Pulling Back the Curtain, Part 2 | Tuning and Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i guess that's a fair answer considering you're new to the 55k marketplace and aren't familiar with what some people have gone through but we both know what "should" be done and what actually gets done are often two different things. i'm not talking about frankencars so i won't address those comments but over the last few years there have been enough stage 1 failures that lead to major repairs in which tuners did not step up. it is what it is...
Mikey, we ARE new to the 55K market, and that's precisely why haven't released our "customer" files, TCU software, and other "neat" upgrades ... yet. Our guinea pigs are still in the testing phase. These products have lots of potential, but only if they're 100%.

As for "stage 1 failures", I honestly don't know what shops you're referring to, but I'd be surprised if they were established shops pushing "canned" packages and still didn't A. stand behind the product or B. get crucified on the boards, like they should have been.

PM me or email me if you want to fill me in on the details. I won't "out you" for giving me a scoop.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I agree 100% with you on this. If the company is reputable, and have done enough R&D before they put their products on the market, they should feel comfortable enough to warranty their parts/work/products against failure. That's why R&D is so important: it is designed to test the product thoroughly and ultimately find the failure point. And make no mistake about it, R&D costs will be paid one way or another.... if the company does not pay to do their own R&D, the customer's car becomes the guinea pig and costs will be coming out of his/her own pocket.
That makes complete sense...but that's assuming this is a perfect world and everyone is honest I know plenty of people who have been promised reliability and get a ticking timebomb because someone wanted to save a few bucks and cut costs...
And then take into account the quote below in bold and you have some real problems:

Originally Posted by emoving
That's the problem here. Most of these cars here are a parts bin of stuff. I dont know many people that take their car to Renntech, Kleeman ect. and have them do all the work. That is where things go bad! When a engine blows or whatever, the blame always goes to the tunner. Not to mention half the people dont even do normal maint. and have high miled cars they are tunning the crap out of.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
IIf the company does not pay to do their own R&D, the customer's car becomes the guinea pig and costs will be coming out of his/her own pocket.
As long as the customer knows that going in, and all the terms of liability, build schedules, etc., are laid out on the table before money changes hands and the real work begins, then that's OK ... it's the price someone has to pay to be the first guy/gal with shiny-new "product x" on their car, you know?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by LZH
That makes complete sense...but that's assuming this is a perfect world and everyone is honest I know plenty of people who have been promised reliability and get a ticking timebomb because someone wanted to save a few bucks and cut costs ...
That's why you get your expectations and deliverables in writing. It's a sad statement on tuning in general, maybe, but I go by the philosophy that someone who's not willing to write things down is already planning to f*** me. It's a big red flag.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Speedriven
Mikey, we ARE new to the 55K market, and that's precisely why haven't released our "customer" files, TCU software, and other "neat" upgrades ... yet. Our guinea pigs are still in the testing phase. These products have lots of potential, but only if they're 100%.
nice to hear and i look forward to seeing some proven products.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Totally agree about the "relationship" part when it comes to the dealer but please please don't forget this everyone. In order for your dealer to put an expensive part in your car under warranty (the tripwire amount I am unsure of) they need authorization from the dreaded "regional guys". These are the real ****'s whose only job is to save Benz money by making sure we being good boys and girls and not modding or pulling funny business. They spot anything out of sorts with the car and they have authority to stamp DENIED on the request for new engine/tranny/ rear diff etc.

You can be dealing heroin to the service manager, but when it comes to catastrophic faillures, they bring in the corporate regional guys for approval.

That's why you need to play the game when modding. Save all parts and be ready in case of the worst case scenario. A weekend of wrench turning and 1K of install charges to rip out mods could save you $$$$$$$$$$$$$ if the unthinkable happens.

Honestly it's part of why I am so addicted to modding. It's kinda like gambling. You are rolling the dice that a 44,000$ (yup what she used to cost new) engine will not pop on you. Weirdest thing to describe but it's kind of a rush doing it.

I am out of warranty now so the thrill is gone.
+1000...Jim we are in the same boat...except I went through the wringer dealing with the regional rep. Bro...when his first words to me were..."...I see you have an aftermarket engine cover..." I knew I was SOL.

Luckily, the MBWorld family came through for me and I left with a smallish dent to my wallet vs. a gaping hole if I went through MB. Two years later, my Beast is still a Beast with no help from MB.

My service writer was the best but only so much he can get away with without telling his manager and possibly jeopardizing his own job.

Great thread BTW.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...Speedriven’s obligation under this warranty extends only to the repair or replacement [of] parts sold by Speedriven...
Most aftermarket manufacturers’ warranties specifically exclude any claims relating to merchantability, fitness and/or ancillary damage.
Examples and threads attesting same abound, including those sold by this forum’s current and former vendors.

Not sure what veil has been lifted, but I do believe the OP’s premise is well-intentioned.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by splinter
Most aftermarket manufacturers’ warranties specifically exclude any claims relating to merchantability, fitness and/or ancillary damage.
Examples and threads attesting same abound, including those sold by this forum’s current and former vendors.

Not sure what veil has been lifted, but I do believe the OP’s premise is well-intentioned.
The idea was to discuss the OE warranty, not really the vendor's.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Speedriven
:: bump ::

Since I'm starting to get lots of warranty questions again, I'm bumping this.