Sponsored by:

Airmatic or bushing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Airmatic or bushing question

Hello, I first want to say thanks for all the great information on this forum, its saved me losts of money!

I had a question someone might be able to answer. A few weeks ago I noticed a rubber on rubber noise coming from the front right corner when I would either pull into the driveway or over a speedbump. The noise seemed a bit louder so I took it into a local shop and got underneath with the tech. After checking the bushings, mounter mounts, ball joints and control arm bushings we both feared it was the Airmatic. Although my Airmatic seems to work fine with no leaks. But when we raised and lowered the car it would make noises, sort of like stress noises or some sort, almost a clicking or cracking-ish noise. The sound isnt consistant though, in the past few days it doesnt seem as bad as it was a couple weeks ago but the noise is for sure still there. Im going to get a 2nd opinion first before I look into buying new Airmatic for the front but I thought maybe someone would have some insight on to how I can tell for a 100% sure if its airmatic or not.

The other weird thing is one time I had the car parked in the garage and when I walked by the left rear wheel it made a weird noise that was motion activated meaning when I got close to it it would make the noise. It sounded Air-matic-ish but almost similiar to a dog growling, sounds crazy im sure but my friend noticed it first. When i put my hand near the wheel it would gargle and make a weird noise like a animal was caught in the wheel. Weirdest **** ever.. Thanks for all your help.