W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Brake Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 2010 AND C240 2004
Hi Brian,
I have a GLK350 2010 and a C240 2004 and I want to do a brake flush to both of them and I was wondering if I can use the same procedure you did except the Star or the computer you show in your posting.
I just want to avoid do anything wrong or triggering any codes.
Thanks in advance.
Great signature.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:31 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Sorry for bump, but hoping that OP or maybe someone else who has done this procedure with DAS software can chime in. I am flushing and bleeding brake system after SBC replacement. SBC is passive.

Does SBC have to be active or passive for first step where bleeder system is connected and pressurized to 2 bar? It instructs to raise brake bleeder pressure to 2 bar and open bleeder screw. At this point only brake bleeder's pressure is pushing fluid, right? In my case fluid came out with pressure from brake bleeder only.

Then DAS instructs to switch off filling and bleeding equipment. Does that mean that bleeder screw has to be closed? I closed the bleeder screw at this step and pressed F3 and it showed the step to connect filling and bleeding system with pressure 0.5 bar. It doesnt say if bleeder should be open or closed, but I did close it at previous step. After pressing F3 again SBC pump starts building pressure. This is where rear right hose blew. This happened before DAS instructed to reduce pressure at filling and bleeding to 0bar and switch it off. Then wait and switch it back on.

After replacing broken hose I ran the procedure again the same way, but this time at the same step rear left brake hose blew (while bleeding rear right).

At this point I am pretty sure that I messed up by closing bleeder screw and should have had it open until DAS instructed to close it.

How far off am I?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by PancakeBimmer
Sorry for bump, but hoping that OP or maybe someone else who has done this procedure with DAS software can chime in. I am flushing and bleeding brake system after SBC replacement. SBC is passive.

Does SBC have to be active or passive for first step where bleeder system is connected and pressurized to 2 bar? It instructs to raise brake bleeder pressure to 2 bar and open bleeder screw. At this point only brake bleeder's pressure is pushing fluid, right? In my case fluid came out with pressure from brake bleeder only.

Then DAS instructs to switch off filling and bleeding equipment. Does that mean that bleeder screw has to be closed? I closed the bleeder screw at this step and pressed F3 and it showed the step to connect filling and bleeding system with pressure 0.5 bar. It doesnt say if bleeder should be open or closed, but I did close it at previous step. After pressing F3 again SBC pump starts building pressure. This is where rear right hose blew. This happened before DAS instructed to reduce pressure at filling and bleeding to 0bar and switch it off. Then wait and switch it back on.

After replacing broken hose I ran the procedure again the same way, but this time at the same step rear left brake hose blew (while bleeding rear right).

At this point I am pretty sure that I messed up by closing bleeder screw and should have had it open until DAS instructed to close it.

How far off am I?
Yes, leave the bleeder open during the entire process on the right rear. It will tell you close the bleeder and then it will tell you to open the next one.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Hi, I tried to do the bleeding procedure but in the middle of it the battery voltage showed too low and star asked for a charger to be connected... Do I connect the charger to the main battery in the trunk or to the small SBC battery under the hood? thank you so much in advance.
-G
Old 05-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by isthisit
Hi, I tried to do the bleeding procedure but in the middle of it the battery voltage showed too low and star asked for a charger to be connected... Do I connect the charger to the main battery in the trunk or to the small SBC battery under the hood? thank you so much in advance.
-G
Never connect a charger to the Aux battery.The charger needs to be placed on the battery in the trunk
The following users liked this post:
isthisit (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Good to know! thanks!
Old 09-03-2017, 11:52 PM

E320 2004 Model W211
Cool Sequence

Excellent instructions and thanks.
Is the sequence of bleeding relevant to right hand drive cars?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 120 Likes on 96 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Cliviscus
Excellent instructions and thanks.
Is the sequence of bleeding relevant to right hand drive cars?
The sequence will be the same so long as the SBC pump is located in the front right of the engine bay (sitting in the car looking out the windshield)
The following users liked this post:
Cliviscus (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:52 AM

E320 2004 Model W211
Bleeding

Thanks for your advice and is it possible to bleed the system without a pressure bleeder i.e. the old fashioned method of having someone push the pedal?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:59 AM

