W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

License Plates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010 | 04:08 AM

2005 E55 AMG
License Plates

I have several problems and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

The first and most important question. My car does not feel complete without the plates I want, It feels as if I were driving around without a face on my car.

I know that the plate name I want (Imogen)is already taken and I am 99.9% sure that the DMV will not supply with the proper information to go about contacting the owner to possibly purchase the plates off him/her because If I'm not mistaken It's illegal to give out that information unless pertaining to a crime.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone on the forums In california may by some miracle know the person who has these plates but more likely know some way or have any idea how I might go about contacting this person?

Second, I'm not sure if anyone else has had these problems but on the back of the w211 has anyone had any problems getting their screws all the way in?

My only guess is that I need some kind of backing along with the license plate itself because otherwise the screws will only go about halfway and eventually get shaken out.

I've had to take my back plate off because of this and have tried several different sizes & types of screws.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2010 | 08:41 AM

Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by Hyperlite

Second, I'm not sure if anyone else has had these problems but on the back of the w211 has anyone had any problems getting their screws all the way in?

My only guess is that I need some kind of backing along with the license plate itself because otherwise the screws will only go about halfway and eventually get shaken out.

I've had to take my back plate off because of this and have tried several different sizes & types of screws.

Thanks
I was going to make a joke that you must have a screw loose...haha.

My rear plate has a black frame/bracket, which seems to fit the bill perfectly.
Old 11-16-2010 | 12:31 PM

E55 AMG
You need the plastic push in pieces to retain the screws if they aren't already in there.

they look like this:

You can buy kits from eBay where you get 4x screws and 4x retainers.

Failing that you can use a license plate holder.
Old 11-16-2010 | 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I have never seen those cheap plastic inserts on a MB. They should have a metal threaded sleve that the screw goes in. My guess is you have not found the proper size yet.
Old 11-16-2010 | 12:59 PM

E55 AMG
The metal threaded insert is designed for a standard screw, not the self tapping screws most people use.

So if you have tried to insert self tappers, you will have damaged the fine machine thread of the OEM solution.

In reality, the self tapping screws are a better solution as they cut their own thread, machine screws do work loose with vibration unless you loctite them.
the MB OEM solution although more technical, is actually not as good a solution.

In terms of 'cheap' the plastic inserts are OEM issue in BMW, Porsche etc, they are simply a good design, cheap is not a factor considered in applicability here.
Old 11-16-2010 | 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by elucidate
The metal threaded insert is designed for a standard screw, not the self tapping screws most people use.

So if you have tried to insert self tappers, you will have damaged the fine machine thread of the OEM solution.

In reality, the self tapping screws are a better solution as they cut their own thread, machine screws do work loose with vibration unless you loctite them.
the MB OEM solution although more technical, is actually not as good a solution.

In terms of 'cheap' the plastic inserts are OEM issue in BMW, Porsche etc, they are simply a good design, cheap is not a factor considered in applicability here.
That's why we drive MBs and not BMWs!
Old 11-16-2010 | 07:44 PM

2005 E55 AMG
I guess I'll keep looking, anyone have anything on my other question?