W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-17-2015, 07:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Fuel leak issues - some investigation & DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
Tore into my filter assembly today. What I thought was the fuel pressure sensor on top of the filter assembly is not a fuel pressure sensor. It is a tank vapor pressure sensor.

This car has a fuel pressure sensor somewhere. Does anyone know where it is located??

G
Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
Originally Posted by Gadget
Tore into my filter assembly today. What I thought was the fuel pressure sensor on top of the filter assembly is not a fuel pressure sensor. It is a tank vapor pressure sensor.

This car has a fuel pressure sensor somewhere. Does anyone know where it is located??

G
Definetly a good thread, i really need to look into this coz my car has about 102K miles on it. No idea if the filter assembly has or hasnt been changed.

Did you find out where the fuel pressure sensor is at? Also how long did it take for you to do this job?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
Job is easy and straight forward, but you'll need to access BOTH sides to remove the filter assembly (octopus). It goes across the tank and into the pumps on the other side.
Some points of note:
  • You will need large filter pliers or MB Service tool to remove the large plastic nuts.
  • Purchase two new plastic nuts as they will probably get boogered-up and are cheap.
  • Get two new green seals. (the old ones are black, so must be updated).
  • There are multiple styles of connectors, depending upon model year, going into the pumps. One uses a white fitting with a small C-clip to hold it, the other one is black and uses an integrated lock that you must push-in to release the fitting.
  • As stated, the fuel outlet on the filter assembly is VERY brittle. If you are replacing, no big deal. If you are not, replace it anyway. The MB-stated service interval is WAY too long. Take it apart and see how nasty it is.
  • Double check the lines running over to the pump side. It is easy to accidentally crimp them, thus cutting your fuel source.
  • Double-check the fuel-pickup strainers on your fuel-pump side. One of my cars had it gummed-up with something. Take out and use carb cleaner, etc. or consider another cash contribution to the stealership for a replacement.
  • Consider replacing short fuel hose coming out of filter. It's cheap and easy to get to. Do not re-use clamps and be sure to use fuel-hose clamps, not worm clamps.

Hope this helps. Good peace-of-mind project. If you're not getting proper fuel to the engine (the margin of error decreases when you are asking for more power out of it than stock) all other mods are in vane.

Happy cursing.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Does the pump and sender assemblies fit into the bottom of the tank in some sort of containment, or do just touch the bottom of the tank via the spring loading.
Is it possible for the units to be flexed back and forth depending on the acceleration and deceleration of the car caused by the gas movement from back to front when running in the 1/4 to 3/4 range (normal)?
Old 07-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
Originally Posted by MindBend
Job is easy and straight forward, but you'll need to access BOTH sides to remove the filter assembly (octopus). It goes across the tank and into the pumps on the other side.
Some points of note:
  • You will need large filter pliers or MB Service tool to remove the large plastic nuts.
  • Purchase two new plastic nuts as they will probably get boogered-up and are cheap.
  • Get two new green seals. (the old ones are black, so must be updated).
  • There are multiple styles of connectors, depending upon model year, going into the pumps. One uses a white fitting with a small C-clip to hold it, the other one is black and uses an integrated lock that you must push-in to release the fitting.
  • As stated, the fuel outlet on the filter assembly is VERY brittle. If you are replacing, no big deal. If you are not, replace it anyway. The MB-stated service interval is WAY too long. Take it apart and see how nasty it is.
  • Double check the lines running over to the pump side. It is easy to accidentally crimp them, thus cutting your fuel source.
  • Double-check the fuel-pickup strainers on your fuel-pump side. One of my cars had it gummed-up with something. Take out and use carb cleaner, etc. or consider another cash contribution to the stealership for a replacement.
  • Consider replacing short fuel hose coming out of filter. It's cheap and easy to get to. Do not re-use clamps and be sure to use fuel-hose clamps, not worm clamps.

