W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYI W211 Center Split Armrest fix (Bubbles on the split center armrest)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Nice write-up! Mine isn't bubbly yet, but I can see it's gonna start soon.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 PM

W211 E55 AMG Kompressor
hello, i may be interested in your used armrest, what will you take for it and shipped to Orlando 32824...???? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:07 PM

2005 E55 amg
BUMP....I attempted to do this today but stopped because I became very frustrated. I have every torx tool imaginable but do not have a T12 nor could I find one.

That was my intial frustration. So moving on I unscrewed every T10 torx on the inside (which were only the ones holding the opening clips in the front) then 4 more on the backside when you flip the console up. There also looks to be much smaller torx screws like a T8? Do those need to be removed?

Anyway, I'd like to do this but reading this thread and trying to apply it just isn't working right now.

Anyone else read this thread and successfully manage to fix the center console bubble?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:47 PM

2003 e320 4-door
2003 e-320 butteryfly center storage door removal issues

Greetings all - new here and need to ask a question or two.

....I write for my friend whom has a Mercedes 2003 e-320 4 door with the center butterfly split storage console (covered with leather-not wood). He has the same problem as is stated in many of the posts stated here.

....What i need to know is HOW do I / can I detach the two (2) butterfly center console doors (maybe from the hinges?) in his vehicle?

......He has a complete center console i obtained for him in MINT condition that he "simply" wants to swap the armrest door hatches that have bubbled, for the replacement ones I obtained for him...can anyone help?...Thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E55 AMG
This was my first repair I did when I got my car and I was very pleased with the results. A leather repair shop quoted me a ridiculous amount so I just did myself thanks to the write up.
Getting those little spring clips back in was a real *******!!!! I also discovered that the console is covered in vinyl and not leather, which is very cheap to replace if you poke a screw driver through it like someone I know.

Last edited by James M; 07-22-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:38 AM

2003 e320 4-door
Originally Posted by James M
This was this first repair I did when I got my car and I was very pleased with the results. A leather repair shop quoted me a ridiculous amount so I just did myself thanks to the write up.
Getting those little spring clips back in was a real *******!!!! I also discovered that the console is covered in vinyl and not leather, which is very cheap to replace if you poke a screw driver through it like someone I know.

I appreciate the response but, not what i asked....I inquired as to the steps/procedures to REMOVE THE BUTTERFLY DOORS and not to re-cover them.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 AM

03 E55 AMG
Er, actually I was thanking Pacman for his great write up. However, if memory serves me well then to remove the butterfly doors you will still need to disassemble the console because the nasty spring clips that allow them to open are hidden underneath. I too did not have the correct Torx tool and found that if you have a set of Allen keys, one of them will fit snugly. Best of luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 AM

2003 e320 4-door
Originally Posted by James M
Er, actually I was thanking Pacman for his great write up. However, if memory serves me well then to remove the butterfly doors you will still need to disassemble the console because the nasty spring clips that allow them to open are hidden underneath. I too did not have the correct Torx tool and found that if you have a set of Allen keys, one of them will fit snugly. Best of luck.

Sorry 'bout that!....Because of the order of responses and that another name other than mine was not mentioned, believed it was directed at/for me...
Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM

03 E55 AMG
No worries mate - hope you come right. I must say it was not the most enjoyable DIY I have done on my Merc.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:16 PM

2003 W211 E320
The image links of your diy are not working. Can you repost? Thank you. Mine is bubbling like crazy and getting super annoying. Thx again.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 2WUPROMOTIONS
The image links of your diy are not working. Can you repost? Thank you. Mine is bubbling like crazy and getting super annoying. Thx again.
I second this, maybe use imgur.com to host photos?
Old 03-06-2016, 05:54 PM

2014 E550, 2003 E500, 1999 GMC Sierra, 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD
I just repaired my 2" x 4" armrest bubble on my '03 E500 using the heat gun and ice method. Heat gun in one hand, ice in the other. When I heated the bubbled area the heat gun made it worse initially. Then immediately rubbed it down with the ice for about 30 secs. The bubble was completely gone. No sign whatsoever. It's only been two days. We'll see if it comes back.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
All I can add is dont use a thick tacky glue it needs to be a nice thin stuff and dont clamp it down to hard it wants some soft medium between the clamping wood and the vinyl. Those were my fatal mistakes on my attempt. Its a throw away now. Live and learn I guess wish id seen this before I tried.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:29 PM

E320
worked

Originally Posted by pacman...
After doing much research and trying to figure out more about the issue on these center armrest, i said to hell with it and took it all apart.

TOOLS

*T10-T12 Torx tools
*3m Adhesive
*Flat head screw driver
*Flat spatula (preferably plastic one so you don't rip the leather)
*A HELL OF A LOT OF PATIENCE!!!!

