SPEEDRIVEN | Pulling Back The Curtain, Part 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Speedriven
Truthfully, I posted on the W211 forum because it was the most active, and I wanted to reach as many people as possible. If the mods want to move it, that's fine with me.

Regarding Marcin going MIA, that is why we initially started talking about having me come on board. Marcin was, for many months, a 1-man-show.

Speaking from experience at several firms and dealerships, even with a dedicated secretary, an office staff, multiple salespeople, etc., sometimes people fall through the cracks and messages get missed. Marcin was in a position where he physically couldn't develop the products, make the products, do the installs, scan the forums, answer emails, take calls, and make calls - there simply were not enough hours in the day.

That said, since I've come on board we have a new phone system in place, proper contact management, an office manager to handle the admin stuff (bookkeeping, purchasing, etc.), and shop staff to do installs and fab so Marcin can focus more on R&D and tech support.

It's a work in progress, but Marcin and I share the same goals. SO, yes - Speedriven was very difficult to get a hold of for a while. I'm here to make that easier.
Do you guys have any plans for the W211 platform? How about resolving the torque management that seems to be holding back our cars on the shift. I have several logs that show a 10% gradual decrease in throttle position, starting from 5800 - redline. Not to mention that the shifts alone could yield some nice gains.

The only other TCU out on the marker right now is Renntech. I personally know of 3 people that have issues with the 2-3 shift, but when it works it feels very good. Having a comparable product would definitely be something others haven't successfully achieved or yet proven. When I say proven, actual before and after results at the track on the same day.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Do you guys have any plans for the W211 platform? How about resolving the torque management that seems to be holding back our cars on the shift. I have several logs that show a 10% gradual decrease in throttle position, starting from 5800 - redline. Not to mention that the shifts alone could yield some nice gains.

The only other TCU out on the marker right now is Renntech. I personally know of 3 people that have issues with the 2-3 shift, but when it works it feels very good. Having a comparable product would definitely be something others haven't successfully achieved or yet proven. When I say proven, actual before and after results at the track on the same day.
We've got software for the 63 ready to go, but need to put down some solid numbers. VBox in hand (thanks, Neil!) and we'll be getting numbers ASAP.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
We've got software for the 63 ready to go, but need to put down some solid numbers. VBox in hand (thanks, Neil!) and we'll be getting numbers ASAP.

How about for the 55's?
Old 11-06-2010, 03:57 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
How about for the 55's?
We do have TCU files that we have been working on for the E55k. Only issue is I currently do not have a high HP 55k car at my disposal to program and data log long term. I have installed the files on several stock cars. Tested part throttle drivability and checked long term test adaptations on trans shifts and fill times for clutches. I'm seeing what I want to see there. But without hard data and being able to check shift adaptations on modified cars we don't have a tested product we can release.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Who couldn't find there crystal ***** to speak up?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dsmed
We do have TCU files that we have been working on for the E55k. Only issue is I currently do not have a high HP 55k car at my disposal to program and data log long term. I have installed the files on several stock cars. Tested part throttle drivability and checked long term test adaptations on trans shifts and fill times for clutches. I'm seeing what I want to see there. But without hard data and being able to check shift adaptations on modified cars we don't have a tested product we can release.
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a test mule but what kind of guarantee are you offering for that service? If something should fail due to something going wrong in the test phase would your company be fully responsible? I'm sure if this is the case finding someone will be easy.

What's considered highly modded? A stage 3 and above?

What kind of changes should one expect to see once your product is complete - faster shifts and quicker ET's? Will this TCU tune place nice with other tunes or will they conflict with each other like Renntechs? At least that's what they claim.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Speedriven
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a test mule but what kind of guarantee are you offering for that service? If something should fail due to something going wrong in the test phase would your company be fully responsible? I'm sure if this is the case finding someone will be easy.

What's considered highly modded? A stage 3 and above?

What kind of changes should one expect to see once your product is complete - faster shifts and quicker ET's? Will this TCU tune place nice with other tunes or will they conflict with each other like Renntechs? At least that's what they claim.
These are exactly the questions we're working on answering in-house before we put out any formal offers. As for playing nice with other tunes, Marcin's TCUs always have, so there's no reason to believe this will be any different.