Hope this helps. Good peace-of-mind project. If you're not getting proper fuel to the engine (the margin of error decreases when you are asking for more power out of it than stock) all other mods are in vane.

Happy cursing.
Awesome, thanks!

Will do this ASAP!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 AM

'05 E55
Critter,
Pumps are in a plastic holder and are held down, and in place with two spring-loaded rods extending down from the top. It's not going anywhere when installed in the tank.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Can anyone comment on whether the fuel tank vent valve is located on or around this assembly, or in a different part of the tank?

Or whether our cars have one at all...?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 PM

E55 AMG, 04STI, 07GTI, 05 HAYABUSA, 05 GSX1000
Rear passenger side fender. Towards the bumper, just take the fender liner off. You cant miss it.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320 Coupe, 1979 500SLC, 2005 E55 - Sold
Ok, so my car was working fine but was pooling some fuel around the DS pump. I found out that the fuel sender was leaking from a cracked plastic nipple. So I ordered a new sender from MB Atl. I followed all the instructions and replaced the fuel sender. Now the car wont start...double checked all the connections on the passenger side pump and all looks good. Where is the 4th hose supposed to sit? does it just sit on the PS of the tank? Any advise would be helpful. I would think the fuel pump relay or CPS but the car was working fine till I opened things up!
Attached Thumbnails Fuel leak issues - some investigation & DIY-e55-fuel.jpg  

Last edited by spsinha; 11-12-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:33 PM

[*]There are multiple styles of connectors, depending upon model year, going into the pumps. One uses a white fitting with a small C-clip to hold it, the other one is black and uses an integrated lock that you must push-in to release the fitting.

Mine has white fitting's as shown in the picture above. One of the small white plastic c-clips was missing. Anyone know the part number? Can't seem to locate it on EPC.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
The hoses have a "click" lock .. when you push the hoses together they lock and there is a red or black? (can't remember the color) locking tab. If the hoses aren't push locked together, they will leak under pressure and the car will not start. That is what happened to me at least.

Originally Posted by spsinha
Ok, so my car was working fine but was pooling some fuel around the DS pump. I found out that the fuel sender was leaking from a cracked plastic nipple. So I ordered a new sender from MB Atl. I followed all the instructions and replaced the fuel sender. Now the car wont start...double checked all the connections on the passenger side pump and all looks good. Where is the 4th hose supposed to sit? does it just sit on the PS of the tank? Any advise would be helpful. I would think the fuel pump relay or CPS but the car was working fine till I opened things up!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:40 PM

Ok, Im looking for the part numbers for the following part numbers:

1. the original clamp that goes on the fuel line
2. the small white c-clip that attaches the hose from fuel sender to the pump on the passenger side
Attached Thumbnails Fuel leak issues - some investigation & DIY-img_2473.jpg   Fuel leak issues - some investigation & DIY-2014-09-20-12.14.11.jpg  
Old 11-13-2014, 08:23 PM

Ok, got the correct metal hose clamp. No one has the part number for the little white clips?
Old 11-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Ok, so Ive checked both fuel pump relays and fuses by the air tank. All seem to be working as I swapped the relay to the other socket and the passenger side pump still works. No luck on the new DS sender unit. Could the unit be faulty? Anyone know which wires I can test on the harness to the sender to see if it has power?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Originally Posted by Gadget
I replaced my pump and filter assembly last weekend in my 2006 E55.

VDO was on the external parts.

There are some slight differences between my car and the pictures in this thread. The pumps look different with different electrical connectors and the fuel line connections to the top of the pumps is also different. The rest loose pretty much the same.

The top part of the filter assembly in the picture above is not the pump cap. That is a fuel pressure sensor assembly.

Just FYI- I would double check those integrity of those worm clamps on that external fuel line. Unless those are specific for fuel injection hose you will likely have a leak form the hose from uneven clamp pressure. The OEM style clamps are the way to go as they are even pressure with constant spring tension.

