DIY: Eisenmann Race Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
DIY: Eisenmann Race Install

Over a period of time, I've snagged the remnants of an E55 catback exhaust set-up minus the mufflers and a used pair of Eisenmann Race mufflers. This past weekend I finally had time to complete the parts clean-up and do the install. Following is a shot of the driver's side exhaust pipe before cleaning and polishing. A little rough, reflecting its former life in a snow-infested part of the country:

Looks better after a little metal polish and elbow grease:

The used mufflers cleaned and polished up very nicely:

After getting all of the parts cleaned up and polished, it was time to remove the existing stock exhaust system. With a lift and a couple of jack stands, it's a one person job. Here's the main combined resonator/muffler assembly being lowered from the car:

A disadvantage of buying a used slipover muffler system such as an Eisenmann setup is that the original owner has already clamped the mufflers to the exhaust pipes. This means that before they can be used again, it's necessary to press out any indentations from the prior clamping such that the pipe will once again easily slide over the exhaust pipes. Since I don' t have any hydraulic pipe swager/expanding equipment in my garage, I had to use a manual Lisle tailpipe expander, which fortunately was up to the task:

With the mufflers now ready to be installed, it was necessary to do test mounts to determine where to cut off the exhaust pipe on each side. After a couple of test mounts of the mufflers to mark the pipes to allow enough remaining pipe for the mufflers to slip over, a cutoff saw easily handled the task of cutting the pipes to the correct length. Next step was to then mount the resonator section and the partial driver side pipe in place for the final muffler install. During this step, pay close attention to the bolt lengths securing the resonator to the cats. The two bolts on the passenger side are slightly longer than those specified for the driver's side and these shouldn't be mixed or you won't have enough bolt exposed to fully secure the new copper lock nuts. This is also a good time to replace the exhaust gasket on the passenger side of the pipe to ensures a nice leak free seal. With the pipes now in place, here's a shot of the driver's side pipe with an application of Wurth Exhaust Assembly Paste applied prior to mounting the muffler. The paste ensures a leak-free seal:

Here's a shot of the passenger side muffler mounted in place. Instead of using the Eisenmann supplied clamp, I chose to use a better sealing Accuseal clamp:

And finally, here's a shot of both mufflers bolted into place:

The Eisenmann Race exhaust has a much deeper note than the stock system. By retaining the stock resonator, there is zero drone in the cabin. And the exhaust sounds excellent on the exterior. Aggressive without being obnoxious - just what I was looking for and what MB should have done for our cars from the factory.

Last edited by komp55; 09-22-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Great write up!!!!!! now post a vid clip so we can hear the results
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Viking War Ship
Great work and a great write-up!!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Awesome post! Where did you find the exhaust at? Also, we need a sound clip
Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Nice! This is the exact exhaust I want after hearing Vic55's YouTube vids.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor
komp55 did u feel any power gain with the new mufflers or just more sound
Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Since I'm already running Evosport shorties, I'd say the benefit was primarily better sound - which of course makes the car sound more powerful. They are lighter than the factory mufflers, though. For any more power gains out of the exhaust, I'd have to go long tube headers - which I see no point in doing given how my car is used.