Sponsored by:

ECU Tune/Adaptive settings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
ECU Tune/Adaptive settings

I am coming down to the wire on my "63", on whether I keep my car or trade it in for something else.or switch to another brand ()!

Question to those who know,,,if you get an ECU tune,,,does it remove all of the adaptive settings forever?? It seems like my hesitation issues probably have to do with adaptive settings and it would be worth getting a tune just for that. If it doesn't,,then what will!

Living in Tennessee,,,dealer will do a Renntech Tune for $3500. Looking around on the board here,,I do see several other options.

Also, if I get a aftermarket warranty,,, how will they know if you got a tune,,?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
you can get a tune from eurocharged.
the tcu is adaptive on our cars, so in other words if the hesitation is gone after the car is driven hard then you will have to drive it hard all the time so the tco leands your driving style.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
I am coming down to the wire on my "63", on whether I keep my car or trade it in for something else.or switch to another brand ()!

Question to those who know,,,if you get an ECU tune,,,does it remove all of the adaptive settings forever?? It seems like my hesitation issues probably have to do with adaptive settings and it would be worth getting a tune just for that. If it doesn't,,then what will!

Living in Tennessee,,,dealer will do a Renntech Tune for $3500. Looking around on the board here,,I do see several other options.

Also, if I get a aftermarket warranty,,, how will they know if you got a tune,,?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Another vote for a Eurocharged tune.

Can't go wrong with Jerry!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: ECU Tune

Walt,

Check out Eurocharged, OETuning, Kleemann....any of these can do your ECU tune for much less than your dealer wants. The tunes will not take away adaptive learning, but talk to the tuner(s) to be sure you are comfortable with who you go with.

If you are the original owner, see what MB will do for an extended warranty, it should be about $4k - $4.5K for an additional 2 years. If your dealer is $$ high, and based on what they want for a tune they probably will be, try another MB dealer or contact Easycare BEFORE your 4/50 warranty is up.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned

BENZ 550
Get SprintBooster you wont have that delay any longer...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 PM

Ok,,,so now I am confused......I thought that if you get a tune,,,that all adaptives will be eliminated....Now, the way I understand it,,the adaptives are still there, but I would have more hp,,right? So in other words, if I have this hesitation that is adaptive, getting a tune won't eliminate it,,I will just have more power but still the same hesitation! Wow!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by shardul
you can get a tune from eurocharged.
the tcu is adaptive on our cars, so in other words if the hesitation is gone after the car is driven hard then you will have to drive it hard all the time so the tco leands your driving style.
Ok,,,I guess I understand,,so if my wife drives it (teacher),,and she only goes a mile or so to school and the same back,,,getting a tune won't help because of her style of driving...!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
An ECU tune will definitely not stop the adaptation programming of the TCU. It will, however, make the car more responsive and much more fun to drive RENNtech is a very reputable company and I'm positive you will enjoy their tune

I'm not really sure of any easy way to re-set adaptations on a 63 other than plugging in the car into a STAR system and doing it from there
Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by emoving
its 3500 because the dealer will 100% cover the car if anything happens.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
An ECU tune will definitely not stop the adaptation programming of the TCU. It will, however, make the car more responsive and much more fun to drive RENNtech is a very reputable company and I'm positive you will enjoy their tune

I'm not really sure of any easy way to re-set adaptations on a 63 other than plugging in the car into a STAR system and doing it from there
I guess I just don't understand....if you can get a tune,,,and put different maps into it,,,why can't you eliminate the adaptations?? Granted the car will be more fun to drive, but when someone else drives the car,,say for a week and you get home and want to drive it,,,the other persons driving habits are in there until you "clear" them out,,right??...Just doesn't sound right......
Old 01-23-2011, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
i have an e55 so i may be 100% wrong. when the tune is applied it will most likely wipe the already stored adaptive settings. it will however adapt to whoever drives it, but it will be more powerfull still. but as far as the teach driving it, if it learns the grandma style, you might try resetting it via the 'sneaky ecu reset'(search it). and if that works, itll be like brand new with tune every time you do it, assuming it works on an e63. hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
i have an e55 so i may be 100% wrong. when the tune is applied it will most likely wipe the already stored adaptive settings. it will however adapt to whoever drives it, but it will be more powerfull still. but as far as the teach driving it, if it learns the grandma style, you might try resetting it via the 'sneaky ecu reset'(search it). and if that works, itll be like brand new with tune every time you do it, assuming it works on an e63. hope this helps.
What you said is kind of what everybody is saying......somehow, I can't believe that the adaptive which is controled by the ECU can't be shut off/on! Maybe a tuner who knows more than what I am talking about can chime in...!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
well its more TCU than ECU, maybe someone who knows there way around star knows?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
3500 for a tune is basically pulling your pants down and been told to bend over and touch your toes.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

What "Hesitation" are you speaking of? Are you referring to the "dead" spot at the beginning of pedal travel? If so, this has nothing to do with adaptations, rather throttle mapping- any tuner who knows what they're doing can get rid of this for you.

Dealers can't "see" an ECU upgrade, so unless you tell them you've done it, they'll never know. However, there will be telltale marks on the ME9.7 ECU (it's sealed and needs to be opened for programming), so in the unlikely event where a technician physically examines your ECU, they'll most likely know something was done to it.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cory @ Kleemann
What "Hesitation" are you speaking of? Are you referring to the "dead" spot at the beginning of pedal travel? If so, this has nothing to do with adaptations, rather throttle mapping- any tuner who knows what they're doing can get rid of this for you.

