Sponsored by:

Need some help diagnosing a problem....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Need some help diagnosing a problem....

Hello and thank you for taking the time to hopefully diagnose a few issues I am having. If closer to the stealer, I would just take it in however, the closest stealer to me is 90 miles.
First, I have noticed some issues when the transmission shifts from first to second or sometimes even second to third. It sounds like it is missing, the best description could be that it feels like power cuts momentarily then resumes. It is more prominent when in M mode and shifting manually. Any thoughts on that? Thankfully, in part from the hundreds of posts I read on this site, when purchasing the vehicle I did get an extended warranty with the car.
Secondly, I noticed today that when I pulled into my bank to drop the daily deposits off that I heard some squeaking coming from, what sounded like the drivers front wheel. It only squeaks when going over bumps and or changes in the road (bumps and cracks).
Should I have the beast taken in to diagnose these problems or is this a known issue others have experienced. I am fairly new to the E55 world and know that someone out there has experienced this. Thank you for your time and any help you may have!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
The squeaking is likely a ball joint, which fail fairly commonly on these cars.

The other issue your experiencing is very likely perfectly normal. These cars have a good deal of torque management. In some instances you can feel the power fade, get cut completely, and then fed back in over the course of a second or so. It is most pronounced on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts at WOT. You can feel it shift, go into gear, and then it starts to pull harder and harder as the power comes back on. All of this happens relatively quickly, but it is definitely noticable.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by izzyz28
The squeaking is likely a ball joint, which fail fairly commonly on these cars.

The other issue your experiencing is very likely perfectly normal. These cars have a good deal of torque management. In some instances you can feel the power fade, get cut completely, and then fed back in over the course of a second or so. It is most pronounced on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts at WOT. You can feel it shift, go into gear, and then it starts to pull harder and harder as the power comes back on. All of this happens relatively quickly, but it is definitely noticable.
I hope that it is normal....I have zero issues thus far and sure would like to keep it that way. I guess I am cautious due to complexity of the E55. Thanks so much for the speedy response....any one else have any thoughts!