Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
benzo larenzo
Originally Posted by Rastus
I've got an '04 CLK55.
I've had me three rims repaired in the last 4 months @ $170.00 each. I've never run over anything significant enough to crack a rim.

I'm a stock kind of guy but if I get get another crack I'm buying 4 new aftermarket rims.
im with you on that if this set cracks i will ship them to MB CEO's house with some anthrax.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
When I switched to my winters, the front right went down ... found a crack in the rim and it destroyed the tire. Have to replace BOTH front tires since they no longer make the Blizzak LM-25s any more! Might as well go with replicas if the OEMs are prone to cracking all the time! I was going to keep these as winter wheels and was waiting till summer to get new shoes but with this, I am going to have to do something!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
My 18" oem rim cracked a few months after I had it replaced and I had SABS fix it. The rim has been fine ever since, so I think you'll be ok.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
Walked out to my car on Saturday morning to take the E55 to a car show, and my front right tire was flat. I filled it with air to diagnose how quick it was leaking etc, and eventually took it in to Discount Tire yesterday morning.

Turned out that the tire was 100% fine, and there was a crack on the inside lip of my passenger front wheel, right near the bead of the tire.

Now, I'll preface this by saying that the roads are garbage on my part of town and in all likelihood I hit one pothole or another and did this, but I've never heard of a wheel cracking in this fashion without some sort of tire damage [blowout, bubbling, out of round etc].

Anyone else have experience with this?

FWIW, it's going to cost $150 to have it welded by a reputable wheel repair place [SABS], and I found out in the process that my centercap on that wheel is missing some fins, so I can repair it before it takes flight and I lose it.
It's happened to me before. Sabs welded and straightened my wheel. I'm forming another crack with minor leaks but I don't care anymore.

The Houston streets are messed and cause these cracks. My driving doesn't help the situation.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by HadiLaw
It's happened to me before. Sabs welded and straightened my wheel. I'm forming another crack with minor leaks but I don't care anymore.

The Houston streets are messed and cause these cracks. My driving doesn't help the situation.
Quoted for truth.

3 of my wheels had serious rash when I bought the car in New Hampshire that I dremeled to smooth out a bit. I just raped my fourth *good* wheel, while driving straight, on a road near Reliant.

Turns out that the road had settled, and I drove along a depressed portion with a lip that just caught the edge of my rim. So now I've got 360* of chunked wheel from driving in a straight line.

Might be time for some reps... that, or have Sabs refinish and paint my OEM set.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 PM

e55
for everyone that rips on companies when their aftermarket wheels crack, this is a great thread for them to see that even a major corporation like MB has issues
Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by LSonDubz
for everyone that rips on companies when their aftermarket wheels crack, this is a great thread for them to see that even a major corporation like MB has issues

So I'm getting tired of this ****:

There's almost no worse feeling than walking out to your car that was fine just hours before and seeing that instead of going to your important meeting you get to deal with a flat tire.

Ever cracked an OEM rim?-emzn8.jpg

Ever cracked an OEM rim?-e3pdn.jpg

Anyone cracked a set of reps multiple times? These wheels are garbage so I can't imagine the reps being any worse.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re

So I'm getting tired of this ****:

There's almost no worse feeling than walking out to your car that was fine just hours before and seeing that instead of going to your important meeting you get to deal with a flat tire.

Anyone cracked a set of reps multiple times? These wheels are garbage so I can't imagine the reps being any worse.

as a matter of fact yes. i recently discovered multiple cracks in my rear wheels an another in my passenger front. the roads here in west texas aren't awful at all. they are 20" replicas as well. i received a quote of $300 to fix 'em but i think i'm gonna pick up another set.

i'm not sure why this occurs but i bet the negative camber and weight of our vehicles are the main culprits.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:12 AM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by hollandca12
as a matter of fact yes. i recently discovered multiple cracks in my rear wheels an another in my passenger front. the roads here in west texas aren't awful at all. they are 20" replicas as well. i received a quote of $300 to fix 'em but i think i'm gonna pick up another set.

i'm not sure why this occurs but i bet the negative camber and weight of our vehicles are the main culprits.
Damn. These are OEM 18's pictured.