E320 2004 Model W211
Bleeding

Haven warn my glasses out watching your signature I should get back to the problem I have access to a Star but don't have a pressure bleeder is it possible to perform the bleed?
Old 08-27-2022, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 mercedes e500
I need to Bleed the brake system on my 2003 mercedes e500

hi, I have a 2003 mercedes e500 with SBC, I've done successfully flushed the brake system before, using Motive Power Brake Bleeder, without star or any other OBD2 scan, but this time is different, as I have changed both rear calipers, so it is sure that the air entered the system. I've been reading a lot of forums without getting to the bottom of it, of course I don't have star diagnostic, but I do have a different scan diagnostic tool that I might use for this Procedure. if there anybody out here have done this before or have any info that can help, please let me know, I will really appreciate your help... what I want to know is (1) if I can do it without the scan diagnostic, do I have to disconnect the battery, the SBC or none of that (2) if scan diagnostic requires. do I need to start the car or just put the key in the on position (3) correct me if I'm wrong. starting at the RR Bleeder>>>>RL >>>>FR>>>>FL. thanks very much in advance to everyone who's gonna read this and Trying to provide some help
Old 08-27-2022, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 722 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The use of star /Xentry diagnostic to bleed the SBC system is not so much to remove the air as it is to remove all of the old fluid. The SBC system is a recirculating system not a dead end system like standard hydraulic brakes. Yes SBC calipers are dead ends in the system but there are multiple crossovers between the various hydraulic lines. The STAR system opens and closes valves in a defined sequence so as to remove all of the old fluid as well as any air trapped in the cross connections.
If I remember correctly, the star bleed sequence is right rear, left rear, left front, right front. On the front calipers you bleed the inboard Pistons then bleed the outboard Pistons.
Perform an advanced search and you should find the technical documentation on the SBC system.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:55 PM

2003 mercedes e500
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
The use of star /Xentry diagnostic to bleed the SBC system is not so much to remove the air as it is to remove all of the old fluid. The SBC system is a recirculating system not a dead end system like standard hydraulic brakes. Yes SBC calipers are dead ends in the system but there are multiple crossovers between the various hydraulic lines. The STAR system opens and closes valves in a defined sequence so as to remove all of the old fluid as well as any air trapped in the cross connections.
If I remember correctly, the star bleed sequence is right rear, left rear, left front, right front. On the front calipers you bleed the inboard Pistons then bleed the outboard Pistons.
Perform an advanced search and you should find the technical documentation on the SBC system.
thanks much for the reply, but every time I seek help I get more confused. Ok what do you mean by saying On the front calipers bleed the inboard Pistons then bleed the outboard Pistons.? from what I understood is that you may think that there is 2 Bleeder screws on each front calipers which is not
Old 08-27-2022, 10:41 PM

Received 231 Likes on 193 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Obaid1999
thanks much for the reply, but every time I seek help I get more confused. Ok what do you mean by saying On the front calipers bleed the inboard Pistons then bleed the outboard Pistons.? from what I understood is that you may think that there is 2 Bleeder screws on each front calipers which is not
The E55 calipers do have two bleeder screws.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:03 AM

2003 mercedes e500
my car is a 2003 e500 with one Bleeder screw all around, I think the bleed sequence is RR RL then FR FL . Am i right? let me know if it is otherwise. and can it be done with out star? I have a different scan diagnostic tool that supports MB?? thank you and appreciate your response
Old 08-28-2022, 03:20 AM

Received 157 Likes on 95 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500
When doing the procedure, Star tells you in which order to open what valve. I'd recommend it, as it also does an sbc test.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:40 AM

2003 mercedes e500
Originally Posted by UncleBenz55
When doing the procedure, Star tells you in which order to open what valve. I'd recommend it, as it also does an sbc test.
oh, if I have access to star I were been ok. i wouldn't be here regard this matter and looking for solutions. the thing is I don't have access to star nor can't take it to the MB dealer due to other issue
Old 08-31-2022, 05:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just sold my '11 Porsche TurboS cab for an '03 SL55!
Brake Flush DYI

Brain S. I'm studying your post on the subject from sometime in the past. And I've used a Motive Pressure Bleeder for years (on Porsches) but never filled it with Brake fluid. I've always just periodically refilled the reservoir. Am I seeing that you put fluid in the Motive tank? The DAS Screen shots seem to indicate that it is filled with fluid too. Thanks, Mike
Old 09-18-2022, 08:19 AM

2003 mercedes e500
Brake fluid shoots out of reservoir

Originally Posted by BrianS
I decided it was about time to flush the system and figured another DIY might be helpful. The entire procedure took about 2.5 liters of fluid.

Here's the main supplies I used...STAR, Motive bleeder, and Pentosin Super Dot 4 which is the MB spec and OE part from what I can find, http://www.crpindustries.com/pentosi...uperDOT4_3.pdf , but much less at NAPA ($13 per liter) than going to the dealer for the same thing in an MB bottle. You'll also need an 8mm wrench for the rear bleeders and a 10mm for the front caliper bleeders.

