Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Originally Posted by E55Dimon
must be nice to have oil..

i like the assumptions of others that they think oil money is going to our pocket.

we work as all others do. ordnary people as others. but thank god we have great rulers and president who care about his people.

our personal income doesnt differ alot from other countries.

University graduate earns less than US100k per year.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by tasho3
Or some people like you are afraid of change!
I for one am not afraid for change, actually I'm sure all of us aren't, its just that it looks like they actually paid attn to the front, then a little less on the rear fenders, then on the back its as if they tried to make ugly the new sexy, and they pulled it off on the W211 55Ks and 63s, but this? just a very sad thing to see from Mercedes, especially with the looks of the new SLKs. I don't know if I'll ever come around to this design, but maybe some will.

Last edited by 03'55AMG; 01-27-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
The front and side are good but the rear is really ugly. The exhaust is really ugly.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG & BMW F10
The look from straight front is nice!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CharlyE500
The front and side are good but the rear is really ugly. The exhaust is really ugly.

if you ask for the sport package, the tail tips are diffrent. two big ones = 1 big on each side. and i am seeing some fat deep concave wheels are going to be ordered
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 AM

E55 2003, C32 2002,
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
all info availabe on mercedes-amg website,

sport package includes engine cover, intake, spoiler are all in real CF. + other stuffs such as light alloy wheels, LSD , suspension, etc and more hp & TQ.

i already booked one for me. costed me here in UAE about $163K the top range + sport package.
Ali congratulation, I think you choosed the best 4 doors car .
I love this car .. Amazing looks ..
What about your e55 ?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by tasho3
Or some people like you are afraid of change!
Nobody's afraid of change. But some of us take a stand behind their own aesthetic values and don't just bend over backwards to whatever comes along. New is good but the design is still problematic.

Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
I for one am not afraid for change, actually I'm sure all of us aren't, its just that it looks like they actually paid attn to the front, then a little less on the rear fenders, then on the back its as if they tried to make ugly the new sexy, and they pulled it off on the W211 55Ks and 63s, but this? just a very sad thing to see from Mercedes, especially with the looks of the new SLKs. I don't know if I'll ever come around to this design, but maybe some will.
The main concern for me are those rear fenders. Just like Clarkson was getting at with his witty remarks (and better said then I can.) It makes no design sense and the 'historical connection' is lost on everybody. You have modern creases all over the car and then all of a sudden these retro looking curvy flanks that appear like they came off an entirely different car. It's just totally odd.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
+1 ... also whats with that awefull gearshift? Its the size of a mellon... rest of the car is nice ... drive train potential to mod and could be legendary ... the side sticker says it all to me but its a but like a busty pretty girl with a big behind... tempting but will depreciate fast... and so not marrying material.

Last edited by stevebez; 01-27-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saam55
Ali congratulation, I think you choosed the best 4 doors car .
I love this car .. Amazing looks ..
What about your e55 ?

thanks man

im thinking of keeping it untill i get the CLS and i want to try between it and my E55, just out of fun.

then i will sell it and install my KC kit on the new CLS. lol
Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM

CLS55 plus a few Ducati's
As for the comment about not liking change.... well this is probably the only comment someone can make when they don't see or understand what the others are talking about.
Try this simple test:
Place your hand over the front half of the car to conceal the front fender swoop line that runs backwards: The back of the car has a definite look all its own and isn't too bad (OK subject to opinion of course but bare with me here). Tail lights and rear shape seems to have some theme going on and it flows. If you do this and forget what the front of the car looks like you kind of expect the front to dive down to the nose.
Now place your hand over the back of the car and consider the front (from the front door forward). Same comments apply here in that it seems to work OK.

The problem arises when you combine the two views. The two styles clash at the intersection point of the side creases and one view competes with the other, not compliments the other. Can't people see this????
Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by DucatiNut
As for the comment about not liking change.... well this is probably the only comment someone can make when they don't see or understand what the others are talking about.
Try this simple test:
Place your hand over the front half of the car to conceal the front fender swoop line that runs backwards: The back of the car has a definite look all its own and isn't too bad (OK subject to opinion of course but bare with me here). Tail lights and rear shape seems to have some theme going on and it flows. If you do this and forget what the front of the car looks like you kind of expect the front to dive down to the nose.
Now place your hand over the back of the car and consider the front (from the front door forward). Same comments apply here in that it seems to work OK.

The problem arises when you combine the two views. The two styles clash at the intersection point of the side creases and one view competes with the other, not compliments the other. Can't people see this????
The car just looks terrible.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
That can grow on me, and I never have to look at the back from the driver's seat
Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Anyone notice the carbon ceramic brakes? .... I feel a retrofit coming on .....
Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
No one has mentioned this yet but how bout those mirrors being placed on the doors! ala Lexus.. The mirrors should not be protruding from the damn doors.. That looks awful..
Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
No one has mentioned this yet but how bout those mirrors being placed on the doors! ala Lexus.. The mirrors should not be protruding from the damn doors.. That looks awful..
I saw it too and I also noticed that its on the new 2012 SLK. IMO... Very ugly! But the rest of the car is gorgeous so I didnt mention it because it may be a non factor when I see the car in person.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Goodness, not a very worthy successor to the beautiful CLS. I was really gobsmacked when the first CLS came out. This one, not so much. The side view is just terrible. Granted, I'm sure things will look better in person and grow on us, but still, that side view is just toooo busy and erratic. Plus, I guess I'm afraid of change so that seals the deal.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:58 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
Indeed, it looks horrible and not elegant at all. Worst placement of any current Benz. However, it was done for regulation purposes (the Designers didn't choose for it to be this way). EU cars need to have certain blind-spot visibility, and with the CLS's small windows, they were forced to awkwardly place them on the door. EU regulations are also the reason for the super blunt face, and the kind of unrefined shutline of the hood into the bumper (BMW's all suffer from this as well).

