W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys take your cars to dealer for Service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Funny to read the posts here, in the past I took my car to the dealer, and here is why.
1. I was doing contract work directly for the owner of the dealership.
2. My car was still under MB free service (04 MBs had for 4 years).
3. MB warranty still in effect.
4. Aftermarket warranty in effect, covered more than the MB warranty.
5. Service manager would let me in the service area and allow me to watch over the tech.
Now here is the reality of having you car serviced at a MB dealer.
1. The service department is the profit center of the dealership.
2. The SA is coached on how to extract the most money from you.
3. High turnover among new techs, 80% have less than 2 yrs exp on MBs.
4. You will pay full retail for parts at MB dealers
5. At most dealers they take your car and hide, They don't want anyone to see.

Did you ever drop off your car for service, and get a call later that day to tell you your car is ready. Then when you arrive at the dealer they have a work order 4 pages long of things they found wrong and repaired all of them under warranty for free! When you look at the work order you see there is a small charge of $300 for fluids and materials not covered under warranty? LOL When you ask, they say "you are so lucky we caught this problem" and "look at all the work you got for free" BS.
Basically all you want is a trustworthy, knowledgeable, tech that can be dealt with face to face. I don't need a receptionist, service manager, car runner, newbie tech, old tech to teach newbie tech, and helpless car washer that can wash my car dirtier than it was when I brought it in.
The order of things, a person attends community collage and gets a general automotive certificate. Goes to work at the MB dealer in town, really sticks to it and over the next 4 years is skilled enough to beat factory flat rate. He then realizes that he can more money as an independent and leaves MB. He opens a small shop and starts to earn 4X more than he made at the dealership and only has to charge half of what the dealer charges. At the end of the day, it is like any thing else, you only get out what you put in.

At this point I only go to the dealer for hard to find or dealer only parts.

There is a word that describes people that think they get a good deal from a dealership.
And one born every minute right.

Maybe it comes down to personal experiences and options available as far as indys go.

I live in a small metro area. There aren't many people willing to touch a merc. I have taken cars to two different indys in Indy. Both of them made rookie mistakes costing me significant money and inconvenience. Even worse, neither shop was willing to stand behind the mistakes they made. The dealership fixed the problems both times at a discounted rate.

Maybe I get special treatment because I know the owner and am friends with his son, not sure. I have been in the service shop many times. Maybe there is wide disparity among MB service shops throughout the country.

Maybe I will take my 55 to Jiffy Lube next time I need the oil changed. I wonder if they will get the proper oil quantity in the beast.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by emoving
My AMG tech has been there for 14 years. I never pay full retail on parts because I shop around first and then then usually match or get very close. Our service bay at Crown MB has a huge glass wall if you choose to sit there and watch your car being worked on. Sounds like you have a prehistoric crap hole dealer! I would suggest you find a new one.
Yeah, it's all about the dealership. Some just suck and some don't.

I moved to a smaller town. It's right on the ocean with perfect climate. It's hard to find jobs and live because of the expense. My tech has been with the dealer for centuries. No reason to give up a good job in tropical paradise. Same with my SA. Plus the town is small enough to where somebody's good or bad rep gets known fast. There's also a really good Indy here with Star and he loves AMGs.

Just depends on the situation. If I had a crappy dealer, I'd be elsewhere. When I was in LA most of the dealers didn't care; too many customers and just too much crap for them to face every day, etc..
Old 02-13-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 E 450 4 matic wagon, cadilliac CTS AWD performance ,2018 VW Tiguan SUV 2006 CLS55 030pkg modded
Dealership Service

I took my car to dealer when I first got it, to see all service recorders from original 1 owner car. They had record since it was built and shipped from germany. Did service B and now go to Motorwerks, Mi for warranty work and performance work , Also have Autodoctor , mi for Mercedes and my Jaguar service mainly Jaguar . The dealership is very expensive and the service manager I use seems to be honest but don't need them.. I have my own mechanic who are more honest and have a long term relationship . Also you need to do your research on any work and know something about cars, Anybody can take your money and "Reap u Off". badm