Sponsored by:

Rust proofing the e55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Rust proofing the e55?

I'm a recently purchased an e55 that i plan to drive in the winter here in Toronto, I was wondering if people who drive these cars all year around get them rust proofed?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S63 AMG, E55 AMG,C Class AMG CLK55 AMG, Jeep Rubicon
Do it.

If you plan on keeping any car for a long time, I would do it.

I am not sure what you were planning, but the easiest way is a electronic type rust inhibitor that plugs right to your battery.

Whether your dealing with salt or humidity, metals will rust period.

You attach a lead to your frame and any misc. and your good to go.

Couple hundred bucks and half hour of time.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by jkintegra
If you plan on keeping any car for a long time, I would do it.

I am not sure what you were planning, but the easiest way is a electronic type rust inhibitor that plugs right to your battery.

Whether your dealing with salt or humidity, metals will rust period.

You attach a lead to your frame and any misc. and your good to go.

Couple hundred bucks and half hour of time.
Not my words, but worth noting

Galvanic protection works. A sacrificial anode bonded to a less reactive material, provides the electrons instead of the base material, and thus will "rust" first. The electrical polarity will be such that the sacrificial anode is more positive with respect to the base material. Traditional sacrificial anodes work only if immersed in a conductive liquid.

This product works similarly, in that the "pads" are more positive w.r.t the car body. Since no dielectric is perfect, there can be some electron migration to the base material if it started to rust. Instead of the anode being sacrificed, the electrons are provided by the power supply (which also completes the circuit)

There is some real science behind this, but I would say this product does not work.

In a sacrificial anode situation, the anode provides the electrons by becoming an ion and bonding with oxygen to "rust" first. In this power supply situation, where is the extra electron coming from? As far as I can see, the number of electrons in the system remains the same, no matter if there is a potential difference, or if there is a static charge, or if the dielectric is not perfect.

My "follow-the-money" test also thinks that it does not work, as no vehicle manufacturer offers this. Imagine "Buy a [insert] your favourite brand here [/insert] and get 10 years no rust guarantee through active protection!".
Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S63 AMG, E55 AMG,C Class AMG CLK55 AMG, Jeep Rubicon
Dont Do It.

Originally Posted by AgSilver
Not my words, but worth noting

Galvanic protection works. A sacrificial anode bonded to a less reactive material, provides the electrons instead of the base material, and thus will "rust" first. The electrical polarity will be such that the sacrificial anode is more positive with respect to the base material. Traditional sacrificial anodes work only if immersed in a conductive liquid.

This product works similarly, in that the "pads" are more positive w.r.t the car body. Since no dielectric is perfect, there can be some electron migration to the base material if it started to rust. Instead of the anode being sacrificed, the electrons are provided by the power supply (which also completes the circuit)

There is some real science behind this, but I would say this product does not work.

In a sacrificial anode situation, the anode provides the electrons by becoming an ion and bonding with oxygen to "rust" first. In this power supply situation, where is the extra electron coming from? As far as I can see, the number of electrons in the system remains the same, no matter if there is a potential difference, or if there is a static charge, or if the dielectric is not perfect.

My "follow-the-money" test also thinks that it does not work, as no vehicle manufacturer offers this. Imagine "Buy a [insert] your favourite brand here [/insert] and get 10 years no rust guarantee through active protection!".

Well then If that is correct above, please disregard my comment...

Really though,Thats funny . I was just getting ready to buy one of these as I just purchased my 55. Wont waste the money now.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Toronto winters will eat that poor car alive...I am sad for the car already.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by slownrusty
Toronto winters will eat that poor car alive...I am sad for the car already.

LOL, don't worry she'll be fine, I'm going to have the car done with KROWN rust protection...will be fine
http://www.krown.com/#default
its really a proven product....
Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by saleen01
LOL, don't worry she'll be fine, I'm going to have the car done with KROWN rust protection...will be fine
http://www.krown.com/#default
its really a proven product....
Yes indeed, that or similar treatments work quite well. Just keep the underside clean from salt with a hose and fresh water (as you would clean salt from a boat).