Sponsored by:

Anyone from Chicago?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Anyone from Chicago?

I've been talking to the dealership at Mercedes of Chicago about a black 2003 E55 AMG with 66k miles on it. Has anyone in the Chicago area seen this car before, or is willing to take a look at it for me?

Here is the link,

http://www.mercedesbenzchicago.com/u...ad3be9f050.htm

The only option it has is Keyless Go and Parking Sensors. Is this price fair? This is not a CPO, and it does not have any extended warranty. When I look at the KBB of this car, it is priced right on the dot. Do you think I can get a better deal? I am looking for a car that is sold at the dealership since my approved loan only allows it.

How much should I offer? Thanks!

-Mike
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 PM

2007 Tahoe
2003 E55 Chicago

What did the dealer have to say about this car? I tried calling today and since it no longer resides there they wouldn't give me any info on it. It has moved onto another dealer in Chicago now. The guy who has the car on his lot now told me it was a CPO on the the Benz lot. The car looks really clean. I have not seen it in person yet either but looking into buying it with an aftermarket warranty. He told me he used to work at the Benz dealer and they sell "Total Protection" warranty service. This is also what he is offering at his dealership. He ballparked 2500 for 2 yrs - 24,000. I think 4 yr 48k for 4k. Anybody have any feedback on this warranty company or The Import Auto Gallery in Chicago?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
MB of Chicago is owned by Fletcher Jones, they own a couple MB dealerships in the Chicago area as well as Audi, VW and Honda stores in Chicagoland they move their inventory around all the time between the various stores.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:27 PM

2007 Tahoe
few more questions

This dealer is a non MB dealer. However I guess it still could be owned by Fletcher but under some other name.

I did a search on here for the "Total Protection" warranty and didn't find much. From what I read there is nothing better than getting an actual MB warranty but is that even possible on a 2003 w/ 66,000 miles buying from a non MB lot?

Once again the gentleman told me this was a CPO on Fletchers lot but I'm from Michigan and know nothing about either of these two dealers so.....I'm taking his word for it. Was told it was fully inspected there but would I be dumb to not get it inspected myself? Is there any recommended places in Chicago that are capable?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:38 AM

2011 Ford Raptor, 2003 FX35, 2008 E63 AMG (Gone but not forgotten)
I looked and couldn't find this car. I checked autotrader too and no luck. Can you post an updated link?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:51 AM

2007 Tahoe
http://www.theimportautogallery.com/detail-2003-mercedes~benz-e~class-e55_4dr_sdn_5_5l_amg-used-6239308.html
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 AM

Car looks clean, but looks like no warranty, but one is available, which would be a Third Party. I don't know the dealer, and it's quite a drive from me unfortunately. I'd be concerned because you probably have 30 days to return it if it's a lemon, which means you'll me home by then. Too risky for me. I'll ask around to some of my car guys if they've shopped there. If I hear anything, I'll PM you.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by rlaity3
This dealer is a non MB dealer. However I guess it still could be owned by Fletcher but under some other name.

I did a search on here for the "Total Protection" warranty and didn't find much. From what I read there is nothing better than getting an actual MB warranty but is that even possible on a 2003 w/ 66,000 miles buying from a non MB lot?

Once again the gentleman told me this was a CPO on Fletchers lot but I'm from Michigan and know nothing about either of these two dealers so.....I'm taking his word for it. Was told it was fully inspected there but would I be dumb to not get it inspected myself? Is there any recommended places in Chicago that are capable?
The link provided in the OP's original post was to Mercedes Benz of Chicago which is most certainly a Fletcher Jones store. The link that you provided to the Import Auto Gallery is not a Fletcher owned store.

I don't know about you guys but that is a slight red flag for me. Dealerships do not "trade" used inventory with dealerships owned by different owners. Obviously, dealerships trade new car inventory all the time regardless of who owns the dealership. This vehicle was NOT dealer traded, it was either auctioned or wholesaled out. One has to ask why an MB dealership would auction or wholesale a late model AMG MB. The car would be able to be sold for maximum profit at an MB dealership. In most all situations a used car being sold on a new car lot that is an authorized new car dealer for that particular make should be able to be should at a higher price than if it were sold at another dealership, Example; A used BMW 2007 335i should fetch a slightly higher premium at a BMW dealership than the identical car would across the street at the Lexus dealership.

Obviously good cars are wholesaled and auctioned off all the time, Mercedes Benz of Chicago could have auctioned it for the simple fact that it's December in Chicago and the majority of people are not looking for a 500hp rwd car to drive through the winter. Here's where my "red flag" pops up, the main reason dealerships auction or wholesale cars is "stale inventory" a car that's been sitting on the lot for an extended period of time. Most dealerships use a method of financing their inventory that is commonly refered to as "flooring". Flooring is basically a bank or financial institution loaning dealerships money to purchase inventory. Most of the "flooring" programs are short term 60-90 days then the loan needs to be re-paid. So it is in the best interest of the dealer to move the car in less than 90 days so they are always working with the banks money rather than having to dip into their own accounts. If I had to guess that is the exact situation with this car and if that's the case you have to ask why did this car sit around for 90 days if it's such a great car? I would ask for a CarFax on this car, make sure it's current, make sure the report has todays date on it.

I'm not trying to scare the OP out of this car but make sure you cover all your bases especially since you are a long distance internet buyer.

To the OP
The Import Auto Gallery is actually in Addison, IL which is not too far from me, I was not willing to travel to MB of Chicago because that was too far for me but I would be happy to drive to Addison to inspect this vehicle for you and give you my honest opinion and drive the car, let me know.

Last edited by jrcart; 12-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM

jrcart sure seems to know what he's talking about, despite being on probation.

Assuming he's correct, that's too many red flags for me. Just be patient. I looked for the right car for 2 years before I found my beast.

You'll find one too.