I had my eye on some 18" CLS 5 Spoke Reps to keep the cost of tires down.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:03 PM

ML63AMG, acura nsx
Angry ML63 Cracked RIMSSS - 2 now

I have an AMG 2010 ML63 and now have two cracked rims - one that has cracked twice now. I've spent more time this season riding on spares than on my regular tires. I also had to replace all four brand new tires because the tires ran flat.
I can't believe Mercedes and AMG would put out such *****ty wheels on a $100K+ vehicle. Now in the process of buying new rims (NON AMG) and then getting rid of the thing altogether. It's embarassing having to worry about something like flat tires every time I drive it.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
one of my rear OEM 18s cracked -$130 to fix and refinish
Old 12-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Bmw
I put a clean 1.5"x5" crack right through my bmw rim after hitting a pothole.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by saziz
I have an AMG 2010 ML63 and now have two cracked rims - one that has cracked twice now. I've spent more time this season riding on spares than on my regular tires. I also had to replace all four brand new tires because the tires ran flat.
I can't believe Mercedes and AMG would put out such *****ty wheels on a $100K+ vehicle. Now in the process of buying new rims (NON AMG) and then getting rid of the thing altogether. It's embarassing having to worry about something like flat tires every time I drive it.
You'll do a lot better with more air pressure in your tires....

Allowing your tires to get low on air will make them far more vulnerable to impact damage. I'm not sure how bad the roads are where you live, but it's a simple change that might help keep your wheels alive.

-G
Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Originally Posted by saziz
2010, is that the special edition with the 21's? Either way, run the higher recommended pressures and "should" be ok. I've seen all rims crack. Factory, aftermarket, cast, forged etc. usually happens from lower psi and bad roads.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM

ML63AMG, acura nsx
Yes it's the special edition 21". My tire guy has tried everything. I had the rim repaired and it's cracked again and now the rear one too. I've had 4 other Benz s and never had this problem.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Once they are cracked, they are always cracked, by cracky

Last edited by Yacht Master; 12-12-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes E43 AMG
Repeated and Continual Wheel Cracking on 2018 E43 AMG

Walked out to my car on Saturday morning to take the E55 to a car show, and my front right tire was flat. I filled it with air to diagnose how quick it was leaking etc, and eventually took it in to Discount Tire yesterday morning.

Turned out that the tire was 100% fine, and there was a crack on the inside lip of my passenger front wheel, right near the bead of the tire.

Now, I'll preface this by saying that the roads are garbage on my part of town and in all likelihood I hit one pothole or another and did this, but I've never heard of a wheel cracking in this fashion without some sort of tire damage [blowout, bubbling, out of round etc].

Anyone else have experience with this?

FWIW, it's going to cost $150 to have it welded by a reputable wheel repair place [SABS], and I found out in the process that my centercap on that wheel is missing some fins, so I can repair it before it takes flight and I lose it.

My 2018 E43 AMG has damaged three wheels and four front tires in 13,000 miles of usage. The car is equipped with 20 inch cast wheels and low profile run flat tires. The wheels are failing over and over because they are not strong enough for the dynamic loading they are subjected to under typical driving conditions. I weighted the vehicle front and rear axels and it turns out that the car fully loaded subjects the front wheels to a static loading of approximately 1350 to 1400 lbs. When the car drives down the road however, the front wheels are subjected to additional dynamic loads on top of the static load. These loads are directed from the stiff low profile tires straight to the front rims and they are localized on the portion of the rim that is in contact with the pavement which causes the rim to exceed its yield strength and fail. These cast OEM rims are structurally marginal for this car and this is why they are failing over and over. One of my rims failed almost catastrophically with a 7 inch longitudinal crack along the inner lip. Anyone with similar structural rim failures should file a complaint with the NHTSA and request an investigation so that the government can have these unsafe vehicles recalled and repaired.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
This is why a lot of owners have chosen to go with aftermarket wheels. I had issues like this when I owned a Mini Cooper S, that I had tons of aftermarket goodies on Just kept cracking front wheels, even after I had the wheels professionally repaired.
Once your wheels have cracked, their more prone than ever to re-crack either in the same place or in another spot. Best to just replace them all together, less headaches.

Last edited by Yuille36; 11-19-2020 at 12:44 PM.