W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member former SVT fanatic

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, 06 Deuce, 04 IronHorse Texas Chopper
Question New Member former SVT fanatic

All, New to the site as a member. Long story short, former SVT nut. Last was 04 Cobra well north of the 600/600 rwhp/rwtq mark. All performance mods including the KB Twin screw installed by myself. The only thing i didn't do was tune the car.

Current Car, 05 E55

What i need to know is:

1.Best (quality) and output pulley for additional boost

2. Best exhaust mods without spending ten grand. I have a custom fab guy that can do long tubes and ceramic coat them for me, past that i'm looking for good advise. X-pipe in place of resonator?

3. From what i have read so far the ECUs on these is nothing like my former cars. Is there still no way to carry more than one tune, and switch back and forth at will?

I would like to have a tune for the standard mods Pulley, exhaust ect.., and then have a tune for a 75ish wet shot of NOS, (or dry if it could be tuned in) engaging at WOT and shutting off before redline for safety.

I have a set of 60# Siemens Deka injector left over form the SVT build. Any application for these on the E55?

How much can these cars take before they break?

Any input appreciated,

Regards
Old 11-27-2010, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
here are my opinions...

1. asp pulley

2. not much you haven't already stated. custom long tubes into x pipe into oem mufflers have been proven on the quickest cars.

3. a few companies offer obd2 tuning blocks that can allow you to switch tunes. oe tuning is the way to go for that. if you run n2o, it should be a wet shot. we're just starting to play with injectors so you may have more input on that than many here.

so far we're bolt-on limited around the low 700+ hp mark and the motors seem to be holding up just fine. our breakage problems are more of a cylinder 8 fuel issue rather than a max hp issue.

other than that, welcome and have fun!

Last edited by chiromikey; 11-27-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey
here are my opinions...

1. asp pulley

2. not much you haven't already stated. custom long tubes into x pipe into oem mufflers have been proven on the quickest cars.

3. a few companies offer obd2 tuning blocks that can allow you to switch tunes. oe tuning is the way to go for that. if you run n2o, it should be a wet shot. we're just starting to play with injectors so you may have more input on that than many here.

so far we're bolt-on limited around the low 700+ hp mark and the motors seem to be holding up just fine. our breakage problems are more of a cylinder 8 fuel issue rather than a max hp issue.

other than that, welcome and have fun!
Thanks for the fast response.

Can you point me in the direction of the companies that are providing the tunning blocks. I dont want to spray the car all the time, just when the need arises. (if you have a preferred tuner please share)

Is that 700 crank of rwhp? You have me thinking on the cylinder 8 fuel issue. sounds like that could be a problem.

The reason i ran the big injectors was that simply needed the capacity, of course the stock fuel system had to be upgraded to supply the needed pressure.

Really hoping I'm not being unrealistic here. I love this car!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Oh no, another SVT guy! Chawkins is gonna love you! He is still currently a SVT nut as well as an AMG nut! I have straight pipes from the cats back to the Meisterschaft exhaust with shorty headers. I would research pullys and tunes. They are like aholes and everyone has an opinion.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by emoving
Oh no, another SVT guy! Chawkins is gonna love you! He is still currently a SVT nut as well as an AMG nut! I have straight pipes from the cats back to the Meisterschaft exhaust with shorty headers. I would research pullys and tunes. They are like aholes and everyone has an opinion.
I still like the SVT's, Just trying a little something different these days. Thanks for your input as well.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
sorry i wasn't clear on that. "OE Tuning" is the tuner i recommend for your tuning and tuning device.

...and the 700 number is crank hp.

Originally Posted by MetricHead
Thanks for the fast response.

Can you point me in the direction of the companies that are providing the tunning blocks. I dont want to spray the car all the time, just when the need arises. (if you have a preferred tuner please share)

Is that 700 crank of rwhp? You have me thinking on the cylinder 8 fuel issue. sounds like that could be a problem.

The reason i ran the big injectors was that simply needed the capacity, of course the stock fuel system had to be upgraded to supply the needed pressure.

Really hoping I'm not being unrealistic here. I love this car!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
welcome!!! I converted to these "family cars" myself after having a 04 cobra with a 3.4L whipple. These cars are awsome except for what it cost to try to go faster in these. I would use Jeremy from OE tuning for the tune but your base tune on these cars is $1000 so be prepared for that and as far as increasing the boost you can only do a lower pulley and they're pricey too and then to get more air in your looking at a larger throttle body/ supercharger inlet thats gonna cost atleast another $1500+ with parts so just be prepared lol
Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Welcome to the family! Enjoy the beast!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Welcome To the family. I would do a 180mm ASP pulley, upgrade the heatexchanger, and the I/c Pump, Longtubes cut all 4 cats 3'' back to stock mufflers and a tune. Should get you over 500whp and 600wtq with a good tuner.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Evolved8
Welcome To the family. I would do a 180mm ASP pulley, upgrade the heatexchanger, and the I/c Pump, Longtubes cut all 4 cats 3'' back to stock mufflers and a tune. Should get you over 500whp and 600wtq with a good tuner.
Thanks, I can live with 600+ wtq, I'll take more tq than hp any day of the week

I'm located in TN, so from what i can see it looks as if i have a good trip ahead of me if i want to have the car tuned on the dyno. I prefer that but I haven't read of anyone near here that tunes MB.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Welcome to the family! Enjoy the beast!
Thank you for the the welcome. Glad to be here!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:23 PM

E55
Thanks, I can live with 600+ wtq, I'll take more tq than hp any day of the week

I'm located in TN, so from what i can see it looks as if i have a good trip ahead of me if i want to have the car tuned on the dyno. I prefer that but I haven't read of anyone near here that tunes MB.
I'm also in Tennessee. Memphis to be exact. I think our only option is a roadtrip to either Houston or Chicago. Let me know where in Tn you are. I have a diesel and can borrow a 2 car trailer. I'm thinking about trailering to have it tuned in a few months after I get everything setup right.