That said, why would a TCU file (anyone's) conflict with an ECU file?
Old 11-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
Who couldn't find there crystal ***** to speak up?
I don't think it's like that. In general, the guys I've spoken to about different builds are stand-up guys, they just don't know their rights. I don't know if the answer is some kind of "support group" or what the answer is, but I do think the community needs to be more open about the negative things, in general, as well as the positive things.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
These are exactly the questions we're working on answering in-house before we put out any formal offers. As for playing nice with other tunes, Marcin's TCUs always have, so there's no reason to believe this will be any different.

That said, why would a TCU file (anyone's) conflict with an ECU file?
Ask Renntech.....
Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Ask Renntech.....
I wouldn't even know who to ask - most of the guys I used to talk to I either haven't spoken to in over a year or they aren't even there anymore.

Maybe start a new TCU thread (or post on this Speedriven TCU thread) and see if anyone chimes in? Regardless, we're getting off-topic and this thread isn't really the place to talk about that stuff, IMO.

Last edited by Speedriven1; 11-06-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
I wouldn't even know who to ask - most of the guys I used to talk to I either haven't spoken to in over a year or they aren't even there anymore.

Maybe start a new TCU thread (or post on this Speedriven TCU thread) and see if anyone chimes in? Regardless, we're getting off-topic and this thread isn't really the place to talk about that stuff, IMO.
I understand that I was getting off topic, but IMO I think this whole thread is off topic. I just don't quite understand the purpose of your thread being placed in this section of the forum since you don't offer anything for our platform.

BTW... I have nothing against your company except for the fact your thread seems somewhat arrogant considering where it's posted.

Last edited by bassn_07; 11-07-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
A wolf in sheep's clothing

He just said ask Renntech, so how would you not know who to ask? I have the Renntech TCU and yes it's been told to me not to run any other ECU tune with their TCU.

I am curious what is this thread for since you said Alan was going off Topic? Let me add some movie references and say "you want the truth, you can't handle the truth" because the truth is this thread is pointless. You're bashing other tuners/shops to make yourself look good. You contradict yourself multiple times and it's more evident that you have no clue what your point is by rambling. If you are truly all about the costumer then why are you complaining about them calling you? Is it because you gain no benefit financially from it directly?

The truth is most people, this is going out on a limb but I think I am safe to assume, who buy a 40k plus car knows how to take car of themselves. I have had no issues with shops doing work on my car and no confusions. I got what was offered for the amount that originally was agreed upon. I think if someone gets a cheeseburger with pickles when they ordered without pickles knows how to be an adult and speak up. If they are dropping huge money and they are too much of a re tard to speak up and allow a shop to screw them over then that's their problem.

I'm simply saying don't come into a forum where you offer nothing, preach wisdom to people when you yourself clearly are not following it, and duck questions. You sound like you are only trying to play off of peoples troubles to gain from it. You posted in another recent thread that you had a killer chiller on a shelf for months now, or a tuner box when you don't provide tunes, is this what we should expect from your company? I'm just a consumer asking
Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
He just said ask Renntech, so how would you not know who to ask? I have the Renntech TCU and yes it's been told to me not to run any other ECU tune with their TCU.

I am curious what is this thread for since you said Alan was going off Topic? Let me add some movie references and say "you want the truth, you can't handle the truth" because the truth is this thread is pointless. You're bashing other tuners/shops to make yourself look good. You contradict yourself multiple times and it's more evident that you have no clue what your point is by rambling. If you are truly all about the costumer then why are you complaining about them calling you? Is it because you gain no benefit financially from it directly?

The truth is most people, this is going out on a limb but I think I am safe to assume, who buy a 40k plus car knows how to take car of themselves. I have had no issues with shops doing work on my car and no confusions. I got what was offered for the amount that originally was agreed upon. I think if someone gets a cheeseburger with pickles when they ordered without pickles knows how to be an adult and speak up. If they are dropping huge money and they are too much of a re tard to speak up and allow a shop to screw them over then that's their problem.

I'm simply saying don't come into a forum where you offer nothing, preach wisdom to people when you yourself clearly are not following it, and duck questions. You sound like you are only trying to play off of peoples troubles to gain from it. You posted in another recent thread that you had a killer chiller on a shelf for months now, or a tuner box when you don't provide tunes, is this what we should expect from your company? I'm just a consumer asking
Well said! And yes, I agree, I didn't understand the flashloader box thread when they don't even offer a tune for our platform. Didn't make much sense to me, much like this thread.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I understand that I was getting off topic, but IMO I think this whole thread is off topic. I just don't quite understand the purpose of your thread being placed in this section of the forum since you don't offer anything for our platform.

