Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit advice for e55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
I also run the 9140 so that is a sure bet for the Benz. If you wait till march the Dynavin one for those that currently have command will be available. It will be a plug and play. The current version is for non command cars and if you putbin a car with command you will have to tap into the CAN.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
I also run the 9140 so that is a sure bet for the Benz. If you wait till march the Dynavin one for those that currently have command will be available. It will be a plug and play. The current version is for non command cars and if you putbin a car with command you will have to tap into the CAN.
When you say "Plug and Play" does it use the stock AGW or do you have to replace that too?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 AM

2012 Armada
If I can remeber correctly it is supposed to use factory plugs.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
That's awesome! I really like the dynavin looks and OEM compatibility, but I don't know how good the preamps will be. I also like and know the interface of the kenwood and the eq they have on board are amazing. Also the garmin nav is incredible! Hmmm what to do what to do.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
'06 E55
Any picts ?

I would love to get a system where

a)- I can get to keep the stock buttons around the current screen as it lights up the interior nicely.

b)-I can get an IPOD,Hands free blue tooth and a good Navigation.

So what are my options ?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
I run a Kenwood 9140 also. Custom trim panel and it's the bomb. iPod, Garmin Nav, Back up camera, bluetooth, moving dvd/iPod video and keeps the Dolby 5.1.

The thing rules.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by abrim
That's awesome! I really like the dynavin looks and OEM compatibility, but I don't know how good the preamps will be. I also like and know the interface of the kenwood and the eq they have on board are amazing. Also the garmin nav is incredible! Hmmm what to do what to do.
If you are building a descent sound quality system use the 9140. Better internals.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
If you are building a descent sound quality system use the 9140. Better internals.
Okay perfect. Will I lose the info on the dash? And all that stuff? What about the parktronic noises? I don't really rely on the sounds but it's still nice.

Yeah I will be focal krx3 up front and krx2 in the rear, so sound quality def is a concern to me.

Regarding a center channel, does anyone have any recommendations? Would I run that direct off of the head units 50w output or via amp?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 PM

2012 Armada
Okay perfect. Will I lose the info on the dash? And all that stuff? What about the parktronic noises? I don't really rely on the sounds but it's still nice.

Yeah I will be focal krx3 up front and krx2 in the rear, so sound quality def is a concern to me.

Regarding a center channel, does anyone have any recommendations? Would I run that direct off of the head units 50w output or via amp?
Well if you are concerned about sound you would not be running Focal!! J/K

If you tap into the CAN you can still have your parktronic noise and stuff. But with the 9140 add a back up camera. Center you can get a Focal coaxial if you want to keep with Focal and run it off the Head Unit would be fine. I have some other options but may not do you much good if you are running all passive.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Well if you are concerned about sound you would not be running Focal!! J/K

If you tap into the CAN you can still have your parktronic noise and stuff. But with the 9140 add a back up camera. Center you can get a Focal coaxial if you want to keep with Focal and run it off the Head Unit would be fine. I have some other options but may not do you much good if you are running all passive.
Are focals not supposed to have good SQ? I was told they are one of the best? Do you have any other recommendations?

What other options do you recommend? I am all ears and want a great sounding system
Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Are focals not supposed to have good SQ? I was told they are one of the best? Do you have any other recommendations?

What other options do you recommend? I am all ears and want a great sounding system
Hertz are another option...I have a 4" Focal in the center channel of the E55 and it works great.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55

Don't listen to him... He's spoiled

I've been running Focals high end components for years and have no complaints. Their cheaper coaxial's though, well I have problems with those all the time.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 PM

2012 Armada

Focals are fine. I was just busting your ***** because I am not a huge fan of there stuff especially the tweeter. But like TGOSS said I am spoiled a bit. As for your center. You can run a coaxial or a wideband midrange.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Focals are fine. I was just busting your ***** because I am not a huge fan of there stuff especially the tweeter. But like TGOSS said I am spoiled a bit. As for your center. You can run a coaxial or a wideband midrange.
I agree that the tweeter is extremely bright. What else would you recommend? What components do you run in yours?

The shop was also going to coax mount the krx2s in the rear, wondering if that is a good idea? I'm not a fan of coax mounted speakers, but my sound knowledge comes from big PA speakers and studio monitors so I'm not too sure on how that would relate to in car setups.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 PM

2012 Armada
I agree that the tweeter is extremely bright. What else would you recommend? What components do you run in yours?

The shop was also going to coax mount the krx2s in the rear, wondering if that is a good idea? I'm not a fan of coax mounted speakers, but my sound knowledge comes from big PA speakers and studio monitors so I'm not too sure on how that would relate to in car setups.
I run DynAudio Esotars all the way around except my center. I have a Micro Precision 5.8 (3" wide band driver)

I would not recommend coaxing your doors that would kill your sound stage.

As far recommending something. I would say the Dyn's Esotars or Esotecs. Rainbow Profi Vanadiums or the Profi's. Micro Precision 5 or 7 series, and The Hertz Mille's are not a bad option as well.

All these drivers can be run off axis. I would put the tweet in the A piller if you can.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
I run DynAudio Esotars all the way around except my center. I have a Micro Precision 5.8 (3" wide band driver)

I would not recommend coaxing your doors that would kill your sound stage.

