Sponsored by:

belt squel..gets louder with revs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
belt squel..gets louder with revs

What needs to be changed when the belt gets louder as the revs go up? For the last little while it would make noise only on cold morning starts for 5 mins then go away completely. Now have constant squel that gets louder with more revs, what should I check?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
I had this once when my s/c belt ripped, went under and broke the idler pulley on the side. Had to replace the pulley and the noise went away. Just one idea of many.

First thing is to visually check the pulleys. Have you sprayed anything on the belts to see which belt is the culprit? If you sprayed and the noise went away or changed significantly, it is most likely just a belt issue or old/aged tensioner.

If not, then I would spin rotating parts for a possible bearing issue.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:17 PM

MB
When I noticed the cold start up squek last month I sprayed belt dressing on both belts and nothing happened. Noise was still there, then I sprayed wd-40 on the supercharger bearing and it would go quiet alot faster than before. Now it sounds different, sounds like it only squels right after I hear the chirp and then spins for couple more seconds causing a little noise. Im gonna check under the hood in the morning but Im guessing something related to the supercharger and its bearings?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 PM

MB
So I sprayed all the pulleys where the bearings are with wd40 and put belt dressing on the belts..The noise is even louder now. Same thing I it did last time then went quiet after two days. Its pretty cold here now, around freezing so it might need time to dry up properly I hope. Gonna get everything looked over monday morning now from a good indy in the are that I've been getting services from.