RATS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Question RATS

So I live where there's a lot of old oak trees near the ocean and this year there was a bumper crop of acorns. Acorns all over the place.

This morning I opened the hood to the BMW and a friggin' rat jumped out.

There were acorn shells all over the manifold. The little ******* had eaten some of the hood lining and chewed a wire that connects the amp warning sensor.

The garage is tight and no way they can get in there. But it's full with my other cars (including the AMG) and I have to park the Bimmer outside.

The property is semi-wild and I think there's even a law about cutting oak trees. There are all kinds of animals out there at night.

So what do I do? I read that once they pee and crap in your car, that they've marked it and will keep returning.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Time for dcon desert with antifreeze chaser. Apologies to PETA types.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
I had a Rat under the hood of my Chevelle. It only chewed through my wallet though!
Seriously, set a trap if you know he/she is nesting there.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, unfortunately it's not just a he/she. There are orange trees and avocado trees and a million oak trees and acorns all over the place. Plenty of food, and so there are a million rats out there all having unwanted offspring.

Rats stay out of the house and garage, but now they've discovered the car.

Monday I'm calling the Rat Patrol.

Like Jim says, time for the heavy stuff. Screw the all rat lovers out there.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Might as well have some fun. . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQgF6f2MDz4

^^^^In action (neighbors would never know)
Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
Originally Posted by 220S
The property is semi-wild and I think there's even a law about cutting oak trees. There are all kinds of animals out there at night.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I can relate somewhat because we used to have rabbits that chewed up our internet connection every other month. If you can't cut down the tree, attach a home made lightning rod to the top of it and pray for a lightning storm
Old 10-30-2010, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by motorkas

I have a TLR on one of my bedside guns, but it's the compact 3 without the laser. Nice piece.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQgF6f2MDz4

^^^^In action (neighbors would never know)
Wow, I need one of those for my neighbors barking dog.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
I have a TLR on one of my bedside guns, but it's the compact 3 without the laser. Nice piece.
Thanks. . .Ruger? - the laser's overkill but I figured sleeping - woke up - ill take all the help I can get (the Kimber's actually my nightstand gun (it has the laser grip) - the mosquito is for wifey - I figured .22, light, laser and suppressor so she doesn't freak at the sound - should be good to go - off course they have to get through a ridgeback first

Wow, I need one of those for my neighbors barking dog.
Honestly laughed out loud at that - I know someone who uses suppressed weapons IN THEIR BASEMENT and the wife doesn't know about it

While if you look at Wayne's and I avatars, you know where we stand on the subject - I feel you - any noise at inconvenient hours is annoying - just be careful - I know more than a few individuals that would go to jail for their dogs

To the OP - sorry for making light of a serious situation (and the thread jack) - but it really would be the first thing to cross my mind. . .
Old 10-31-2010, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trouble is the little ****ers only come out late at night. I don't know why this one stuck around until I popped the hood this morning. Maybe he couldn't figure out how to get out or got stuck or something. No way I could stay up all night hoping to knock them off. I need a poison gas attack of some kind. The coyotes around here are too fat on house cats so they aren't any help.

I called a guy named the Rat Man to come out Monday and set up operations. Don't ever let rodents get near your car. They can do major damage. The Rat Man tells me he's seen cars completely stripped in the engine bay of anything that's not metal. They like hanging out under the hood at night since it keeps them warm and gives them protection from predators like owls (there are owls here too; they're not doing their job either.)

I have to clean the engine bay with Pine-Sol. They've marked the car for all their little pals.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Thanks. . .Ruger? - the laser's overkill but I figured sleeping - woke up - ill take all the help I can get (the Kimber's actually my nightstand gun (it has the laser grip) - the mosquito is for wifey - I figured .22, light, laser and suppressor so she doesn't freak at the sound - should be good to go - off course they have to get through a ridgeback first

Ruger P345 .45acp.

I like that Mosquito with the suppressor. Would be a nice piece to eliminate an annoying pest (groundhogs regularly take up residence in my barn) without making any noise.

While if you look at Wayne's and I avatars, you know where we stand on the subject - I feel you - any noise at inconvenient hours is annoying - just be careful - I know more than a few individuals that would go to jail for their dogs

My pets are part of my family. I don't advocate hurting people's pets, as they are usually not the problem - just a symptom of the problem. If someone's pet is annoying you, go to the source - the pet's owner.

For the OP - as far as the rats, I think you've hit the nail on the head - bring in the pros Moving forward, some baited traps outside might help keep them out of your car. I store my '72 Suburban in my barn during the winter and I keep a bunch of traps in there to prevent damage to my truck.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Real simple solution, just get a couple of these.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by velvet fog
Real simple solution, just get a couple of these.

+1.... it maybe a good idea to get a couple of cats on top of all the traps and gadgets the Rat Man will use just to keep them out of the territory.

Sorry to hear that bro.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m3
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Time for dcon desert with antifreeze chaser. Apologies to PETA types.
+ 1 on that!