BTW... I have nothing against your company except for the fact your thread seems somewhat arrogant considering where it's posted.
The thread does seem like it was placed in a wrong section of the forum, which makes it a little off topic when it comes to E55 related material to begin with; it is not surprising then that it spirals into other off topic topics.

To get back on topic, I think a company's customer service is as important as having a quality product if not more. It is what defines the company as a trust worthy entity and is what builds a great reputation. Those companies which abide by that philosophy are usually the ones that last the longest in this industry.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 11-07-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

Speedriven

You make a couple of points here - and I think they're valid, so I'll try to answer them all.

1. he said "Ask RENNtech." I used to work at RENNtech and used to hang out with Korey, Pierre, Dusty, and a few of the other guys. What I meant by my comment of "I wouldn't know who to ask." is just that: I wouldn't know who to ask - other than to just call and talk to a sales guy.

2. I don't think I'm here bashing any other shops. In one of my other posts in this thread, I mentioned that coming online and complaining was one way a client could reach out their shop if they felt their issues and concerns weren't being addressed. I proposed this as a way to get things SOLVED, not to bash people - check this post (https://mbworld.org/forums/4339278-post23.html) and I think that's clear.

3. You make a good point about posting in a forum that we don't offer a lot of product for (the W211, for those of you coming in off the "new posts" page) but we do offer the programmers and 63 software, as well as 550 and 350 software that applies to the W211 and W212. Conceding your point, however, you're right that this whole thread is off-topic, considering its location, and my comment about the TCU questions getting off-topic was a bit out of line.

You're right, and I apologize.

4. I highlighted (in bold, up there) a part of your thread that I cannot disagree with more strongly. As I said before (here, in post 33: https://mbworld.org/forums/4339660-post33.html) this isn't a question of anyone not being smart enough to respond (or, as you put it, being "too much of a re tard"), it is about people not knowing what their rights as consumers are.

Example: if there is a dispute on your build and you want to come collect your car, can the shop in question put a lien on your car and prevent you from picking it up?

The answer changes from state to state and based upon the terms of the build contract. MOST people (I'd venture to bet you were one of them - I know I am!) wouldn't know the specific laws in each state, or which state's laws govern such matters if a car is shipped from one state to another (which is very common in this industry).

If a given customer came on the boards and said "Hey, shop 'x' is holding my car, I'm p***ed!", someone would be able to chime in and explain that holding the car in case of a dispute might be common in that state ... or, conversely, someone might chime in and say that holding the car is totally illegal, and that the customer should draft a letter explaining the statutes involved and go get the car immediately. In both cases, it would give everyone involved more useful information and allow cooler heads to prevail in what can, otherwise, be a very emotional situation.

5. not sure where you got that Speedriven doesn't offer tunes? I assume this is just a matter of bad (or out-of-date) intel, and will concede that - if that had been the case - this whole thread would look a lot sketchier.

SO, just to be clear: we offer tunes (http://www.speedriven.com/products_parts.html)

Last edited by Speedriven1; 11-07-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by 930chas
Well said! And yes, I agree, I didn't understand the flashloader box thread when they don't even offer a tune for our platform. Didn't make much sense to me, much like this thread.
As above: W211 tunes are available from Speedriven for the E63AMG, the E550, and the E350.

We're also working on a CDI tune for the 320, but that's still a bit far off, at the moment, and is not included on our site.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
The thread does seem like it was placed in a wrong section of the forum, which makes it a little off topic when it comes to E55 related material to begin with; it is not surprising then that it spirals into other off topic topics.

To get back on topic, I think a company's customer service is as important as having a quality product if not more. It is what defines the company as a trust worthy entity and is what builds a great reputation. Those companies that up-hold that philosophy are usually the ones that end-up lasting the longest.
You're right about this being in the wrong section. I already conceded that point and (I thought) made clear that I'd be OK with the tread being moved.

That said, I couldn't agree more with what you're saying about customer service, in the end, being what usually raises one company above another and sees it through year after year ... but it's not an obvious idea, to some people. Consider that GM spent the 50's and 60's building some of the most desirable cars ever made, then - after 20+ years of getting it absolutely right - totally dropped the ball in the 1970's, sending out sub-par product and marketing it to consumers who (quite frankly) didn't know any better. Those who were more informed knew better, and walked out of Cadillacs and Buicks and in to Mercedes (back on topic! ) and BMWs - establishing the foundation for the Germans' reputation of automotive quality in the US.