FYI - I'm also a SVT guy. I have a '04 Cobra that puts down a tad north of 600 to the wheels.

Todd
Old 11-28-2010, 11:32 PM

2004 SL55
Originally Posted by Todd Edge
I'm also in Tennessee. Memphis to be exact. I think our only option is a roadtrip to either Houston or Chicago. Let me know where in Tn you are. I have a diesel and can borrow a 2 car trailer. I'm thinking about trailering to have it tuned in a few months after I get everything setup right.

FYI - I'm also a SVT guy. I have a '04 Cobra that puts down a tad north of 600 to the wheels.

Todd
Jackson MS guy here. Let me know if y'all feel like heading to Houston in the future. I might be up for that.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Good to see TN being represented! If I'm not mistaken Jeremy can do a remote tune so all you really need is a good dyno with an internet connection and a laptop.

I talked to him a while ago and that was what I understood. I've been to busy to pull the trigger but he comes highly recommended from a lot of the faster people on this board.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 AM

Ive heard of the remote tune, sounds like a good option. I don't know about most, but I like a mustang dyno set-up, as apposed to a dynojet. It may be a little ways out before i do anything. Took a new career path this year that has been very time consuming, and the car has mostly sat in the garage making thins look nicer in there. The only thing I have changed so far is the Wax! I think that should get me a tenth or so

Seriously, all of us that are in this general area or neighboring states could get together and have a tune day at a shop via OE and Jeremy, or caravan it to Cali!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Edge

Todd
Todd i'm just east of Knoxville, that sounds like a good option to. Its going to be a little while pulling all this together.

I don't have the Cobra anymore. My mechanic told a friend of his about it, and he literally kept inquiring about the car, wanting to buy it, wanting to come see it. One day he said just price it to me. So i highballed it thinking it would be the end of it. Well, he didn't even flinch and the car is gone. I would like to get my hands on a GT500 though, and may one day. Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Welcome Metrichead! I love the enthusiasm you're bringing to the boards and I bet we will see some great results from your build.

As many have mentioned, asp 180 pulley, OE Tune, killer chiller, headers and exhaust, and a logging system. On the logging system I prefer the Dashdaq/Zeitronix setup to monitor my vitals.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Welcome! As far as exhaust, look for a used meisterschaft or eisenmann and then cat delete and resonator del. X pipe at 2nd cat and straight pipes at resonator is what I've researched is best, but it can be done different ways. GL!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
To be honest, agree with much of what has been posted above, biggest challenge is putting it to the ground. Now that it is cold where I live, 2nd gear 50mph WOT blast get you sideways real quick, even with 285's in the rear.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by bassn_07
Welcome Metrichead! I love the enthusiasm you're bringing to the boards and I bet we will see some great results from your build.

As many have mentioned, asp 180 pulley, OE Tune, killer chiller, headers and exhaust, and a logging system. On the logging system I prefer the Dashdaq/Zeitronix setup to monitor my vitals.
Thanks bassn_07! Nice times in your sig! Looks like your a pace setter around here among the modded cars.

I almost bought a set of PLM shorties, but it seems most agree longtubes are more productive.

Also, thanks to all posters for your inputs!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Thanks bassn_07! Nice times in your sig! Looks like your a pace setter around here among the modded cars.

I almost bought a set of PLM shorties, but it seems most agree longtubes are more productive.

Also, thanks to all posters for your inputs!
You will be surprised at those PLM's.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:39 PM

You don't drive around the Sevierville area do you? I've been seeing a silver E55 from time to time around here. AMG's are rare around here so it's stood out. If you want to see a set of longtubes that have been proven to make major power just let me know. They are the same as Alan's (Bassn_07) and a few others on here (chiromikey I believe) I've got a set still sitting in storage at work. It has a sweet crossover/x-pipe as part of the setup.

If you read around here you'll see that longtubes are the only way to go as far as headers. Shorties work but the longtubes kick *** time and time again.

Last edited by Luke_M; 11-29-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Luke_M
You don't drive around the Sevierville area do you? I've been seeing a silver E55 from time to time around here. AMG's are rare around here so it's stood out. If you want to see a set of longtubes that have been proven to make major power just let me know. They are the same as Alan's (Bassn_07) and a few others on here (chiromikey I believe) I've got a set still sitting in storage at work. It has a sweet crossover/x-pipe as part of the setup.

If you read around here you'll see that longtubes are the only way to go as far as headers. Shorties work but the longtubes kick *** time and time again.
I've had the car up that way a couple of times but mine is Flint Grey so there must be another one running around. I would like to see these longtubes sometime your talking about. I come through Ktown several times a week so maybe we can take a look at them when its convenient for you.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:29 PM

Any time man. Just shoot me a PM sometime.

I received a PM about the headers already so I just wanted to clarify, they aren't for sale. Not yet anyway but I thought if you wanted to ever check them out you could. It's not often that you can see E55 longtubes around East TN lol
Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by chiromikey
sorry i wasn't clear on that. "OE Tuning" is the tuner i recommend for your tuning and tuning device.

...and the 700 number is crank hp.
Mikey, do you know if the tuning device (EZ-Flash) would allow you to switch between Company X's tune and Company Y's tune? Or is it only for switching between different tunes from one company?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member former SVT fanatic