Dealers can't "see" an ECU upgrade, so unless you tell them you've done it, they'll never know. However, there will be telltale marks on the ME9.7 ECU (it's sealed and needs to be opened for programming), so in the unlikely event where a technician physically examines your ECU, they'll most likely know something was done to it.
Thanks for responding Cory,,,,,,,,,I don't know if you call it a dead spot or what,,,,there are complaints even on the SLS board about this. The best way to describe it, I can press the gas pedal and nothing but the I can count one -thousand before it it accelerates then all hell breaks loose. This does not happen all of the time,,mostly on right hand turns, and when doing a quick stop then accelerating,,,,I call it a off idle bog,,,kind of like in the carb days when the mixture was too rich.....
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Thanks for responding Cory,,,,,,,,,I don't know if you call it a dead spot or what,,,,there are complaints even on the SLS board about this. The best way to describe it, I can press the gas pedal and nothing but the I can count one -thousand before it it accelerates then all hell breaks loose. This does not happen all of the time,,mostly on right hand turns, and when doing a quick stop then accelerating,,,,I call it a off idle bog,,,kind of like in the carb days when the mixture was too rich.....
It really does sound like what Cory is saying. All the tuners can take care of that for you.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by loungn14
It really does sound like what Cory is saying. All the tuners can take care of that for you.
I have had thisa issue for about 3 years,,,, I never really wanted to get a tune because of the warranty issue,,,and living here in Tennessee,,,,no one really knew how to solve the problem,,,,not the dealers,,,not even a AMG factory rep! Hell, now I just might want to keep this car instead of going to the "dark side"....

BTW,,,from someone who does not know,,,,what is "throttle mapping" anyway???
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
I've never had this problem on my CLK with only 5900 miles on the clock. Just for grins, turn off the ESP and see if there is an improvement. You may also want to try an ECU reset which also resets throttle valve and the mixture (you will need to do this with a STAR system).
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Still,,,with anybody in the know, what is "throttle mapping" ??, how is it accomplished?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Still,,,with anybody in the know, what is "throttle mapping" ??, how is it accomplished?

Thanks
Because these cars are drive by wire, throttle opening VS. pedal position is not linear. The signal from the throttle pedal is viewed by the ECU as a torque request. If the pedal is pushed to say 50% very quickly, the ECU sees this as the driver demanding XXX amount of torque very quickly, so the ECU might open the throttle 80% very quickly to fulfill it's calculated torque request based on the drivers input. If the pedal is pushed to 50% very slowly, the ECU may only open the throttle valve 35% much more slowly. Re-mapping throttle response tables will help make throttle valve opening Vs. Pedal position more linear (but not a 1:1 ratio in both opening and speed like a cable operated throttle) and will also remove the "dead" spot at the beginning of pedal travel that all drive by wire MB cars inherently suffer from. Throttle mapping will not, however, remove the ECU's ability to adapt to a specific driving style. ME9.7 cars like your E63 seem to adapt to changes much faster compared to the old ME2.81 V8 Kompressor, but the ECU will still adapt to your driving style.

I don't know of any tuner able to completely disable the adaptive function of these ECU's. I've had discussions with KLEEMANN's programmers about this, and unfortunately, they've not been able to figure out how to disable it- why I don't know, but I suspect this feature is not controlled by the same EPROM that is programmed for ignition timing, fuel delivery, throttle mapping, load maps, etc. That's just my own guess though.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cory @ Kleemann
Because these cars are drive by wire, throttle opening VS. pedal position is not linear. The signal from the throttle pedal is viewed by the ECU as a torque request. If the pedal is pushed to say 50% very quickly, the ECU sees this as the driver demanding XXX amount of torque very quickly, so the ECU might open the throttle 80% very quickly to fulfill it's calculated torque request based on the drivers input. If the pedal is pushed to 50% very slowly, the ECU may only open the throttle valve 35% much more slowly. Re-mapping throttle response tables will help make throttle valve opening Vs. Pedal position more linear (but not a 1:1 ratio in both opening and speed like a cable operated throttle) and will also remove the "dead" spot at the beginning of pedal travel that all drive by wire MB cars inherently suffer from. Throttle mapping will not, however, remove the ECU's ability to adapt to a specific driving style. ME9.7 cars like your E63 seem to adapt to changes much faster compared to the old ME2.81 V8 Kompressor, but the ECU will still adapt to your driving style.

I don't know of any tuner able to completely disable the adaptive function of these ECU's. I've had discussions with KLEEMANN's programmers about this, and unfortunately, they've not been able to figure out how to disable it- why I don't know, but I suspect this feature is not controlled by the same EPROM that is programmed for ignition timing, fuel delivery, throttle mapping, load maps, etc. That's just my own guess though.
Cory, Thank You for explaining it in detail and providing me the insight to the drive by wire feature and the issues of it........I now totally understand how the system works, where as before, it was only a guess....again...MANY THANKS..!!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E63
i think im gonna go with either kleemann or OE tune
ive read a lot of nice things of both tune so i dont think you can go wrong.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
Originally Posted by PetroC63
Another vote for a Eurocharged tune.

Can't go wrong with Jerry!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Tune/Adaptive settings