W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

E55s arriving and COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55s arriving and COMAND

I've heard from my Northern California dealer that about 300 2003 E55s have begun to arrive in the States. These cars were built at the factory's discretion - most with not a lot of options - and were offered to US dealers about two weeks ago while they were still on the ship. That's about 1.5 cars per US dealer; my dealer was able to nab two, one black, one silver. The silver car has cleared customs and may arrive at the dealership next week, at which time I'll have a chance to drive it.

I've ordered what we think will be a 2003 with the options below, but have yet to get a build date. On NetStar, COMAND now shows up for E320/E500 and E55 and is no longer listed as "delayed availability". Of course, I'll believe that when I see it.

- Pewter Silver / Charcoal
- COMAND
- Drive Dynamic Seats
- Active Ventilated Seats
- Rear Side Door Blinds
- Power Read Window Sunshade
- CD Changer
- Bi-Xenon Headlamps
- Tire Pressure Monitoring
- Keyless Go
Old 05-04-2003, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the info. No more waiting for the Nav.

Now all I have to wait for is the 7 speed transmission, the headlights that swivel, the bump up to 500 hp, the dsg transmission like it is on the Audi TT, the next bump up to 550-600 hp to beat the next M5, courtesy of 65 amg or a tweek in the supercharger, better software for the brakes, bluetooth, parktronics that will parelllel park for you, or distronics that will do the stop and go in traffic.
(Just kidding) By that time these rumors become true or false, I will have wasted 3 years that I could have driven an awsome machine. I think I will just order the first 04 Nav when it comes in and enjoy!!!

amgB
Old 05-04-2003, 10:08 PM
alz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that's funny

!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
FDS Seats

I'm waiting for FDS - Fart Detection Seats.

They automatically sense farts and turns on the Active Ventilated Seats.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:56 AM

That is a good one!!!

amgB
Old 05-05-2003, 02:45 PM

I've got one of those... aka WIFE!! Also automatically rolls down the windows!!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:53 AM

According to my source, while Command is now available in the E55 order specs, there will not be an immediate step-up in E55 production for customers who have been waiting for this to come on line. As I understand it, MB's first priority will be to make good on committments to E500 and E320 owners who paid for Command but took delivery of their cars without this functionality. MB cannot retrofit Command, so they are building new cars for these people. This will require that all Command production be dedicated to this initiative and that it will take about 6-8 weeks from now before "new" orders are built with Command.

I would expect that individual dealers are able to influence the prioritization of "rebuilds" versus new orders, but this will certainly be on a case by case basis.

Has anyone else heard anything different?
Old 05-08-2003, 12:27 PM
alz

Here is the Latest from AutoSpies

It’s official...Here’s the letter Mercedes-Benz is sending out to E-class customers regarding the dvd navigation issues, first reported by Auto Spies.

Auto Spies perspective- How about “Option 2”? They will give you a brand new car for free! Looks like a no-brainer to us….TAKE THE FREE CAR! The letter states you must order a 2003 equiped the same way, in the same color.

Here's a little secret...we hear if you push for a 2004 model instead, they will allow it. We've also heard every situation is different and dealers are cutting little side deals to keep customers happy.

So you’re thinking that the boys at MB are just great guys because they are offering customers this option…They are! But don’t fool yourself, their legal counsel must have told them they better offer this option, because as we speak, everyone across the internet who has one of these cars is getting “Lawyered up”, just in case they DIDN’T do the right thing. The Spies congratulate MB for turning a lemon into lemonade and we’d like to think that our exposure of this issue, added a little sugar to the mix.

A copy of the letter sent to customers is at

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000147532.cfm
Old 05-08-2003, 06:45 PM

e500
do you think i can pay for the nav now and say that i prepaid for it, and get a new car later?
Old 05-08-2003, 06:56 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Re: FDS Seats

Originally posted by E55 KEV
I'm waiting for FDS - Fart Detection Seats.

They automatically sense farts and turns on the Active Ventilated Seats.
There is a TSB out for the FDS as some cars recirculate buttons are automatically being engaged...several deaths have been reported.

Last edited by RJC; 05-08-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:02 PM

e500
Old 05-09-2003, 10:23 PM

Porsche 997 Turbo
Re: Here is the Latest from AutoSpies

Originally posted by alz
It’s official...Here’s the letter Mercedes-Benz is sending out to E-class customers regarding the dvd navigation issues, first reported by Auto Spies.

Auto Spies perspective- How about “Option 2”? They will give you a brand new car for free! Looks like a no-brainer to us….TAKE THE FREE CAR! The letter states you must order a 2003 equiped the same way, in the same color.

Here's a little secret...we hear if you push for a 2004 model instead, they will allow it. We've also heard every situation is different and dealers are cutting little side deals to keep customers happy.

So you’re thinking that the boys at MB are just great guys because they are offering customers this option…They are! But don’t fool yourself, their legal counsel must have told them they better offer this option, because as we speak, everyone across the internet who has one of these cars is getting “Lawyered up”, just in case they DIDN’T do the right thing. The Spies congratulate MB for turning a lemon into lemonade and we’d like to think that our exposure of this issue, added a little sugar to the mix.

A copy of the letter sent to customers is at

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000147532.cfm
I wonder why a COMAND retrofit is possible in Germany and not in the US. Somebody at my dealer told me that they have been advised not to advertise a COMAND retrofit anymore, even on cars on which the owners already paid for COMAND and/or are pre-wired for COMAND. So if the owner asks for a retrofit, he gets it. But if not, he won't be contacted by the dealer. Rumored reason: cost. It seems that the COMAND retrofit is more expensive than they thought. It also seems to have to do with availability: they don't get enough units out of production for retrofit.
One might never find out what the real reason is but waiting a few months for a new car can be very annoying. I'd suggest for DC to build up some kind of car pool for willing "traders" to be able to serve these customers as soon as possible with a new car. Shouldn't be difficult as most cars are black or silver and most cars have similar options too.