G
For the life of me I can not understand how those duel pumps are going to come out of that hole. And why is it that some pictures I have researched have a pump on each side and some has both pumps together?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Now its even better. Just called Mercedes and am told the system has been redesigned and I can not just change the filter/sender assembly...both sides have to be done. Dang....all I want for Christmas is a new fuel filter Santa !!!! LOL
Old 12-23-2014, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Now its even better. Just called Mercedes and am told the system has been redesigned and I can not just change the filter/sender assembly...both sides have to be done. Dang....all I want for Christmas is a new fuel filter Santa !!!! LOL
I don't think that's really news....

Have them give you the MBZ part numbers for the "new" parts and I think you'll find they match the numbers that have been posted on these threads for the last couple of years..... A total of 4 part number changes have occurred that I'm aware of.

-G
Old 05-16-2016, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
So I know that Mercedes is now fixing this issue free of charge in many cases. However, they are not fixing all vehicles. My E320 CDI is one of those that is not on this campaign. Also after replacement, I wonder if the new ones will leak in the future? Unless they change the plastic type, it will likely leak again. I decided to fix my E320's sender in the following thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ml#post6803992.

I did this on my fuel pump side before but only on the outside and it is still holding up. I think having the coating on the inside also will help even more. Hope this helps someone out. $15 fix is not bad for this issue. I am sure this can be applied to BMWs also. The pumps/senders are very similar in design.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:50 AM

2010 E63 amg
Fuel leaking

I have a 2010 E 63 amg.. My car is doing the same thing ...there is a puddle of gas under the seat and the fuel pump is cracked.. The recall is only up to 2009and my car is 2010 I really need help the car is very unsafe to drive .. Mercedes Benz of lavegas has had system problems for the pass few days so I can't get a answer about if the recall will cover my car or not.. Please give me any advice u can seeing that the last post was in 2015
Old 07-30-2018, 01:57 AM

CL600 E55 / SL500
Fuel Leak

My 05 E55 had a fuel scent in the cabin that would not subside. I received a MBZ notice of a fuel defect. I took it to MB dealership and they fixed it free of charge. Never a problem thereafter.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:31 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Mercedes Binns
I have a 2010 E 63 amg.. My car is doing the same thing ...there is a puddle of gas under the seat and the fuel pump is cracked.. The recall is only up to 2009and my car is 2010 I really need help the car is very unsafe to drive .. Mercedes Benz of lavegas has had system problems for the pass few days so I can't get a answer about if the recall will cover my car or not.. Please give me any advice u can seeing that the last post was in 2015
Is it a w211 chassis? I thought 2009 was the last year but I know there was a year difference in some markets, our last year was 2008 here. If it is a w211 I am sure they would fix it but you would have to plead your case. w212 I doubt they will help you at all.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:54 AM

2010 E63 amg
Originally Posted by tw2
Is it a w211 chassis? I thought 2009 was the last year but I know there was a year difference in some markets, our last year was 2008 here. If it is a w211 I am sure they would fix it but you would have to plead your case. w212 I doubt they will help you at all.

Being that my car is a w212 I may have to cover these expensive out of pocket ? Smh I don't see why they would fix all E CLASSES considering that they all have the same problem this is very unfortunate for me. I purchased it less than 4 months ago and the gas is pouring out everywhere this is very unsafe to drive I have children that don't ride in the car due to the Strong gas smell.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:39 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Mercedes Binns
Being that my car is a w212 I may have to cover these expensive out of pocket ? Smh I don't see why they would fix all E CLASSES considering that they all have the same problem this is very unfortunate for me. I purchased it less than 4 months ago and the gas is pouring out everywhere this is very unsafe to drive I have children that don't ride in the car due to the Strong gas smell.
I am not familiar with the fuel setup on the w212 but if it is somewhat similar it should be relatively easy to diagnose where the leak is coming from. Then order replacement parts if you can DIY otherwise no other option but to take it to a shop or the dealer.