Sponsored by:

Wheel Weights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CL600
Wheel Weights

Anyone else find it troublesome that either A) Wheel weights by size are not published information provided by most high end wheel manufacturers or B) Wheel weights are so hard to find *if* they are published that most often you give up long before you actually find the information.

It would seem to me, especially on forums such as this, that most think weight is important as it can affect performance. This forum, for example, has so many people interested in good looking, high end wheels that we often talk about little else. Yet finding out how much our favorite wheels weigh is damn near impossible. Also, given the costs of our favorite brands you would think that every single aspect of manufacturing/testing/specifications would be readily available as we are a group of enthusiasts, not a bunch of people who put wheels on simply to say we have aftermarket wheels. Just seems strange to me that wheels that can cost $2500+ each don't give specs, yet companies like OZ Racing publish everything they can think of about their products at 1/10th the price.

Perhaps if we all chimed in the manufacturers/dealers might change their ads a bit to accommodate weight as well as looks?

Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Although it's undisputed that wheel weights can either positively or negatively affect a car's handling and ultimate performance, the simple fact remains that we're driving two ton barges from a handling perspective.

You can easily overcome slightly heavier wheels with the next power mod, so don't waste too much time worrying about wheels' weights. These aren't F1 cars where every gram matters. There's always the next power mod available for our cars, and that's why they're so fun to own.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CL600
Agreed on all points. I was simply saying that for the price these guys are asking for wheels, they could at aleast provide weights in case I might be interested in it while making a decision
Regards
Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
But on a daily driven basis where rolling weight makes a much bigger difference than static weight, I think in the long run can add up to a lot. Plus for people that go to the track it does make a big difference. I agree with the OP.