W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Current State Of The Used Car Market Skyrocketed Upwards And Its Been 2 Years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something Fly
Question The Current State Of The Used Car Market Skyrocketed Upwards And Its Been 2 Years

I have gone through these posts and looked at Manheim and cant see how anyone is making money at this? The prices just don't seem like they are that much lower than retail and if people are flipping cars they are not making much and do put out $28K or $30K to make $500-$1000 at best just does not seem realistic?

Is anyone making money at this? I have been told that so many people have auction licenses now and are buying up everything which is driving the prices way up which was not the case many years ago. Is this the case? Example like a 05 C230 with 50k miles in Dec 2008 you could buy for $10500 now the same car is selling for $13000 and its 2 years later. Then E55 AMG selling more than CL55 AMG an SL55 AMG. The used car value has went up. I just dont understand how people are making money and nevertheless buyers getting a good deal on a used car.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by mvpof2011
I have gone through these posts and looked at Manheim and cant see how anyone is making money at this? The prices just don't seem like they are that much lower than retail and if people are flipping cars they are not making much and do put out $28K or $30K to make $500-$1000 at best just does not seem realistic?

Is anyone making money at this? I have been told that so many people have auction licenses now and are buying up everything which is driving the prices way up which was not the case many years ago. Is this the case? Example like a 05 C230 with 50k miles in Dec 2008 you could buy for $10500 now the same car is selling for $13000 and its 2 years later. Then E55 AMG selling more than CL55 AMG an SL55 AMG. The used car value has went up. I just dont understand how people are making money and nevertheless buyers getting a good deal on a used car.
I think its more and economy issue than a license issue. People who were holding off may be starting to creep back into the market thus driving up prices. I was just reading an article in the WSJ that showed how 1 year old used Hondas were costing more then brand new ones! Dealers obviously loved that. Laws of suppply and demand are in action. 2 years ago no demand thus lower prices, demand back so higher prices now.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
'06 E55
You are absolutely right,it seems like every one has a license now so yes at the auctions,the prices have definately been driven up.
On a side note,most of these independent dealers do end up buying not so perfect cars but since the prices are relatively lower then MB dealer cars ( better one's) they do end up selling them relatively quicker.
I just payed $32,000 for a perfect/low mileage/fully optioned/CPO/ '07 530i with 18,000 miles at a MB dealership. I could have purchased same year 530i for $28,000 at an indy but then the car would have had higher mileage/lot less options/no warranty and not to mention,most of the cars had accident history or some sort of issues.
It's amazing how to most buyers,it's the price of the car that counts,so to each it's own.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996 Guards red / 2008 Hayabusa / 2004 E55 AMG
I manage a Honda dealership and I can tell you exactly that has happened, retail selling prices have come down and wholesale/trade prices have come up resulting in a lot less profit margin.