W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

I am beginning to think my car is not reliable!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2010 | 05:03 PM

13 E63
I ran the tank down to 1/2 and filled up with Shell premium again and my fuel catalyst. The same result.

I think it may have something to do with the IC pump and it may be weak. 65k and its never been changed. I also feel that the car is a pooch or not very fast.

2+2 is leading me to the IC pump. I think I have obd scanner around here and I may check the IATs.

Thanks...more things to do on my list of things to do.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
You are correct: the ECU will retard timing when it senses pinging and it will do so very aggressively. If you are getting consistent repeated pinging, then you may want to try emptying the current tank of gas and filling-up 5 to 7 gallons of 100 octane and see if the pinging returns. If not, then it could have been a case of bad gas.
Old 08-24-2010 | 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by 03RSTT
I dont see anything hostile in my response. Direct yes. Facts yes. No hard feelings are intended in your direction. I just have a different opinion and literally my butt on the line here. We live in the hot zone and with limited numbers 4300 over 4 years...how many of the 4300 are in hot zones. Seems the repeat failures are mostly from hot zones.
I read this: "So, let me now ask you this. Do you still think this is a dealer level concern? sir.", as you assuming I was making some sort of a definitive statement about, that's all.

I understand that you're frustrated. I have no opinion on the issue whatsoever, except that I guess I'm a type that wants the facts and will search what's going on everywhere, that's all. Corporations are never very transparent.

Anyway, as I said I was repeating what I had seen about this issue in the MBCA forums. So part of my curiosity had to do with what the dealers were doing, how MBUSA preformed this recall, why the NHTSA doesn't seem to recognize it as a safety issue, etc.. And wanting to know if MBUSA has figures on this, which we know they do. They keep track of everything that goes on, even the number of phone calls per day and the category they fall under, etc.. They might act dumb for a reason, but they know what's going on.
Old 08-24-2010 | 06:51 PM

13 E63
I have detailed the facts as I know it.

You have introduced nothing but subjective banter. No true fire hazard? Really? You base this on what information exactly? The supposition that NHTSA didnt think so at the time? Without one ounce of fact you can reach this conclusion?

NHTSA is a government red tape machine. It will take time before they jump into action. 6 months to 2 years could be a good guess. The repeat failures are just starting to occur.

7 years....hmmm, 2006 E55s are clearly 7yrs old. As for the early models...we are again talking about 1400 2003 units that involve how many in hot zones?

I guess I dont understand why you care or suppose a theory that dealers were left to make poor choices or NHTSA did not determine a fire hazard.

Dealers for the most part dont care. No concern was raised to MB USA on my fuel leaks. Ditto for the other members. Only my actions have notified MB USA, NHTSA, forums, local Phoenix news and poss national coverage. Time will tell. Paper trail is clear and the facts will not cast any shadow of a doubt. IF any E55 catches fire or blows up....MB USA and NHTSA had full knowledge before such event happened.

Let me see here? It would be nice to have actual numbers before and after the recall. Only then can we determine if there is a problem or not? Are you kidding me? If we stumble across 15 repeat failures in one week on this forum....are those 15 cases not worthy of your consideration? 15 repeat failures....countless "gas leak" "gas smell" complaints.

No we dont have a problem. Nothing to see folks.

Originally Posted by 220S
It would good to have the actual numbers. But only MBUSA has those numbers which they can collect through their dealer franchises.

This was discussed a few years ago in the MBCA. The recall was a voluntary recall (#2008-020001) from MBUSA. It was issued in 2008 and covers certain 2003-2006 E Class and CLS Class cars. Apparently when MBUSA made the recall, the new unit was sometimes being installed incorrectly or a lot of dealers simply changed the gasket or attempted a fix. The consensus was that the "real" problem is that MBUSA let the dealer decide whether to repair the unit or actually replace it, and only "if necessary."

NHTSA wasn't involved because apparently there is no true fire hazard in relation to the design of the system. They have made safety recalls when fuel tanks and systems don't perform properly during a crash, though.

No car has caught on fire in 7 years (at least yet) and there are lots of cars potentially affected (it can develop the cracks in hot weather in heavy stop and go driving.) But according to MBUSA the part change recall campaign has resolved everything, and so it's been left in the dealer's hands. Is this maybe more of a dealer issue?

Again, it would be nice to have actual numbers of failures before and after the recall has been performed. That's the only way to know what's really going on. But none of us will get to see those figures.
Old 08-24-2010 | 06:53 PM

13 E63
Yep, no true fire hazard here.

Old 08-24-2010 | 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Ouch. I think we're having a failure to communicate here. Sorry, I was simply raising questions. I'm curious is all. After your original post I searched everywhere. I called MBUSA. I spoke with two long time MBCA members. I searched the NHTSA archives. I'm curious as to what's going on.

I posted an inquiry, not any subjective banter or agenda. I'm sincerely curious why the NHTSA didn't find this a safety threat. I never said it wasn't a threat, I want to know why they don't think it is. Why didn't they see it as such? Is MBUSA holding back something? Is there a conspiracy brewing?

This is called dialogue. Nobody's refuting anything you've posted, including me. I'd like to know, that's all. Inquiring minds want to know what's going on. We're all concerned. So why not lay all the info out, good, bad, pro, con, negative, positive?

p.s., I want the numbers because I know MBUSA hides the numbers. NOT because it's not happening.

Last edited by 220S; 08-24-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2010 | 07:09 PM

13 E63
No problem on my end. I can be very direct and matter of fact when it comes to these things. I look at every word.

I too want to know but further I want to nail these *******s if there is a coverup. The only way to do that is to document everything. Notify MB USA and get copies of the case. Notify NHTSA and get copies of the case. Find each and every E55 owner with the exact same failure and have them do the same.