First I sucked out as much of the old brake as I could from the reservoir using a 60cc syringe I got from the farm store with a silicone hose suck on the end.

Hook up the bleeder.

Pump up the pressure to about 2bar.

Go to the SBC control unit screen and select General Servicing.

Then Replace Brake Fluid...

Again..

Next screen reminds you of the bleed sequence...

At this screen make sure your bleed hose is connected and sitting in your container so when you hit F3 you can go crack the bleeder open while the SBC builds pressure. You'll hear some valves open and close and then a burst of fluid go into the drain container. After that it slows to a steady flow and the STAR screen will basically tell you what to do next.

Here's a sample screen after I finished with the left rear caliper and moved on to the front calipers. Each of the front calipers have two bleeders - one on the outside and one on the inside. Outside one's are bled first.

Almost done...moving on to last bleeder.

There will be a couple other screens after this which are self-explanatory. After those I removed the pressure bleeder and made sure the proper amount of brake fluid was in there and closed the sytem. The last thing I did was run this pressure check where there SBC tests the system to make sure it's holding the correct amount. 90bar was factory spec if I recall and mine was 88bar so I'm good to go.

Install the plastic cover over the reservoir, shut off the ignition, start the car, check for any codes, and you're done.

I'll be flushing the coolant and changing the oil tomorrow.
Hi, I know this is an old topic, but I hope you or someone out there if you see my post and can help me, I will appreciate it, ok, I have a 2003 mercedes e500 with SBC. recently I had done both rear calipers replaced, and yesterday I was intended to Bleed the system using a non star diagnostic, but it does have the hydraulic brake fluid replacement option so at the first step in the process when it says replace brake fluid, so I clicked on that and right away I heard something come out of the master cylinder I heard a squirt sound coming from the brake fluid reservoir area, so I went and looked and found that the brake fluid reservoir was actually soaked of fluid, the system was under pressure causing the fluid to shoots out of the reservoir. at this moment I went back to my scan diagnostic and canceled the process. note this happened before I connect my pressure Bleeder, all I did before I connect my scan diagnostic is i topped up the fluid and closed the cap. now The questions here are, is it normal that the system generates pressure at this step of the process? Should I have removed some brake fluid from the reservoir beforetheprocess? Is it normal in this situation and under pressure for the fluid to leak out without damaging the master cylinder or the reservoir? And here I will explain what I found out after this incident, (2) It seems to me that I have overfilled the reservoir since the fluid still at max mark after what happened and never dropped below (3) I checked the reservoir using the pressure Bleeder at 30 psi to see if is gonna hold pressure or not , but actually there is no leak, and did hold the pressure. looking forward to hearing from you guys and thank in advance
Old 09-18-2022, 12:13 PM

I'm wondering if the air in the new calipers and drained lines somehow got pressurized and that the diagnostic tool then opened a solenoid valve in the SBC module and allowed it to put pressure into the reservoir and thus expel fluid or expel air thus splashing fluid. This by the way would explain the still full reservoir as fluid from the lines would have back filled the reservoir. Another and maybe more likely possibility is that the accumulator on the SBC unit got vented back to the reservoir. In other posts, they tell us to deactivate the SBC unit via DAS before doing any brake work to depressurize the system. It doesn't sound like you did that??

I followed the above procedure this week on my '03 SL55 using Star/DAS. It went as planned EXCEPT that I never really got the gush of fluid described, and I couldn't complete each step because I was getting a message that the battery voltage was below the 11.3V required to open the solenoid valves despite the fact that DAS showed a battery voltage of between 11.7 and 11.9V. I had my 4 Amp trickle charger on it too. The lack of fluid gush suggests that the solenoids weren't opening, although I could hear valves clicking away as described above. Maybe I should have tried it with the engine running where DAS shows about 14.5 V. So, I suspect I didn't achieve a full system flush. Post flush tests for air and of the accumulator (DAS calls it a reservoir) were fine and the brakes feel as before too. Any insights here would be helpful.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:06 AM

2003 mercedes e500
Originally Posted by MK19
I'm wondering if the air in the new calipers and drained lines somehow got pressurized and that the diagnostic tool then opened a solenoid valve in the SBC module and allowed it to put pressure into the reservoir and thus expel fluid or expel air thus splashing fluid. This by the way would explain the still full reservoir as fluid from the lines would have back filled the reservoir. Another and maybe more likely possibility is that the accumulator on the SBC unit got vented back to the reservoir. In other posts, they tell us to deactivate the SBC unit via DAS before doing any brake work to depressurize the system. It doesn't sound like you did that??

