Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS63-S
Red face

woops, my bad.....

Originally Posted by GregMB
I can never get to "7"..... I drive the lowly E55 which only has 5 speeds. HA!

These type of threads cause me to wonder if the transmission software can be "updated" to give the new throttle-blipping feature to an older car? Tuners have hacked the engine management software, so I'm sure it's possible to hack the transmission controller, ESP functions, or whatever.... somebody with the knowledge and resources would just need to invest the time to do it.

-G
Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 C63C
Exhaust note changes after engine braking

So I have been using engine braking mostly for the sound, and i noticed the other day that the exhaust note, once the car has been completely slowed to a stop, is much more boomy as i slowly take off again, but only until i start to apply moderate throttle. I understand engines and mechanics, but not sure what would cause this. It's almost like there's a bypass kicking in when I engine brake, and it's staying open until i give it a relative amount of gas to accelerate again. The exact steps followed (and repeated a few times) were to blip throttle while downshifting through 4th gear, all the way to 1st. Then i take off in 1st very slowly and the exhaust note is very boomy/resonant, and if i give it a little more gas, the resonance quiets back down and sounds normal again. It's very pronounced.

Also, I talked to my MB dealer about engine braking to avoid brake dust, and although not an AMG Performance Center, their opinion was it was kindof pointless. They said the car is constantly braking in corners and other times, even though my 07 model doesn't have SBC, and straight line engine braking would only be a fraction of the braking action that actually happens with the car. Not sure how true this is and they sure didn't give specifics but it's something new I didn't know about my car.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
brakes are cheaper than tranny repairs. Does not mean it will go out anytime quick though.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Haters crazy
Its when you miss the blip that could cause problems. I use to do it all the time, than when my sc clutch cracked, I stopped doing it all the time. Im sure its ALOT more harsh on the engine/tranny/diff.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 Presidential Ed. (sold), 08 C63 (sold), 09 C300, 03 S55
Originally Posted by Yuille36
The 07-09 E63 do not, blip the throttle on downshifts.
The 10-11 E63 do, now that they have the MCT.
That is a feature that I wish my 07 E63 had, as I always downshift in my C63, love the exhaust note.
An old thread I realize, but would this not give the 07-09 E63 the throttle blip on downshifts??

http://weistec.com/all/e/e-63/2007-2...g-upgrade.html

Pricey, but worth it ?? Weistec has some seriously nice packages/items available on the C/E63 !
Old 12-24-2015, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 06 CLS63 AMG 14 E350 14 S550
You guys know that you can use the shifter miss gears when down shifting to the lowest gear possible so if your cruising at 80mph and want to kick down two gears to really lay the smack down on something using the tiptronic style and holding it in the down shift position the thing will drop to the lower gear possible so straight from 5th to 2nd if possible.

The thing really tears *** when you hit the throttle at the same time as doing that....

I assume this could also be used to engine brake the car but have never tried it. Could be wrong.

I would be more concerned about the condition of my flex discs on the driveshaft if doing this constantly. Failure of that front one could get very messy.

Last edited by austingtir; 12-24-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 AMG E63S 212
Every time I downshift from5 or 6 in S+ mode I get the sweetest double clutch, which, I have been told, can be heard from a good distance! It makes me forget the cost to get it.