That is where we stand in the process. I cant suppose there is a coverup or not. I can only document my failure and potential danger and have the others do the same. Then report. If nothing is done from MB or NHTSA and cars start blowing up. Well then its too late and there will be hell to pay. I hope and pray that it does not come to that.

Originally Posted by 220S
Ouch. I think we're having a failure to communicate here. Sorry, I was simply raising questions. I'm curious is all. After your original post I searched everywhere. I called MBUSA. I spoke with two long time MBCA members. I searched the NHTSA archives. I'm curious as to what's going on.

I posted an inquiry, not any subjective banter or agenda. I'm sincerely curious why the NHTSA didn't find this a safety threat. I never said it wasn't a threat, I want to know why they don't think it is. Why didn't they see it as such? Is MBUSA holding back something? Is there a conspiracy brewing?

This is called dialogue. Nobody's refuting anything you've posted, including me. I'd like to know, that's all. Inquiring minds want to know what's going on. We're all concerned. So why not lay all the info out, good, bad, pro, con, negative, positive?

p.s., I want the numbers because I know MBUSA hides the numbers. NOT because it's not happening.
Old 08-24-2010 | 11:02 PM

13 E63
Yep,

No problem here folks. Nothing to see. Another E55 with the recall completed and assembly replaced now leaking gas again.

MB USA....do you hear me now?

Old 08-25-2010 | 10:07 PM

2013 E63 Performance Package
Wow, talk about hijacking a thread.

03RSTT - I think it is the way you use the word "sir" in your response that seems hostile. It caught me off-guard. I agree you have a problem with your car, and I feel bad that you can't get it fixed properly, but I didn't see anything in the responses that were against you. Just my take on things!
Old 08-25-2010 | 11:30 PM

13 E63
Let me see where exactly is the hijack?

Can you point it out? OP had a list of trouble items. Fuel sender and intercooler pump were on that list.

As for sir. You have to be kidding me right? I'm a jerk for using the word "sir". Really.

I didnt say the responses were against me. I was direct in my reply. I also made it clear no hard feelings were intended by my response. You need more?

I dont like suppositions or subjective directions with no basis in fact or data. Not a big deal. Maybe its just my signature you dont like?

Originally Posted by milepostnate
Wow, talk about hijacking a thread.

03RSTT - I think it is the way you use the word "sir" in your response that seems hostile. It caught me off-guard. I agree you have a problem with your car, and I feel bad that you can't get it fixed properly, but I didn't see anything in the responses that were against you. Just my take on things!

Last edited by 03RSTT; 08-25-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2010 | 02:04 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 03RSTT
Let me see where exactly is the hijack?

Can you point it out? OP had a list of trouble items. Fuel sender and intercooler pump were on that list.

As for sir. You have to be kidding me right? I'm a jerk for using the word "sir". Really.

I didnt say the responses were against me. I was direct in my reply. I also made it clear no hard feelings were intended by my response. You need more?

I dont like suppositions or subjective directions with no basis in fact or data. Not a big deal. Maybe its just my signature you dont like?
Thank you for ruining this thread with your extreme fuel leak paranoia that you already have your own thread for. Can you please STFU now? If people want to watch your rant they will go to your thread.
Old 08-26-2010 | 02:56 PM

13 E63
STFU

Clearly on topic.

2500 page views on my ranting paranoia and counting.

Originally Posted by snail45
Thank you for ruining this thread with your extreme fuel leak paranoia that you already have your own thread for. Can you please STFU now? If people want to watch your rant they will go to your thread.
Old 08-27-2010 | 11:14 AM

2003 E55 K1
Cool

Nothing is more frustrating than having a problem that the dealer can't or won't fix, particularly a gas leak problem that clearly is a dangerous situation. The fact that there has not been a serious accident is just pure luck. I certainly would not want my family riding in a car with a leak, nor would I want the car parked in my garage.

I may not have read all your threads closely, but I would threaten legal action against MB. I would also write some letters to the editor, better business bureau, and various state and federal agencies. After that, I would throw a match into the back seat the next time you get the leak. No car is worth this much aggravation.
Old 08-27-2010 | 11:34 AM

13 E63
Thanks, I had no plans to hijack any thread. The fuel leak and intercooler pump were part of your list of failures. My own fuel leak thread was over 2500 page views in just under a week. My first thread on this forum in over a year.

Snail45-As for "ruin" or "paranoia" you have to be kidding me right?

I have contacts in Kutak/Rock and the wheels are turning. I also have been contacted by a class action org already. Again the wheels are turning.

Our car is fixed for now and ext warranty picked up most of the tab. MB USA could have just looked into the matter and shown some interest instead of kicking me and all the E55 owners out in the street. Now its war.

Attorney General of AZ is getting a letter next week. Let us all see how he feels about MB USA and the coverup/denial to fix a dangerous fuel leak where blame has been cast in the past. Should be some fun action in an election year. "That dirty greedy corp hiding a safety defect that could kill owners and leave bombs just waiting to go off."

And shall I say. If by chance any E class blows up in the coming weeks. MB is toast. The string of denials to Eclass owners with repeat fuel leaks from the same component that was recalled is growing every day.

Nice move MB.

Originally Posted by Coalman
Nothing is more frustrating than having a problem that the dealer can't or won't fix, particularly a gas leak problem that clearly is a dangerous situation. The fact that there has not been a serious accident is just pure luck. I certainly would not want my family riding in a car with a leak, nor would I want the car parked in my garage.

I may not have read all your threads closely, but I would threaten legal action against MB. I would also write some letters to the editor, better business bureau, and various state and federal agencies. After that, I would throw a match into the back seat the next time you get the leak. No car is worth this much aggravation.

Last edited by 03RSTT; 08-27-2010 at 10:47 PM.