STEPS
1. REMOVE THE CONSOLE BY UNSCREWING THE TORX SCREWS ON THE INSIDE AND BOTTOM OF THE CONSOLE.

2. REMOVE INSIDE ON CONSOLE AND PUT TO THE SIDE (LEAVE ALL THE WIRING INSIDE THE CONSOLE IN THE BOTTOM COMPARTMENT)

***DO NOT FORGET WHICH WAY THE WIRES GO ONCE YOU REMOVE THE FLASE FLOOR OF THE FIRST LEVEL WHERE ALL OF THE TELE-AID CABLES ARE!!!!***

3. ONCE TOP OF ARMREST IS EMPTY LIFT CONSOLE TILL UPRIGHT AND REMOVE THE LAST 2 TORX SCREWS LOCATED ON THE REAR BOTTOM PART OF ARM REST (ITS WHAT ATTACHES THE LITTLE STEP BEHIND THE ARMREST)

4. PULL CONSOLE OUT AND GET READY FOR THE REAL FUN TO BEGIN...LOL

5. REMOVE THE LOCKING MECHANISM, AND ONCE THE 2 SIDES ARE OPEN YOU WILL SEE THERE IS A SPRING AND A REAR TOGGLE HOLDING IT IN PLACE BY PRESSURE AND A METAL CYLINDER WEDGE.

6. REMOVE REAR TO FRONT, ONCE YOU PULL OFF THE TOGGLE AND METAL WEDGE LET THE SIDE OPEN PULL UP AND PUSH FORWARD TILL ARM IS OFF...FOR THE OPPOSITE SIDE REPEAT SAME PROCEDURE.

7. ONCE BOTH ARMS ARE OFF, STICK THE FLAT HEAD SCREW DRIVER IN BETWEEN THE LEATHER AND BOTTOM PLASTIC, TO SEPARATE THE TOP AND BOTTOM...APPLY PROPER PRESSURE TO SEPARATE BE CAREFUL TO NOT BREAK THE CLIPS (YOU WILL HEAR IT START TO CRACK AND SUCH, AND THAT BECAUSE THE PLASTIC INSIDE OF IT WAS MELTED TO HOLD TOGETHER TOP AND BOTTOM WITH PLASTIC RIBITS) ALSO REMOVE THE WIPER LOOKING CLIPS THAT SEAL THE 2 ARMS TOGETHER ONCE CLOSED.

8. ONCE SEPARATED USE FLAT SPATULA TO PUSH CORNERS OF THE LEATHER OFF OF THE PLASTIC UPPER COVER...PULL OFF AS NEEDED AND APPLY 3M ADHESIVE, LET IT DRY AND THEN ASSEMBLE AND SNAP CLIPS INTO PLACE (YOU CAN ALSO IF WANTING TO BE UNIQUE CHOSE TO RE-WRAP IT IN SUEDE OR EVEN STITCH IT SO THIS WONT HAPPEN AGAIN)...AND REPEAT PROCESS IN REVERSE TO FINISH REASSEMBLY

AND FINALLY PUT BACK IN CAR...AND WAHLAHHHHH!!!! DONT!!!

LOOK AT PICS POSTED FOR EXAMPLES...THANKS

PLEASE DROP ME SOME THANKS OR PROPS... THANKS
No idea why when I view your message I see no pics. But during reply I see there are items attached, but still can not see them. So I thought I would stick up a pick of what it looks like once opened for the others out there. The top has definitely been welded to the base. I think it is a chemical weld (Like Weldon product). I think the little rubber caps that everyone (including myself) thought would lead to a mechanical mechanism of release. Are there for the spraying of the chemical welding agent. So it has no value to remove them. Unless you are going to spray a chemical welding agent back inside later. I plan to try Weldon myself. Will let you know how that works.
There are some tabs on the short side where the gasket is (they help hold the gasket). Those tabs fit into grooves on the matching piece so do not pry that side apart with too much angle other then from end to end. You could break the alignment tabs.

This is what it looks like once opened. The is no release mechanism. You have to break the plastic weld between top and bottom. It appears to have been welded chemically.

Another view of inside welding.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
I have an OEM butterfly arm rest for sale in Pasadena, CA. Prefer pickup: $40.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:20 PM

2005 e500
I'm about ready to put a razor blade to it, rip off all this leather/vivyl from the center arm rest and wrap it with carbon warp. I'll send pictures later
Old 07-22-2022, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by e500beast
I'm about ready to put a razor blade to it, rip off all this leather/vivyl from the center arm rest and wrap it with carbon warp. I'll send pictures later
If you're going to do all that, just buy the things off eBay. They sell Chinese made covers to fit over the clamshell parts, in wood and I think carbon fiber look.