SO - back to the original idea: maybe the topic of this thread (more informed consumers) doesn't belong in the W211 thread, but since that seemed to be the most active I figured that's where the most good could be done.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Speedriven
I've already conceded your point about the thread being in the wrong forum in my first response, but I wanted to specifically address the comment (in bold) from the above paragraph.

To answer your question: Yes, exactly! Beyond not standing to gain anything from having the same conversation 3-4 times a week about different builds at different shops on different platforms, these situations make it harder for EVERYONE in this business (including me) to do business. Everyone that gets burned is less likely to tune another car, and every build that ends up getting half-built or pulled from a given shop early has the potential to turn into a Frankencar that makes everyone who touched it look bad.

To be totally clear, I advocate a well-informed consumer because I think said consumers will help weed out some of the BS in this business - 90% of which, I think, could be totally solved simply by knowing what your rights are as a consumer ... now, through the magic of the internet, I will be able to put my $0.02 out into the world for all to see, allowing me to refer people to this thread for the information I would otherwise have to spend 30-40 min. on the phone trying to convince them of. This saves me time on the phone, and allows me to use my time more profitably - something I'm sure many AMG owners can appreciate and understand.

Last edited by Speedriven1; 11-07-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Had to add some sarcasm.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
You're right about this being in the wrong section. I already conceded that point and (I thought) made clear that I'd be OK with the tread being moved.

That said, I couldn't agree more with what you're saying about customer service, in the end, being what usually raises one company above another and sees it through year after year ... but it's not an obvious idea, to some people. Consider that GM spent the 50's and 60's building some of the most desirable cars ever made, then - after 20+ years of getting it absolutely right - totally dropped the ball in the 1970's, sending out sub-par product and marketing it to consumers who (quite frankly) didn't know any better. Those who were more informed knew better, and walked out of Cadillacs and Buicks and in to Mercedes (back on topic! ) and BMWs - establishing the foundation for the Germans' reputation of automotive quality in the US.

SO - back to the original idea: maybe the topic of this thread (more informed consumers) doesn't belong in the W211 thread, but since that seemed to be the most active I figured that's where the most good could be done.
Side note, which may also be off topic.... there is a separate section for the W211 and W212 non-AMG products: E320, E350, E500, E550, etc.... I wasn't sure if you knew this since you commented about the E350 and E550 above

Now back on topic..... it'd be nice if someone can elaborate on the laws in some of the key states: California, Chicago, Texas, Florida, New York, etc....
Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Now back on topic..... it'd be nice if someone can elaborate on the laws in some of the key states: California, Chicago, Texas, Florida, New York, etc.
I'm working on that, starting with Florida (where I'm from and went to school and have lots of lawyer buddies) and Illinois (where I am now and have a few lawyer buddies). Texas next, I think.

Also: regarding mention of the 350 and 550 along with the E63 AMG, I just wanted to address the claim that Speedriven doesn't offer tunes by showing that Speedriven offers several tunes. Good point about the other W211 forum, though, and I fully intend to post more information there - thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 PM

audi>mercedes-benz

Now thats a rant lol
Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Joe, Why are you not working for Switzer......a falling out? They seem to be going at 110% these days. Give me the honest reason............I have connections.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by Rock
Joe, Why are you not working for Switzer......a falling out? They seem to be going at 110% these days. Give me the honest reason............I have connections.
They are going 110% these days, and have been for some time. With a 7 year old in Chicago who I didn't get to see often enough and no equity stake in the business to justify the effort/stress/acid reflux of growing that shop and missing him growing up, I just wasn't prepared to give Tym 110%.

Tym and I remain close, though, and I'll still promoting Tym's products as a Switzer dealer at Speedriven.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I've spoken with Marcin several times and he has been busy with the v12TT projects for some sustomers on the SL boards...

This said I agree with Alan, I am interested in a TCU as well for my SL55...I know it's something Marcin was thinking about when we talked. I may be able to help out with this...you can email me at sunirghosal@hotmail.com

I think the 55K platform is a great place for Speedriven to focus on, there are a ton of cars, lots of enthusiasts, and many mods out there so the strong following is there for this platform.

Looking forward to hearing more about the progress...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Supra
Speaking of customer service...can someone please respond to my vmail's or email?

Email and calls are from Jason Lord

I sent files over a week ago, so we could be sure my ECU took the tune from the flash loader...since it didn't seem to work out the first time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SPEEDRIVEN | Pulling Back The Curtain, Part 1