I can't tell if I love it or don't love it. I will say, I think the rear looks practially beautiful, save for the VERY abrupt and questionably unrefined chrome bar on the trunk lid, as it just unfinished-ly ends without any grace. The W212 for example, has a chrome bar that is far more gracefully employed. I also think the rear is a drastic improvement from the current CLS's only real terrible-point, which is its own unsexy rear.

Where my beef lies here is in that terrible side crease. I happen to think the rear fender haunch is well done here, and looks nice, but the crease that starts haphazardly at a random point in it, and is too angular and crisp in contrast to said luscious haunch, just makes no sense. It goes UPWARD, completely jarring the side view, and going against the wedge shape of the car, and the rest of the cars lines (including the one right under it, at the bottom of the doors). Also, the door handles are "leaning back", instead of forward, which also goes against the wedge shape. In the side profile, I'm basically seeing a wedge shaped car, with a line and door handles that go anti-wedge.

I understand what M-B is trying to do. They want to harken a Classic look, i.e that "leaned back luxury" look of old Rolls Royces, classic Boulevard Cruisers, etc. But it just seems the antithesis of a "4-Door Coupe", which is a brand new, very modern style on its own. Also, they're obviously trying to add some variety, and do something different, as all their cars (and all cars) have the more coherent downward "moving" slashes. But good>different, every time.

I do like how the windows are slightly larger than the previous version. The car overall looks more "Sedan" than "Coupe" to me now. Interior looks superb.

All in all, I think the car will have a very strong presence on the road, in that "rolling art form/sculpture" way. For all the good and bad reasons. You have to literally get used to it and digest it in order to possibly understand and/or fall in love with it, or confirm its odd flawed-ness to your eyes, if you are a detail oriented appreciator of design. Otherwise, the "ooh" and "ahh" factor will just win you over right away, if you're a design simpleton like so many of us are.

So far, judging by what's out right now, and coming out in the near future, realistically speaking, the CLS seems to be the top contender to possibly lure me in from the car that I have, were it to have enough of a positive real life effect on me.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
sick interior and liking those calipers
definitely a step up from the previous model
Old 01-30-2011, 08:42 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: New CLS

IMO it looks a little busy from most angles, and looses the timeless elegance of the current CLS. That being said, it looks light years better than W212, I could live this CLS.

If the new TT motor proves to be the powerhouse we hope for, I'm in for an off- lease example in a year or two.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Other than the odd, reptilian taillights, I think the rest looks pretty decent. IMHO, there were weird, unexpected styling cues with the prior CLS. Relative to that one, it's hard for me to not view this as an overall major improvement - especially when one considers the engine, tranny, brakes, and interior.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
University graduate earns less than US100k per year.
OT... University graduates here are fortunate to be finding any "real" employment in general, let alone enough compensation to avoid taking up residence in their parents' basement. FWIW, many of 'em would kill for a six-figure income fresh out of college.

Not judging, or arguing... just sayin'.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
You don't come around to things. You learn to accept it, but your first thought was the best and honest one.

Originally Posted by MPRESIV
The look from straight front is nice!
Exactly, front is nice. Rear is fugly, those exhausts are damn ugly. The shifter is a clunky block, that is not smooth or refined at all.

The engine is awesome, those carbon fiber brakes are tops, but the exterior is what people see and that kind of sucks. It's like this guys:

You have a smart, funny, money making woman, that knows how to please. However, she has a Medusa face. It just ruins that package deal.

Originally Posted by 220S
Nobody's afraid of change. But some of us take a stand behind their own aesthetic values and don't just bend over backwards to whatever comes along. New is good but the design is still problematic.

The main concern for me are those rear fenders. Just like Clarkson was getting at with his witty remarks (and better said then I can.) It makes no design sense and the 'historical connection' is lost on everybody. You have modern creases all over the car and then all of a sudden these retro looking curvy flanks that appear like they came off an entirely different car. It's just totally odd.

Originally Posted by stevebez
+1 ... also whats with that awefull gearshift? Its the size of a mellon... rest of the car is nice ... drive train potential to mod and could be legendary ... the side sticker says it all to me but its a but like a busty pretty girl with a big behind... tempting but will depreciate fast... and so not marrying material.
+1, don't bend your thoughts to just agree. If you think it sucks, just say...it sucks.

Originally Posted by Rust bucket
The car just looks terrible.
+1, it is your honesty.

Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Goodness, not a very worthy successor to the beautiful CLS. I was really gobsmacked when the first CLS came out. This one, not so much. The side view is just terrible. Granted, I'm sure things will look better in person and grow on us, but still, that side view is just toooo busy and erratic. Plus, I guess I'm afraid of change so that seals the deal.
Change is good, but some changes are crucial mistakes. Some people will buy this CLS, but a lot of the previous owners and ones in love with the current body style won't be feeling it much. We shall see.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
If you guys think that this is "change", wait until you see what M-B just revealed will be their future design direction:

Merc showcases future direction - Autocar.co.uk
Old 01-31-2011, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
OT... University graduates here are fortunate to be finding any "real" employment in general, let alone enough compensation to avoid taking up residence in their parents' basement. FWIW, many of 'em would kill for a six-figure income fresh out of college.

Not judging, or arguing... just sayin'.

UAE citizens total old folks, woman, eenagers, children are 800k. and there is 40k un employeed, 10k graduate un employed.

so its everywhere.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
is it me or the rear looks like a maxima/sonata combined? front looks mostly like the C-Class.....way too many lines but the interior.....breath taking!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 CLS63 on US Soil - PICS