Heat Exchanger Comparison Information

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Heat Exchanger Comparison Information

Hello everyone,
In my quest for a suitable Heat Exchanger for my application, I have come across several Options, the primary differences being:

Some keep in place the OEM Heat Exchanger, with an additional mounted in front of it. Piggy Back system
or

There is a straight replacement of the OEM with the aftermarket of your choice.

Two main types of aftermarket Construction of Heat Exchangers,
1. Bar and Plate

superior interior airflow compared to tube and fin designs
Since the intake tube sits flush with the core, no additional air turbulence is created.

2. Tube and Fin
While the exterior airflow is superior, the interior airflow is inferior to a bar and plate design since the intake charge flows into the open core as opposed to a flush tube.

Bar Plate will have less drop in pressure than tube fin, because the tubes have square leading and trailing edges, they tend to force cooling air around the core, rather than between the rows.
A tube fin H/E of equal size and design will have a higher pressure drop because it has less volume inside the rows for charge air. However, since the leading and trailing edges of the tubes are rounded, they "channel" more air in between the rows

However no pressure drop equals no cooling ,or less pressure drop means less cooling, the idea is finding the median, if the H/E doesnt slow the air it wont Exchange the heat efficiently, which makes it all confusing even more so.

tube fin is superior in the regard that if the core or the rows are made slightly larger than the bar and plate to accomodate the decrease in pressure The result is a HE that flows like a bar plate H/E,but will cool more efficiently because the rows are getting more cooled air between them.
Bar and plate has much more alluminium and that means it is a greater Heat Sink, but that also means it will retain more heat and take longer to dissipate it

Bar and Plate is generally Heavier than Tube and Fin

If a H/E is too large it can cause pressure drop, which will slow down the boost response.
Pressure drop is good for cooling because it means its slowing down to cool, but it is bad bcause boost is not as responsive........

Two main types of cooling with Heat Exchanger
1.Air to Air
2.Fluid to Air
http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...tercooler.html
The above Helped alot in understanding if anyone is confused like me

From what I gather Bar plate are also preffered to be used on air to air cooling applications, where as Fin Tube is the choice for Liquid to Air.

Alll in All , I think the idea is you are not going to see a significant down fall to either, provided you dont go overboard with either application, but find a good design that has data to back it, hence the reason you see some Heat Exchangers that are not much bigger than stock, but claim to work better, the idea is not bigger is better.... no?? Just a slight increase in cooling ability over stock to accomodate the increase in Boost.

Could someone please add to the list if I have missed anything and also kindly elaborate on the two main types of cooling
Air to Air and Fluid to Air, as that is where I was having some trouble finding info.
I appologise if I have got something wrong. I look forward to all your input.

Last edited by AMGV855; 01-21-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
honestly, i did a bunch of research looking for another HE for my car. but after replacing my stock pump with a meziere.. i haven't looked back. I've done a bunch of back to back to back runs without the sc shutting down. maybe in the future ill replace the oem HE. but at the moment its doing pretty well for me.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Red face

Im glad to hear the Stock H/E is doing well for you, but it doesnt seem you have any mods listed that would increase IAT's. Did you upgrade your pump because of modifications made to your vehicle or because the OEM pump is deffecient and has a tendency to result in SuperCharger shutdown? Pump is something almost for sure to go wrong if its the original bosch, which holds you back after a few runs beacuse of increase in IAT's. In my experience for a stock setup with no increase in boost, there is no need for a "better" H/E, which is why you are fine, AMG did a great job on the H/E for the way the car was built and the boost it runs, now if you are modding thats when you start looking into supporting mods and research into what I am discussing above. Cheers!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Originally Posted by vietjdmboi
honestly, i did a bunch of research looking for another HE for my car. but after replacing my stock pump with a meziere.. i haven't looked back. I've done a bunch of back to back to back runs without the sc shutting down. maybe in the future ill replace the oem HE. but at the moment its doing pretty well for me.
What is the part number for the meziere pump you installed? Source? Thanks!!