I followed the above procedure this week on my '03 SL55 using Star/DAS. It went as planned EXCEPT that I never really got the gush of fluid described, and I couldn't complete each step because I was getting a message that the battery voltage was below the 11.3V required to open the solenoid valves despite the fact that DAS showed a battery voltage of between 11.7 and 11.9V. I had my 4 Amp trickle charger on it too. The lack of fluid gush suggests that the solenoids weren't opening, although I could hear valves clicking away as described above. Maybe I should have tried it with the engine running where DAS shows about 14.5 V. So, I suspect I didn't achieve a full system flush. Post flush tests for air and of the accumulator (DAS calls it a reservoir) were fine and the brakes feel as before too. Any insights here would be helpful.
thanks very much for the reply, yeah, when I did the brake work I kinda missed to deactivate the abc. that's why the system needed to be burped, huh, and I thought that I overfilled it, although I was sure that I refilled it to the proper level after the brake work. now it's been 3 days after the brake fluid splashed out of the reservoir, I've washed off and dry the reservoir, the master cylinder and the area below, and the fluid level still at max mark never dropped below, everything dry no leak plus when I connect the pressure Bleeder to it, it is holding the pressure well. now I have a bunch of question marks in my head. (1) Is there any possibility that any of these components may have been damaged by what happened or am I safe? (2) Did I make a mistake that I didn't connect the pressure Bleeder to the reservoir first? (3) during the bleeding process, do I have to apply the E-brake or keep em released? because last time the E-brake was engaged since i raised the car to do the brake calipers replacement. note: every time I open the door I hear a sound from the sbc Like rinsing mouth sound, only once Every time the system wakes up for one second unlike the normal buzzing noise that comes from the sbc for 10 to 15 seconds to pressures the brake pedal. any suggestions will be appreciated
Old 09-19-2022, 12:42 PM

I'm not certain about these answers but.
1. not sure about any damage, but if so, you should get fault codes very quickly. I's drive very carefully at first and check for codes often.
2. Yes, per the above DYI, you should have had the bleeder connected.........I think it would have captured the burped fluid. In my case, I had also replaced my front pads and rotors, so the first thing I did was reactivate SBC. For that I didn't have the bleeder attached.
3. the sound you are hearing is the pump in the SBC module trying to build pressure in the accumulator. I'm guessing that theres so much air in there that it can't correctly build pressure. I'd just put the pressure bleeder on and open one or more of the bleed nipples and force some fluid through there. I believe that I saw something on DAS that said not to run a test on the accumulator more than 5 times in some time period, implying that the pump might not be able to handle it. So don't kick it on too frequently.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:40 PM

2003 mercedes e500
Originally Posted by MK19
I'm not certain about these answers but.
1. not sure about any damage, but if so, you should get fault codes very quickly. I's drive very carefully at first and check for codes often.
2. Yes, per the above DYI, you should have had the bleeder connected.........I think it would have captured the burped fluid. In my case, I had also replaced my front pads and rotors, so the first thing I did was reactivate SBC. For that I didn't have the bleeder attached.
3. the sound you are hearing is the pump in the SBC module trying to build pressure in the accumulator. I'm guessing that theres so much air in there that it can't correctly build pressure. I'd just put the pressure bleeder on and open one or more of the bleed nipples and force some fluid through there. I believe that I saw something on DAS that said not to run a test on the accumulator more than 5 times in some time period, implying that the pump might not be able to handle it. So don't kick it on too frequently.
Thank you for the info. Believe me in most cases, the opinions of others are useful. For example, you may have a correct opinion on this or that issue, but you are confused and not confident of it, but when you get the same opinion from another person, it enhances your confidence and strengthens your decision.... so you mean doing so in order to let air out, without connecting the scan diagnostic? then after that I do the proper bleeding using the pressure Bleeder and the scan diagnostic??
Old 09-19-2022, 05:54 PM

Yes, the I believe that deactivation/reactivation of the SBC is related to doing brake repairs that would be carried out is unrelated to the Bleeding. So, I treated it that way and did the brake work and then reactivated it before going on to bleeding. However, my repair work did not involver opening the system like yours did. But since yours has now burped, you won't likely get another burp........but to be safe, I'd have the bleeder attached.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:15 AM

Received 157 Likes on 95 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500
Depending on what work has been done you need to choose the correct bleeding procedure on DAS

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Brake Fluid Change