Indys.
Could you please tell me where you bought the parts from? I'm having the same issue with the fuel tank or sender. However, I have been postponing it by only filling my tank up half way. I did a search on "thepartsbin.com" but it the parts did not come up.

Thank you,

Mike
Old 01-10-2011, 01:43 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55-0817
Could you please tell me where you bought the parts from? I'm having the same issue with the fuel tank or sender. However, I have been postponing it by only filling my tank up half way. I did a search on "thepartsbin.com" but it the parts did not come up.

Thank you,

Mike
Me too,

Cannot locate the passenger side sending unit, if it is cracked, i gotta replace it.

Please help

Cheers
Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
www.parts.com

The part number varies by year. Mine is 2005. The parts are

My Pump A2114701794 (most years)
My Sender A2114705194 (I think the cut off was 2005)

Best to go to EPC on line to check the latest and greatest part numbers. By the way, the price is $351 not $330, sorry I made a mistake there.

I think if people can fight it, and have Mercedes pay for it, they should! I just lost patience and wanted to get my car on the road again. Good Luck. I have a DIY if you want to search for it.

Originally Posted by dkindrumr
Me too,

Cannot locate the passenger side sending unit, if it is cracked, i gotta replace it.

Please help

Cheers
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Since this thread started out with "these cars are bombs," and all the speculation about burning Benzes (which haven't yet appeared thankfully) here's something to maybe be concerned about if you own a BMW X5....

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/bmw...A2Q79QUHKB8/p3

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/F...#ixzz1AkmSmeVu
Old 01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
today i was cleaning my wheels, and i smelt gas... just filled it all the way last night, now theres about 3/4 of a cup of gas in the pump sending units hole. has this been addressed by MB yet?????????
Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
today i was cleaning my wheels, and i smelt gas... just filled it all the way last night, now theres about 3/4 of a cup of gas in the pump sending units hole. has this been addressed by MB yet?????????

Please read this entire thread...
Old 01-29-2011, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Eurohorses
Please read this entire thread...
This issue is really out of control. They need to man up and take care of business.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Evolved8
This issue is really out of control. They need to man up and take care of business.

It has to be a group effort. Individual claims and complaints wont phase them.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by 220S
Since this thread started out with "these cars are bombs," and all the speculation about burning Benzes (which haven't yet appeared thankfully) here's something to maybe be concerned about if you own a BMW X5....

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/bmw...A2Q79QUHKB8/p3

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/F...#ixzz1AkmSmeVu

How is that not getting more press? BMW should be under fire for this, literally.

Scary stuff.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I called roadside, and they wouldnt help at at all, and i told them it wont be good for them if i blow up in their car, and she said all i can do is have it towed... wtf... how about make another recalll?????????
Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM

2005 E55
I am now one+ to this statistic. Big thanks to the members who put in their own time posting up pics and write UPS. I can't imagine how freaked out I would be if it wasn't for this forum when I smelled fuel in my car. How can we help with addressing this issue to MBusa as a group?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
talk to 03rstt and he'll help you out
Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 PM

13 E63
I'm sorry to read about about so many new leaks. We are not even in the heat of summer yet. This has me concerned.

This is a serious issue and while the subject title of the thread may be alittle extreme...I did add "just waiting to go off". Just remember, I wrote this thread after filling up our E55 in 100+ degree heat and simply driving home a mile or two to wash the car. I was pouring fuel out the whole way home. You could say I was alittle heated about the whole situation having gone thru 2 repairs for this condition in 2 years and then having this massive failure right out of the blue.

If I took this car out on the freeway who knows what would have happened.

How to proceed?

1. Document your situation. Take the seat out and covers off and take pictures. Document time and mileage.
2. Take the car into MB service and plead for help in the matter. Ask for the condition to be sent to MB USA and ask for regional advisor on the issue. Get any and all feedback in writing.
3. Call NHTSA and file your claim. Explain to the rep that many other E55 owners are having the same problem and MB has not offered much help. Ask for a investigator.
4. Call MB USA and file your complaint. Take names and numbers of who you talk to. Ask for any final judgement in writing.
5. Sit back and wait. Or just sell the car.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E63S and 2015 Macan S
Originally Posted by 03RSTT
...just waiting to go off.

If you have a 03-06 E55 that was involved in the fuel level sender recall back in 2008 you still may have a problem.

The recall did not seem to fix the problem and several E55 owners are now reporting that the replacement part is starting to leak. Ours broke this last weekend and literally gas was pouring out from under my car. This is a fire and bomb hazard and had I not noticed this and drove the car on the hwy....I would not be writing this post.

I have reported the condition to the NHTSA and filed a claim.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I have called MB USA and started a notice and case file.

I have 4 other E55 owners with the same problem. One has said MB USA denied any assistance in fixing his car because "we completed the recall in 2008 and that was it."

How stupid of MB USA.

Just over 2years and 12,000 miles. The assembly is cracked and fuel is pouring out just sitting there.

I had a similar problem kept smelling gas from the rear passenger side so the dealer said they fixed it but I still smell the gas. Mbusa told me the same thing...I have been in a battle with mbusa regarding my tranny that died w. 56K miles...they found a problem with my tranny while under warranty and said they fixed it but obviously they didn't and now I'm out of warranty and they won't help at all

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.