W211 Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
W211 Suspension Mods

Does anyone know of any suppliers for lowering modules, or ideally a software or control unit upgrade for the Airmatic DC controller, that will lower the car and reduce the amount of body roll?
Old 05-10-2003, 07:56 PM

Porsche 997 Turbo
Re: W211 Suspension Mods

Originally posted by stephens
Does anyone know of any suppliers for lowering modules, or ideally a software or control unit upgrade for the Airmatic DC controller, that will lower the car and reduce the amount of body roll?
I suppose you don't care telling you not to do it, right?
Playing around with the Airmatic can mess up the whole setup of the car, AMG doesn't recommend doing this.

But here you go: over here in Germany, Brabus offers an electronic lowering for the E55, I bet other Mercedes tuners like Renntech in the US too.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
AMG wouldn't recommend re-mapping the ECU, increasing the pulley size, or any other modification for that matter! This doesn't mean that the changes don't work, just that they are not MB authorised changes.

Ducati got over this problem on its bikes by rebranding aftermarket accesories as "Ducati Performance" items. As long as a Ducati Performance part is installed by an authorised dealer, your warranty is unaffected.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:10 PM

Porsche 997 Turbo
Originally posted by stephens
AMG wouldn't recommend re-mapping the ECU, increasing the pulley size, or any other modification for that matter! This doesn't mean that the changes don't work, just that they are not MB authorised changes.

Ducati got over this problem on its bikes by rebranding aftermarket accesories as "Ducati Performance" items. As long as a Ducati Performance part is installed by an authorised dealer, your warranty is unaffected.
The problem is that AMG has serious reasons not to approve such modifications, one major reason would be safety.
It might not be much of a concern in the US but over here in Germany it is. Imagine driving on the Autobahn at 300 kph (188 mph) top speed and the suspension goes up. Or imagine driving at that speed with unauthorized 19'' rims and the rims heat up, start to expand and the tire touches somewhere. Or...there are so many examples. Do you really think a rim manufacturer puts the same effort in testing their products in ANY thinkable situation as AMG does? Or do you think a Tuner applies the same testing procedures when they lower the E55's airmatic? I don't think so. One reason why most products available to the US market are a "no go" in Germany. They never get TÜV.
Speaking of products approved by the TÜV: engine upgrades usually decrease reliability of many parts, not only engine parts. Why should AMG pay for damage done by aftermarket installs? This doesn't make sense.
But my major concern is always safety. When I read how people choose their tire brand/type to their liking, I get pretty shocked.
On high performance cars, tires are the most important thing. Choose the wrong one and you might have some nasty surprises at extreme driving situations. Again: I'm talking about extreme driving and/or driving at high speeds (I don't call driving at 125 mph high speed, just for your information... ).

But I think I went through a similar discussion many times over and over again on different internet forums and people just don't believe it. Well, everybody chooses his own destiny, right?!