W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly soft/vague steering or is it just me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG Carlsson Front Spoiler & Diffuser, 175 ASP Pulley, K&Ns, Resonator delete, 19" SL-65s
Slightly soft/vague steering or is it just me

Wanted to get some views on how your steering feels at high speeds.

I've always expected the steering to significantly tighten up at higher speeds, but have noticed that on my E55 it feels soft or should I say not as firm as I would expect.

Recently had the steering bushes done and the wheel alignment, car is better than before, but wondering if there was anything else I could do, perhaps a strut brace??

Maybe this is how the car is and its a case of living with it. Thx
Old 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
The answer is sort of yes and no. Yes the steering wheel is rather disconnected even at highway but there is some feedback to be gained when the suspension is in sport II. I personally noticed an improvement with the current drop i have on the car with a slight rake but I'm sure its not going to be M sharp. Some have also spoken of lighter 19" wheels combined with light-weight rotors making further improvement.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG Carlsson Front Spoiler & Diffuser, 175 ASP Pulley, K&Ns, Resonator delete, 19" SL-65s
Thanks Nanayaw, disconnected steering feel is probably a better way of putting it. I'm runnning 19" SL-65s, with Michelin Pilot Sports, and drive in Sport II suspension mode. What do you think about a strut brace, would that help or should I consider further lowering....
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Go Low...

Nice wheels, I've always been interested in those. Do you by chance know how much they weigh?
Depending on how slammed you are currently I wold lean more towards lowering the car. I'm on 18's though but I'm lowered to the point where my rear fender is exactly flush with my rear tires and about half an inch gap on the fronts so the weight is slightly biased to the front at cruise or stop but car is level during accel. I found this has improved my drive feel (faster turn-ins and more feedback all around.) Also, I don't scrape anything practical.
I can't comment on the strut brace though but given these air cushions we have, I'm not sure there would be much gain there; maybe someone else can chime in on that.
There's also been recent chatter on switching to coil-overs recently...cant remember the thread title but you might wanna look into that as well(dude's in Russia I believe).
One last bit, visually make sure you tires won't rub the fender before lowering if you decide to.