Sponsored by:

Will spray painting a aftermarket HE harm any cooling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Gotcha! I mistakenly thought that you had it installed already, then decided to repaint.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cal1
Are most of the aftermarket HEs all aluminum? I could anodize one black or clear just for kicks. I would not want to risk a new one though. At least not until I know how the current in the tank will flow through the part. It would be possible to burn one up in the tank if it isn't handled right.

If someone has an old useless HE or some of the fin material, I would be happy to drop it in one of our anodize tanks and report back to everyone.

I would be interested to know if anyone has tried black anodizing a H/E yet, and to hear any results....

The E55 is the ultimate "sleeper" IMHO, so being able to add an aftermarket H/E that doesn't call attention to itself would be ideal.

-G
Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
You can use the ceramic heat dissipating paint that was suggested above, or if you want to spend a little extra money you can find a powder coating shop that does a thermal dispersant coat, which is a special type of powder coat that actually improves the heat transfer properties of the aluminum core.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG, 72' Toyota Carina, 63' Ford F100, 72' Mercedes 250c, 15' Harley Davidson Softail
Originally Posted by jrcart
You might run into some problems with the clear coat finish, most clear coats are urethane based, urethane is an olyfin and olyfins do not disapate heat well, they retain heat. For some reason black coatings disipate heat better than any other color. As you may or may not know I own a trucking company, all of our trucks have big turbos on them. When we are detailing our trucks and they are in for maintanance we spray the product below onto chipped up radiators and intercoolers and it works great. It is a high heat, heat disapating ceramic aerosol spray paint, about $10.00 a can available in many colors including silver. Ceramic disaptes heat and that is what you need for a radiator or intercooler.

http://www.kpg-industrial.com/produc..._with_ceramic/
+1 you beat me too it. I used the same stuff when I painted the FMIC of my STi, no issues with it.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks!

My only interest in an anodizing was that it is adds virtually no thickness to the original part and is extremely durable....a plus for something that is located so close to the ground and debris.

A powdercoating product (even one that claims to be a thermal dispersant) seems like it would go on quite a bit thicker, which might affect airflow through the fin areas slightly.

A mist-coat of spray paint would probably do the trick but again, I was worried about durability and the need for constant touch-ups from debris....

-G
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Silverado, 03 H2, 66 Nova SS, 03 E55
I've also heard that bare aluminum can be it's own worst enemy for heat dissipation. Over time it can develop an oxide coating that impares it's avibilty to displace the heat from the coolant.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silvia
Howdy Everybody

Hello everyone!
Home Depot spray paint is definitely a bad idea as almost all of the products they carry are architectural. These should never be used on a high temp performance part. "High Performance" or "Industrial" products can be bought at a good paint store that services industrial contractors for quite a bit less. rock on guys...