Sponsored by:

Replacing valve cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Replacing valve cover gaskets

I'm about to start the process of installing new valve cover gaskets. I read through the (2) DIY's I found and it looks pretty straight forward. I can see you need to use RTV sealant on the passenger side vent chamber. Does the gasket seal the cover to the head by itself or is any RTV sealant needed anywhere along the edge with the gasket? I only want to do this once...

Also, on the driver side cover, there is a upper portion that is about 16" long and contains the plastic fill cap. I assume this section also needs to be sealed with RTV sealant, as is done on the passenger side vent changer?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-31-2011, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Todd Edge
I'm about to start the process of installing new valve cover gaskets. I read through the (2) DIY's I found and it looks pretty straight forward. I can see you need to use RTV sealant on the passenger side vent chamber. Does the gasket seal the cover to the head by itself or is any RTV sealant needed anywhere along the edge with the gasket? I only want to do this once...

Also, on the driver side cover, there is a upper portion that is about 16" long and contains the plastic fill cap. I assume this section also needs to be sealed with RTV sealant, as is done on the passenger side vent changer?

Thanks,
Todd
Todd,

I just finished mine. Just dab some rtv in the 2 corners of the valvecover gasket. (front and back side of the cam) as far as the chambers you will want to remove those first while the valvecover is still bolted down, you will need to remove a few of the torx bolts to be able to remove the chambers, and then the little torx bolts holding the chambers down. You will have to pry the chambers off. Make sure you scrape ALL the old gasket off and spray them down with brake cleaner. Apply new RTV around both chambers and let them sit and tack up for about 8-10 mins then reinstall on the valvecovers. Its not bad at all I would change the Sparkplugs while you are in there LFR7AIX NGK plugs. Mine were almost seized at 60k!! some were really hard to come out. Hope this helps
Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Thanks for the details. Mine are just barely leaking but, want to fix it before it gets bad. I picked up some powdercoated covers from Exotic Metal so the chambers are already ready to go, I only need to add the sealant. I am definitely going to do the plugs with the covers off so I have easy access. Everyone I spoke to seemed to think that the OEM plug wires were just fine and I shouldn't upgrade. I just hit 60K also.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
All I did was clean my wires and spray them out with an air gun. You will be fine reusing them.