Sponsored by:

Loss of power during hard shifts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Loss of power during hard shifts

With traction control off, I can roast the tires in first gear and when it shifts to 2nd gear, the car falls flat on its face and then picks back up the power as soon as second gear is engaged. Is this simply a protection mode to prolong the transmission? If this is normal, can a tune keep the power on during shifts? I don't see how you can run the car at the track with some spinning and expect to run good times when the car drops all of its power during shifts. It is as if the supercharger cuts off or the motor pulls all the timing during shifts.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Todd Edge
With traction control off, I can roast the tires in first gear and when it shifts to 2nd gear, the car falls flat on its face and then picks back up the power as soon as second gear is engaged. Is this simply a protection mode to prolong the transmission? If this is normal, can a tune keep the power on during shifts? I don't see how you can run the car at the track with some spinning and expect to run good times when the car drops all of its power during shifts. It is as if the supercharger cuts off or the motor pulls all the timing during shifts.

Thanks,
Todd

It's the torque management. You'll feel the power go away, the car will shift, and then it will take a half second or so for it to feed the power back in. Also, if the car spins at the track the run is pretty much over. The key is to learn how to walk it out and then feed the power in as quickly as you can.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 PM

E55
Thanks. We're hoping to address this in the upcoming tune. I'm swapping on the drag radials this weekend to see if we can get any use out of 1st gear from a dig. Yep, spinning out of the hole is pretty much a wasted pass...

Regards,
Todd
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e55
It could also be shifting before it hits the rev limiter, so youre not going the optimum speed for it to be in second, hence the bogging.

Wheels might be spinning til 40mph, but youre actually only going 25mph, etc.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
What you're feeling is the torque management. It's there to preserve the transmission. It can be removed via a tune. But then you will be buying a new transmission down the road...