W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL for '"unmetered air entering engine" - MB says it is the modified Throttle Body??

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Try the reset again but this time open the blade up a little with your finger before it re adapts its self.if that don't work you have a leak.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Interesting idea, and I see where you are going with this...I'll give it a shot tomorrow. When I watch it adapt, it seems to want to close more that it should. It seemed like it got stuck, then popped back open, then did a few more clicks then done.
Thanks!
Bill
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG, 72' Toyota Carina, 63' Ford F100, 72' Mercedes 250c, 15' Harley Davidson Softail
I'm in the exact same boat as you Wysbert, replaced the valve cover gaskets and now keep on getting the CEL. Ive literally tried resetting the TB 5-6 times and checked all over the place for some sort of leak but to know avail.

Im gonna try skratch recommend later tonight and see what happens.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Did you move the throttle plate by chance? Anxious to see your results.
Bill
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM

E55 AMG, 72' Toyota Carina, 63' Ford F100, 72' Mercedes 250c, 15' Harley Davidson Softail
so I tried holding the blade open a little while the tb was adapting, afterwards it made the car alot worse. instead of rpm's hanging at 1200-1500 it went as high as 3000rpms.

Im almost certain there's a vacuum leak but I just cant seem to find the damn thing.

I was wondering if the steering had anything do to with the leak since when I move my steering wheel it draws the vacuum and the rpms drop a little?? anybody have any ideas?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 PM

hey Wysbert and OP I found this while searching around the boards, gonna try it later tonight and see whats what.

Originally Posted by MBTEK
VERY COMMON ON 55K CARS THAT PEOPLE DO THEIR V/C GASKETS ON. REMOVE YOUR AIR CLEANER ASSY,TAKE A FLASHLIGHT AND LOOK AT THE THE SILVER METAL LINE THAT IS YOUR PURGE LINE @ THE LT. REAR OF THE ENGINE. YOU PROBABLY TOOK IT OFF WHEN DOING THE COVERS CAUSE IT'S HELD DOWN BY ONE OF THE BOLTS.LOOK REAL CLOSE WHERE IT GOES INTO THE BACK OF THE CHARGER,IT'S REAL EASY TO MISS THE GROMMET IT SLIDES INTO.HOPE THAT HELPS.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:44 PM

E55
Originally Posted by AMG_RL
hey Wysbert and OP I found this while searching around the boards, gonna try it later tonight and see whats what.

FYI, the line connects to drivers side valve cover. It is the upper bolt closest to the firewall. You have to take off the boot from the throttle body to the air filters to be able to get a real good look to see if it is connected. When you install the cover on the drivers side, you have to bend the line out of the way about 1". That line can definitely pop out without you having any idea. Get a good flashlight and pocket mirror and you just need to follow the line under the tb and it sits in a black gromet under the blower.

Todd
Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 PM

I wasn't able to see where the line terminates, but I wiggled it and could hear the end scraping against metal. So, I am guessing it is out of the grommet.
I will confirm tomorrow, as I didn't have enough time to get into it tonight. Looks like I will have to remove the right tank to get to where I can access the line better. Wasn't able to get my hand up under there or even get my inspection mirror to a point I could see the end of it.
I love this forum. I'll post back as soon as I get to it.
Thanks for all the help so far!

Bill
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by wsybert
I wasn't able to see where the line terminates, but I wiggled it and could hear the end scraping against metal. So, I am guessing it is out of the grommet.
I will confirm tomorrow, as I didn't have enough time to get into it tonight. Looks like I will have to remove the right tank to get to where I can access the line better. Wasn't able to get my hand up under there or even get my inspection mirror to a point I could see the end of it.
I love this forum. I'll post back as soon as I get to it.
Thanks for all the help so far!

Bill

Bill That's exactly what it was!!! you will need to remove the surge tank in order to see the grommet, not hard at all just remove the bolts and loosen the clamp next to the firewall. I used a mirror to see the grommet and indeed the hardpipe was loose and out. re-inserted the pipe into the grommet, reset the Check engine light...and SUCCESS! runs like a champ again.

thanks to everyone on the forum for such useful information, god knows how much the stealership would have charged just to diagnose

- Reepak
Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 PM

E55
I wouldn't remove the surge tank unless you absolutely can't do it. Put the hood in the extended/90 degree position, remove the tubing from the throttle body to both filters and remove the drivers side filter housing(pops right off). take off the one bolt on the ds valve cover so that the metal line is loose and you can manipulate it back into the gromet. Put a towel over the fender and you will have to lean right into the throttle body with a flashlight and a pocket mirror. I used a dental mirror so I could get the mirror in a better position. Just follow the line to where it goes under the throttle body and that will give you a good idea about what/where to start looking with the mirror. I could easily see mine and had to move it slightly to reseat it properly.

Todd
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Edge
I wouldn't remove the surge tank unless you absolutely can't do it. Put the hood in the extended/90 degree position, remove the tubing from the throttle body to both filters and remove the drivers side filter housing(pops right off). take off the one bolt on the ds valve cover so that the metal line is loose and you can manipulate it back into the gromet. Put a towel over the fender and you will have to lean right into the throttle body with a flashlight and a pocket mirror. I used a dental mirror so I could get the mirror in a better position. Just follow the line to where it goes under the throttle body and that will give you a good idea about what/where to start looking with the mirror. I could easily see mine and had to move it slightly to reseat it properly.

Todd
Why not remove the tank? Just curious. I assume they will need a gasket...which I don't have.
Kind of gives me a reason to powder coat them though.
I'll try it your way first.
Thank you!
Bill
Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 AM

you can reuse the gaskets, they are metal. Just stick a rag in the holes to make sure nothing gets in the manifold while you're working, made the job ALOT easier for me than trying to stick my hand in there lol.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Well, I finally had some time to get to this. Was able to verify it was out of the grommet. Did it by feel, and was able to get it back in without removing anything additional.
FIXED IT!!!
Idle is normal, no surging coming to a stop, and CEL is out.
Thank you all for the help. Would have never found the issue without it.
Bill
Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
If the secondary air injection valve is stuck at one position or malfunctioning can it cause random misfires? Misfire at idle and idle fluctuation?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
Originally Posted by benz_addict
If the secondary air injection valve is stuck at one position or malfunctioning can it cause random misfires? Misfire at idle and idle fluctuation?
anyone