Sponsored by:

Bumped in the rear today by a car backing up - amazingly, no damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Bumped in the rear today by a car backing up - amazingly, no damage

Had one of those "oh sh*t" moments today while taking a new client to lunch. I was already a bit anxious about parking the car in the parking lot near the restaurant - I usually like to park far away from other people, but with a new client, I didnt want to look totally nuts, so I found a reasonably large spot between two cars and took it, hoping nobody would leave me with a door ding. However, after lunch, as we're leaving, I had just clicked my seat belt when I heard my rear PDC alarm go off. I looked in the rear view mirror just in time to see a honda accord backing out of a spot in the row behind me while turning slightly... and he backed into my bumper. I felt the bump, and immediately felt nausous.

I was convinced there would be a crack, gouge or at least a scuff - or that the bump might have pushed the bumper in ever so slightly.

When the other driver got out, he was clearly petrified. Of course, with the new client, I couldnt go totally ape****, as I probably would have done without him there. The guy began to stammer that he didnt see me - and I "shushed him". I very carefully examined the bumper at the point of impact, on either side (where connected to corner panel), underneath it and all around. Amazingly, not even a slight scratch.

I looked and looked and looked, but nothing appeared amiss at all. I then got his name and number, and we left. Client laughed a bit once back in the car, and I was still trying to remain calm and smile about it.

For 10 minutes, we drove to his office, my mind still racing, and I dropped client off - then immediatley raced to a car wash and sprayed area throughly, rechecked again, and because I am beyond neuarotic, I then drove to the body shop where I'd had my wife's car repaired 2 years ago. They happen to be MB certified...which was sweet. The guy came out, checked it all over for me, and confirmed it was fine.

I'm still amazed. I suppose I shouldnt be - as it was probably a 5 mph bump, but still. Could have really sucked ***.

Anyhow, that was the lowlight of my day, week and month.

Anyone else been in a similar "bump" without so much as a scratch?

I'll be over it soon. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
Yes, had exactly the same thing happen to me about three weeks ago. About 3-5mph in a parking lot, and no damage which is what the bumpers are designed for. Paint transfer can happen with a glancing, offset blow but the more direct the better.

Also, it's always better to keep your cool and not go ape**** if the person is polite as they are only cars and accidents do happen as annoying as that can be. Now, if the guilty party is unapologetic and rude then feel free to give them both barrels.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Had the same thing happen to me last week by some 17 year old pot head. I came out of the doctors office after parking pretty far away and his front bumper was parked right into mine and just sitting there! I thought, this person must be the dumbest Mother ****er on the earth because I am going to rip their head off when they come out. Anyways, the person came out and backed up their beat up black Chevy Malibu and surprisingly there was no damage at all or even a scuff! The dude was drinking a slurpy and was like "my bad bro, I usually try to park really close to cars, but never actually hit one before." I was blown away at his audacity and nonchalant carelessness. Anyways, I got all his information in case I ever need to make a claim.