As far recommending something. I would say the Dyn's Esotars or Esotecs. Rainbow Profi Vanadiums or the Profi's. Micro Precision 5 or 7 series, and The Hertz Mille's are not a bad option as well.

All these drivers can be run off axis. I would put the tweet in the A piller if you can.
Perfect, thanks for your recommendations! Been talking to my shop and they love the esotars but were saying they compress when the volume gets pretty loud. I listen to my music very loud, and it's mainly a lot of punchy electronic modern music. A lot of house and trance (judge as you like). how do your esotars react with loudness? Would they even be acceptable with the jl audio hd amps, or wouldthey need to benefit from a traditional amp?

I agree with the tweeter in the a pillar, I definitely want to do that. Yeah they were going to coax the rear krx2s but separate mount the krx3s in the front.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 PM

2012 Armada
Perfect, thanks for your recommendations! Been talking to my shop and they love the esotars but were saying they compress when the volume gets pretty loud. I listen to my music very loud, and it's mainly a lot of punchy electronic modern music. A lot of house and trance (judge as you like). how do your esotars react with loudness? Would they even be acceptable with the jl audio hd amps, or wouldthey need to benefit from a traditional amp?

I agree with the tweeter in the a pillar, I definitely want to do that. Yeah they were going to coax the rear krx2s but separate mount the krx3s in the front.
They have never done that for me and I have the first set to hit the US so I have been running them for a few years now. They will play loud with out fail as long as you are feeding them power. They like power. The JL HD amps should be fine. Not my forst choice or any choice but they will do the job especially since you already have them.

It is alright to Coax the rears. If it was me I would lose the rears all together unless you are going to processsing 5.1 other wise you have no need for them. I would bridge the channels you were using for the rears to put more power to your front stage.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
They have never done that for me and I have the first set to hit the US so I have been running them for a few years now. They will play loud with out fail as long as you are feeding them power. They like power. The JL HD amps should be fine. Not my forst choice or any choice but they will do the job especially since you already have them.

It is alright to Coax the rears. If it was me I would lose the rears all together unless you are going to processsing 5.1 other wise you have no need for them. I would bridge the channels you were using for the rears to put more power to your front stage.
Okay cool. My shop is gonna bring me in to listen to the focals, the dynaudios and the Boston pros all next to eachother and I can decide what my ears like the best.

Yeah we are going to bridge one 600/4 for the front 3 way system and use another 600/4 for the rear speakers. Should provide enough power to the fronts. I was going to do the rears for staging, as I like to feel fully encompassed in the music. I may not need it with so much power up front but hey! Did you do the rears in your car?

Also do you think the one 13TW5 will be enough subwoofer for the car? I notice most cars use 2 subs in the rear deck area.

I feel like I should be paying you for all this advice haha! Thank you so much
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 F15 M, '06 E55, '20 Highlander, '18 M550

You have the Second set.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Faast
Any picts ?

I would love to get a system where

a)- I can get to keep the stock buttons around the current screen as it lights up the interior nicely.

b)-I can get an IPOD,Hands free blue tooth and a good Navigation.

So what are my options ?

Thanks

Here are a few pics of the Dynavin unit in my car. It was recently removed, but I snapped a few prior to doing so ..

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...coupe/Dynavin/
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 AM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
Here are a few pics of the Dynavin unit in my car. It was recently removed, but I snapped a few prior to doing so ..

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...coupe/Dynavin/
how did you like it? were you a test vehicle for the dynavin? why was it removed?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM

I liked it just fine and for the money it really is a pretty good piece. However I do own/operate a 12V shop, so it only targeted a small percentage of my clients and I had to go back to 'universal' aftermarket.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
you guys have absolutely no idea how badly i'm itching to comment on every single part of this.haha i sell all this stuff all day long and have some experience with installation as well. i do not suggest running center channel off of the 17 watts rms the stereo is probably pushing out OP. crossovers and bass blockers are the name of the game..i'm not the biggest fan of "high fidelity" sound systems with anything less than 100% copper wire all the way around and using the power off of the stereo AND aftermarket amplifiers. they don't mix. some people might say they're doing it on their own cars and they love it...i'm saying my ears are different.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 AM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
I liked it just fine and for the money it really is a pretty good piece. However I do own/operate a 12V shop, so it only targeted a small percentage of my clients and I had to go back to 'universal' aftermarket.
Do you have the unit available for purchase? I would take it off your hands today if you do! I understand it only appealing to a very small fraction of your customers, not many people with mercedes want to upgrade their head units. what do you have in there normally?

Thanks very much for your help!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by michael kuzni
you guys have absolutely no idea how badly i'm itching to comment on every single part of this.haha i sell all this stuff all day long and have some experience with installation as well. i do not suggest running center channel off of the 17 watts rms the stereo is probably pushing out OP. crossovers and bass blockers are the name of the game..i'm not the biggest fan of "high fidelity" sound systems with anything less than 100% copper wire all the way around and using the power off of the stereo AND aftermarket amplifiers. they don't mix. some people might say they're doing it on their own cars and they love it...i'm saying my ears are different.

Bass blockers ? Really ? I don't think I have had the NEED to use one of those for the past decade.

100% copper ? The closest you're gonna get to that, especially in 12V is 4N. Pure copper, sure. 100% pure - sorry - no dice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Head Unit advice for e55