Sponsored by:

Newbie: Have some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Newbie: Have some questions

Hello, Im looking at getting into an e55. I currently drive a stock 04 SVT Cobra. I want something something thats classy and still fast with 4 doors, which is why I am looking at e55's.

Im curious about the drivablity and reliability of the e55. I will be daily driving the car from march/april to about november just like I do with my SVT. Also, how is the fuel economy? Im sure its not the greatest, but Im used to that with the Cobra. Can you work on these cars yourself or is this what I like to call a "dealer only" vehicle?? Is there any known issues that arise while owning an e55?

Im not quite sure what to expect because Ive honestly never owned a Mercedes-Benz, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Fuel economy really depends on how you drive.. If you drive with a heavy foot you will see around 15mpg mixed, but if your easy on the gas you could see around 20.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E55
Buy it!!!! You won't be disappointed.... Best car I have ever owned!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Best advice I can give. Try to snag one with a warranty.

There is a reason we call the dealer the "stealer" and buying parts "rape"

Mercedes parts are marked up to a level that will blow your mind.

Example ....brakes. AMG recommends replacing the pads....AND ROTORS on each brake job. That's not turning.....replacement. Your talking a cool grand easy when they are done with you for fronts. Had many guys just throw on pads and seem to be okay but just trying to let ya know.

It's an amazing car. Greatest I have ever owned and pretty worry free, but as with anything like this, gotta pay to play.

Long as you know that going in, come on in and join the party!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by lilg210
Buy it!!!! You won't be disappointed.... Best car I have ever owned!!!
WOW that's usefu!

From having owned mine for a couple of years I can offer the following advice:-

1. Search the topic of E55 ownership and all its trials and tribulation as it has been discussed often.
2. As Jakpro1 says GET a warranty with the car. Everyone has different experiences with E55 ownership but just 2 trips to the dealership for an alternator and SC clutch replacement and I'd already covered my expense on the warranty and it didn't stop there.
3. Even though you will probably pay less than $30K don't think of this car as a $30K it's a $100K can costs to maintain it.
4. You can do some work yourself if you are mechanical. I did my brakes for instance and parts totaled $350 for new pads and rotors labor was free
5. I daily drive my car and love it every time I push the button to start her up!

Hope that answers some of your questions. Good luck in finding your E55 you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by grantwoodtx; 10-14-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W463 G500, 2003 Terminator Cobra (710RWHP), 2012 S350 Bluetec, 2010 911 C4S, 2007 VRSCDX
Originally Posted by Up in the Air
Hello, Im looking at getting into an e55. I currently drive a stock 04 SVT Cobra. I want something something thats classy and still fast with 4 doors, which is why I am looking at e55's.

Im curious about the drivablity and reliability of the e55. I will be daily driving the car from march/april to about november just like I do with my SVT. Also, how is the fuel economy? Im sure its not the greatest, but Im used to that with the Cobra. Can you work on these cars yourself or is this what I like to call a "dealer only" vehicle?? Is there any known issues that arise while owning an e55?

Im not quite sure what to expect because Ive honestly never owned a Mercedes-Benz, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I also came from a Sonic Blue Whipple 2.3 Cobra making 606/576 RWHP Dynojet. Its no Cobra when it comes to modifications or even tuning. The Cobra forged internals and cast iron block. I dont know about the E55 but the E63 is sleeved and forged crank and rod.

Modify example, a 2.75 Pulley (20.5lbs of boost) for a Whipple is $100 with dyno tune $600. E55 $1800 for almost 2lbs of boost, and the pulley swap is not nearly as easy as it is for the Cobra!!!! Exhaust for any AMG Mercedes is insanely expensive full exhaust is easily over $4k including headers. Dollar for Dollar Cobra cannot be beat for straight line performance.

With that being said, the interior of that car is the biggest piece of **** EVER! When they are whippled it is HOT AS **** inside the car.

When I sat in the E63 I knew it was the car, the fit and finish, headliner, the handling, the marvelous sounds of loud and quiet when you want it, and the amazing Logic7 stereo and I was sold.

Dont get me wrong COBRA is insanely fast! If i was 22 yrs old again and willing to risk everything on a street race I would own it still, but after a certain point you would like to go 140 and know you will live, thats when I made the swtich also because I am getting older and I dont street race anymore. Hope that helps a little for perspective

Last edited by W109 W211 6.2L; 10-14-2010 at 05:37 PM.